Display not working with controller

jgetma

10 µW
I upgraded the controller on my bike from a 45A controller to this (https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYWYeOn) 60A controller

Im using the display that came with my old controller (https://imgur.com/a/QSJ9v1U) and am able to power up the new controller and use the throttle, but nothing else works. The display is not showing speed, watts, and even the battery indicator is blank (showing voltage but the battery icon is as if it were empty).

What makes a display "compatible" with a given controller or otherwise?
Is there anything I need to do to get this controller working with this display or should I just get one of the displays that come with that controller?
Can I damage the controller or motor by running it with this display?

As long as the wiring is the same between the connectors on display and controller (not always the case) then damage wont' happen. If the wiring is different, and battery voltage ends up connected to one of the data lines, it can destroy both controller and display (or just damage them so they can never talk to any other device).

But generally only controllers and displays that come with each other are designed to work together.

Some controller brands have model series that will generally work with a model of display, and some of them will work with more than one display...but not every combination may work.

Some displays will "work" with a controller but not support all the functions.

Unfortunately there are no standards for these displays, even within a brand/manufacturer, and there are also no lists of what controller is compatible with what display (even from the manufacturers, as far as I can tell).

If it's a KT (kunteng kun teng) controller, then the Open Source Firmware OSFW threads for those and some of the displays link to their Githubs and wikis, which have lists of stuff that works with the OSFW, and may also work with OEM firmware with the OEM version of the other part (display or controller).

If it's a LiShui (LS, Li Shui) controller, it may work with the Kingmeter displays SW(etc).

If it's something else, I dont' know what it might work with.

If you are going to change any electric components into your original system, please be sure they have some protocol. For example, you are using King-Meter lcd display into your ebikes and going to change it into another new type. Firstly, check the tech details for this display and when you confirmed, copy all the details for your new display. If not, Error comes. Like Error 30. Usually it means no communication between display and controller.

Back