Discussions aren't the same quality without Chalo

Rix said:
I cant tell you how many discussion I had about the size of Spoke Diameters correlating with wheel strength and how Chalo would argue my comments saying spoke size had nothing to do with wheel strength because the strength of the wheel was based on spoke tension and how good the wheel builder built the wheel. Ironically, there was some factual basis for his comments even though in-accurate.

He's correct: Rim and hub strength dictate the maximum spoke tension that can be supported and for a given tension you can have thinner spokes under high stress or thicker ones under low stress. Spokes are need to be elastic so work best under high stress so thick ones under low stress will give a weaker, less reliable wheel. Wheel builder skill is required to ensure spokes are sufficiently and evenly tensioned.

grindz145 said:
torker said:
e-beach said:
There is a new poll in town: Should Chalo be un-banned from Endless Sphere?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=104759

:D :bolt:

Really! Who started that?

Probably Chalo under an assumed identity. I demand an ip address audit :lol:

Actually I started it. And without asking Chalo about. It just seemed like a thing to do. Turns out Chalo was more appreciated then disliked. As of this posting, 23 votes to lift the ban on him vs 2 to keep him banned.

However, an IP audit is fine by me, depending on the India Pale ale. :wink:

So it you want an IP audit, next time you are in SoCal, PM me and perhaps we can audit a few nice cold IP ales at a local watering hole.

marty said:
fechter said:
I miss Chalo. Abrasive, but almost always right.

But even if he was un-banned, I doubt he would come back.
OK Fechter, you have the power. Please click the Welcome Back button.
but before you do, pls answer this.

1. pls confirm that the Lie-pedal rule is not an E*S rule.
seeing how two admin have now responded in this thread i guess i got suckered by ypedal into believing there is a rule.
either lock this thread as well as the chalo poll or unlock the others, dealer's choice.
but consider carefully if it should be a rule while i sharpen the long knives to cut down how (save for the pedal bike stuff), chalo wuz almost never right.

2. speaking of lock, he is the reason why i manipulated allah yooz to gather here today dearly beloved.
i didn't see anyone campaigning to overturn the ban on LockH.

is this what it's come down to, a popularity contest?
start a poll every time?
is this a good way to draft forum policy?

personally i gaf if chalo is unbanned or not, but i got a lot more out of LockH's posts.
(note that i didn't call him a more valuable member or a 'better' contributor like the pompous asses who think they are the final arbiter to make that judgement call for everyone.)
so if you're gonna unban one then you must unban them all.

c u in the future... if there is one.

I think Lock forgot his password and for some reason it wasn't recoverable, thus the new name. I could be wrong, but I don't think he was ever banned.

Re Ypedal, he had some kind of issue with Safe, and Safe went too far with his coloring and caps one too many times, and Ypedal just didn't want to hear anything more about Safe.

e-beach said:
grindz145 said:
torker said:
e-beach said:
There is a new poll in town: Should Chalo be un-banned from Endless Sphere?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=104759

Really! Who started that?

Probably Chalo under an assumed identity. I demand an ip address audit :lol:

Actually I started it. And without asking Chalo about. It just seemed like a thing to do. Turns out Chalo was more appreciated then disliked. As of this posting, 23 votes to lift the ban on him vs 2 to keep him banned.

However, an IP audit is fine by me, depending on the India Pale ale. :wink:

So it you want an IP audit, next time you are in SoCal, PM me and perhaps we can audit a few nice cold IP ales at a local watering hole.

Deal. 8)

Interestingly, LockH was banned by the same person that banned Chalo and for similar reasons. Don't piss off a moderator. I found LockH's posts pretty entertaining myself.

But this is all in the past and my guess is if either of them wanted to come back, they would have already come back with a different user name.

Oh, I didn't realize it was so easy to be banned. I have seen a lot go down before another member got banned. A number of members go against the moderators wishes to leave that members posts alone, and probably multiple pm:s to that member to leave the other members alone. It ended with the member (ok, EG, timid tim, motor modder) being banned eventually. But other members that went against more than one wish from the moderators seem to be unaffected afterwords.
Chalos posts were a bit offensive sometimes, but not to bad I think? I sure didn't see it coming with LockH?

LockH was simply Lock before his illness, I believe. Is LockH really banned? For what? Not that I read everything, or even close, but I've never seen him post anything problematic. And Chalo...sure he had some strong opinions leaning far left of me, and anything more than a low powered pedelec was a motorcycle in his view that deserve full government regulation (the polar opposite of my view of electrics) but I accepted that and respect is bicycle related knowledge.

Maybe I should be more careful or I'll get banned too, but there's not a chance in hell I'm gonna change, except maybe the other direction to test the limits.

I hope this stuff isn't due to any goings on in the toxic section. I've only dropped in a few times and it wasn't for me, but shouldn't that be a no rules at all part of the forum?

John in CR said:
And Chalo...sure he had some strong opinions leaning far left of me, and anything more than a low powered pedelec was a motorcycle in his view . . .
Not just a motorcycle, but a murdermobile driven by an egocentric jackass (if I am remembering his rants correctly.)

JackFlorey said:
John in CR said:
And Chalo...sure he had some strong opinions leaning far left of me, and anything more than a low powered pedelec was a motorcycle in his view . . .
Not just a motorcycle, but a murdermobile driven by an egocentric jackass (if I am remembering his rants correctly.)

I can see Chalo saying that, but that never bothered me much when directed my way. I can defend myself with cleanly worded rebuttals. I always thought of him as a large cycling purist hippie from Austin. He's one of those fighting hard for cycling rights/infrastructure for a very long time.

