Did this guy deserve my footpeg through his car door?

Offroader

1 MW
I got in to a small accident and while it may seem I am at fault, I feel that he should have taken the turn slower and looked before turning.

I was riding in a somewhat busy street, which is one lane in one direction and another lane in another direction. It is a main street for the area, but speed limit is probably 25 or 30 MPH. While riding I saw a police car coming towards me in the oncoming traffic lane. I decided to speed up and ride to the right side of the car in front of me to avoid the police car seeing me on my ebike which has footpegs and also looks like a small motorcycle.

While I did this, I estimate I could have been riding about 30MPH, I was probably towards back right of his car, this guy makes a fairly quick right turn into a parking lot of a store cutting me off.

What I did was lock the rear brakes and turn the wheel right. I believe the rear of my bike skidded out fast and slammed very hard into the middle of his very new 4 door car. I fell into his car with my left shoulder. My left shoulder hurt for a day and I had some scrapes on my left arm from rubbing on his car. My footpeg bracket broke on my bike.

I didn't look to see the damage but I assume that if my footpeg bracket broke from my bike slamming sideways into his car, because I skidded the rear out on my bike right into the side of his car, it must have done some damage to what looked to be a nice new shiny 4 door car.

My feelings are that even though I probably should not have been to his right, he should have slowed down to a low speed and turned slowly into his right turn into the driveway. If he would have done this it would have given me lots of time to react to his turn. This is exactly what I do when riding my car because I will slow my speed to 10-15MPH slowly and then really look before making a right turn into a driveway on a busy street. I always assume someone is trying to pass me on my right or go around me on my right. This guy it seems made a pretty quick right turn into the driveway.

I feel that this guy deserved any damage I did to his car and hopefully he learned a lesson to not turn so quickly into a parking lot without slowing up and checking that nobody is trying to go around you in my busy city.

Some questions:

1) Do you feel that he deserved any damage he got on his car for making a right turn into a driveway giving me no time to react to his turn?

Or think of it like this, if friend came to you and said someone slammed into the side of his car after he was making a right turn into a store driveway on a busy street, would you say it was his fault or the bikes fault.

2) Was it a smart thing for me to lock up the rear wheel and slam the rear of my bike into his car and falling sideways into his car as a way to avoid injuring myself. I believe that the bike and footpeg bracket breaking took some of the impact off the crash and saved my expensive fork of my bike.

3) Should I have tried and applied any front brake?

Here is a pic to the damaged footpeg bracket on my bike, the impact must have been fairly hard to crack and bend the bracket as its thick aluminum. The bracket broke and part of it bent inwards.

pzZpFxM.jpg

As far as the smart thing to do to keep getting hurt, there's never enough description to be sure. But I have that same instinct, slide the bike out. I've just in the last few months recovered enough that I'm riding about every day again, ah, new memories of the way nitwits drive are being made every week. But I'm not creating new memories for others about nitwits on bikes. Don't listen to Critical Mass, nobody should expect to be the center of the universe when they're on a bike. I don't know how much good the front brake would have done, this sounds instantaneous. But that car in front of you was more important than the cop,there is where your attention should have stayed.

No he doesn't deserve any damage to his car. I assume this was a hit and run? If you were just a bicycle, I don't know how you'd be treated for that, but I would guess you're a motor vehicle and it'll be bad if they ever catch you. (I might guess they won't.) Maybe you have a regular bike to claim you were riding just in case they do? I bet he'll barely notice the low golfball dent. Shoulder impact may or may not have left a mark. (Wouldn't it be funny if he just thought it was the unlevel gutter bouncing him, etc., never knew you hit him? You haven't said.) California is clear that you passed to the right without a lane, automatic fault. Dicey for bicycle, I think the motor and the being able to go faster than him at the speed limit is NOT dicey on that. There is no "Even though. . . ." Especially since that assumes he even knew what you were doing behind him. He has a right to turn in the driveway, he has a right to have you riding as though he's there, etc. Have you ever been rear ended by an idiot who tries to claim it's YOUR fault for stopping at a red light? Or for slowing when the car in front of you did? The guy in front of you owns the road, period. At least while he stays in his ONE LANE. (They don't, do they?)

Funny how doing something to keep the cops from noticing you seems to get you noticed. Are you saying you got away from the guy you hit, the cop never noticed, that this is more or less Chaplinesque? I think a peg like that, aluminum or steel, bends pretty easy. If it had been your wheel hitting it you would have been walking it home.

Never mind when drivers don't stop like you thought, what about when they don't KEEP GOING the way you expected? Lady, you WERE going to be clear before I got there,NOW you're in the way. Or if I stopped, that means you get to keep going and now you're just confusing everybody by stopping and backing up traffic behind you and waiting for me when I'm ALREADY STOPPED! Like I'm supposed to feel guilty for not just mindlessly dashing out in front of you. There's no real predicting what the car is going to do because you don't really know what the driver is thinking. But when the car is in front of you, DON'T CATCH UP TO IT!

Completely your fault and would not have happened if you weren't trying to avoid police and focused on the road with out making illegal maneuvers.

boytitan said:
Completely your fault and would not have happened if you weren't trying to avoid police and focused on the road with out making illegal maneuvers.

I don't know how true that is because I noticed I ride to the right of cars on this street. Its a busy city street and you have room to easily pass cars on the right. That is why cars need to pay extra careful attention.

If you were right in your thinking, then why don't I just pull in front of the next person who tries to pass me on the right while in my car, why not because it would be 100% his fault.

Offroader said:
If you were right in your thinking, then why don't I just pull in front of the next person who tries to pass me on the right while in my car, why not because it would be 100% his fault.

Umm, because it's YOUR funeral?

Offroader said:
1) Do you feel that he deserved any damage he got on his car for making a right turn into a driveway giving me no time to react to his turn?

"Deserved?" About as much as you "deserved" to break the footpeg I guess. You were both at fault. Him for not noticing you; you for not leaving enough space for him. Cars pull into driveways all the time.

Its a busy city street and you have room to easily pass cars on the right.
Then either slow down so you can stop in time or take the lane if you want to go fast.

Back