DIY a compact high power charger

dozentrio

10 kW
I'm hoping to build a compact charger to store onboard my e-motorcycle conversion. My pack will be something like 12 kwh. Even with a pair of 1000 watt meanwells (or meanwell clones) it will take ~6 hours to charge.

I'm aware this is probably a stupid question, but: How difficult is it to just build a rectifier with current control for this purpose?
I'm looking more for suggestions on where I can learn how to solve the challenges here. For example, I'm not sure on how to chose appropriately sized capacitor and inductor for doing the output filtering, and I'm a little bit unclear on how I should handle the current sensing and PWM to do the current control. Probably this is way more complicated than I imagine but a friend is encouraging me to try to learn.

Other challenges: Figure out voltage switching so it will work with 110vac, 220vac, and those new fast charge DC charging stations. I guess I would start with something that's just made for 220v, as that's probably the most commonly available. And how good does my filtering have to be to avoid spikes/ripple tripping my BMS high-voltage cutoff or damaging my battery?

The peak voltage of your typical 110 vac line is something like 145 volts or something like that.

So the idea of simply rectifying that puts you into some high voltage DC.

220 vac is double.

There is a real need to control voltage and current when charging so you might read up on the dangers that excessive current can cause as far as overheating your pack.

Most people use power supplies designed to deal with all these issues.

dozentrio said:
I'm aware this is probably a stupid question, but: How difficult is it to just build a rectifier with current control for this purpose?
sounds similar to the "bad boy" charger.

it's not hard but there aren't then safeties to prevent situations that cause fires; your bms, if any, won't be able to deal with the problems that can arise from this type of charger. for example, rectifier fails (common failure mode is shorted), then you have direct path for ac into the battery (current control will use a fet that also has common failure mode of shorted, and would be likely destroyed this way by a rectifier failure). smps types don't have a direct path for ac; if the ac side fails the switcher fails and the ac can't make it thru to the output. (

some links:

https://www.google.com/search?q=endless+sphere+%22bad+boy+charger%22

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22bad+boy+charger%22

Back