Punx0r said:
Rix said:
I cant tell you how many discussion I had about the size of Spoke Diameters correlating with wheel strength and how Chalo would argue my comments saying spoke size had nothing to do with wheel strength because the strength of the wheel was based on spoke tension and how good the wheel builder built the wheel. Ironically, there was some factual basis for his comments even though in-accurate.

He's correct: Rim and hub strength dictate the maximum spoke tension that can be supported and for a given tension you can have thinner spokes under high stress or thicker ones under low stress. Spokes are need to be elastic so work best under high stress so thick ones under low stress will give a weaker, less reliable wheel. Wheel builder skill is required to ensure spokes are sufficiently and evenly tensioned.

I am aware of that, however, I broke spokes almost every offroad ride when I laced my 5404 to a 19MC rim using 12g spokes, went to 10g, and never broke a spoke again. This is where Chalo and I went rounds on. My point is, spoke size does matter for overall strength... along with proper wheel build and tension. I believe thats more of the point you are making. Lets be honest here, most full size MX bikes are using 8g spokes, if 15g,14g, or even 13g spokes were strong enough under properly laced/spoke tension circumstances, the industry would use those spokes as the weight savings and rotational mass reduction would be quite a bit. There is no way that would hold up on an MX bike though.

John in CR said:
LockH was simply Lock before his illness, I believe. . .Maybe I should be more careful or I'll get banned too. . . .

Nahhhhh, the newbies get worked up by Chalo then they take it out on you because you're safer. Carefully not saying "Safe." I guess I should have guessed you meant his old name. Wouldn't doubt he has a new one.

John in CR said:
I hope this stuff isn't due to any goings on in the toxic section. I've only dropped in a few times and it wasn't for me, but shouldn't that be a no rules at all part of the forum?

It should be fewer rules but not 100% without.

JackFlorey said:
. . . . driven by an egocentric jackass (if I am remembering his rants correctly.)

I am forced to yield to his wisdom on that one, according to the truism that it takes one to know one.

John in CR said:
He's one of those fighting hard for cycling rights/infrastructure for a very long time.

Leading to another truism, 'Whoever fights monsters should guard against becoming one. . . .' (It's a translation, there is NO true quote in english.) Chalo is an example of when they ask 'Whose side is he REALLY on?' Yourself, for example, when people respond ridiculously harshly to you, whereas he is one of the ridiculously harsh.

John in CR said:
I can see Chalo saying that, but that never bothered me much when directed my way.
Nor me. It was more funny than insulting. I did find it unfortunate, though, that he and someone else would often start attacking each other and quickly drive the S/N way down. Trying to wade through 40 posts of (effectively) "you're stupid" "no you're stupid" was a little annoying.

Idea - have mods detach that part of the thread once it starts and move it to the toxic discussions forum, where they can fight to their heart's content and not clutter up the main thread.

Yeah, I've noticed some of that from newer guys, and generally just let them slide instead shooting back a pointed response.

Chalo also had a low opinion of car drivers, but if I was a cycling enthusiast living in Texas I probably would too.

Rix, I agree with you - an MC rim on a MX bike needs thicker spokes than a bicycle. The traditional trap that I thought Chalo must have been referring to was putting thick spokes in a bicycle rim, which is too weak to allow them to be sufficiently tensioned.

Punx0r said:
Chalo also had a low opinion of car drivers, but if I was a cycling enthusiast living in Texas I probably would too........

It's not just Texas either. I have been intentionally buzzed and run off the road dozens of times around here. And the one driver that actually hit me and put me in the hospital didn't even bother to ask if I was OK. From the time she nailed me to the time I was hauled away in an ambulance she had plenty of time to talk to me, but never once approached me to see if I was OK. She just stood around staring at me.

So Chalo's disdain for drivers is not just a Texas phenomenon.

As for heavy spokes in a bicycle rim, I am about to adjust the 12awg spokes in my motored bicycle rim this morning as it is now sufficiently out of true to cause braking problems.

larsb said:
Got run over this week. Careless driver, not looking.
“You’ve GOT to accept my apology!”

No, i don’t. Stupid frocker might as well have killed me, apologies don’t work anymore when you’re dead..

Ouch. You alright? The bike?

As I was falling asleep last night, just as I was drifting off, I kept dreaming that I got broadsided by a car as I entered an intersection.

I'll be extra sure to come to a complete stop and look both ways, probably twice, for the foreseeable future.

I’m ok, twisted ankle, maybe a small fracture, neck pain, sore hip and knee. Bike front wheel is damaged, otherwise nothing.

I was lucky, he overtook me and turned right and cut me off, i didn’t have a chance. So incredibly stupid. I was going slow so the crash wasn’t too bad.

He was "dead" right about autos, but socal was built with them in mind so IMO they're a necessity here. Also, why I eschew road riding as much as possible, just local errands.

larsb said:
I’m ok, twisted ankle, maybe a small fracture, neck pain, sore hip and knee. Bike front wheel is damaged, otherwise nothing.

I was lucky, he overtook me and turned right and cut me off, i didn’t have a chance. So incredibly stupid. I was going slow so the crash wasn’t too bad.
Ouch. Glad you're largely ok.

Had the same happen to me on a pedal bike a number of years back. Passed me and began to turn into a driveway, I exited the bike lane and went left into the lane of travel to pass and they pretty much just stopped as soon as their wheels touched the sidewalk ramp. No chance, plowed right into the back of them and over the trunklid. Was so pissed I just got back on my bike and rode away, aching and front wheel out of true.

Back