Downtube battery doesn't lie flat on downtube

I think the bottle bosses on my bike weren't drilled perfectly parallel to the seat tube/tangent to the ground and when I install my battery it is very visibly off center:

1707103196542.png1707103220145.png1707103244139.png

I'm using a Grin triple bob which makes it more visible by lifting it a bit further off the downtube. Any suggestions on getting it more centered (other than hose clamping the triple bob)? I think it's *okay* like this, the pedals don't hit it, but it looks so awkward and it's really bugging me.

I wouldn't personally run it at an angle like that.
I'd use a combination of hose clamps + utilize one of the bolt holes if possible

You could shim it with a beveled washer. An expensive fix would be to have a frame builder put new braze-ons on it and repaint the frame.

81HV-xJyqcL._SL1500_.jpg

You could make your own bottle bob with offset holes to correct the offset, if you have access to a good drill press or are really good with a hand drill. I make my own frame brackets. Just a flat bar with holes, and usually a hose clamp. No need to pay $32 on amazon.

I think we should get some kind of very fast yet totally crepuscular cat to run with us holding the battery in it's teeth...

it would probably be illegal... like everywhere

DaLanMan what you're taking is probably illegal.
I would like can you just redrill the one offset in the base and the hose clamp paint it Black. Who's going to see it with the battery on top ?

Threaded Rivnuts are commonly used to add "brazeons" to a frame without brazing. Not difficult if you have basic proficiency with hand tools (drill, wrench).

Important to use high quality rivnuts. 5mm seems to be the most common size for water bottle mounts. Could go 6mm for mounting larger batteries.

Just to make sure: If you mount a water bottle holder there instead of the battery is it also crooked in the same way? Just want to make sure the battery mount bed itself is not tweaked.

Curious: What brand/model frame is it?

Threaded Rivnuts are commonly used to add "brazeons" to a frame without brazing. Not difficult if you have basic proficiency with hand tools (drill, wrench).

Important to use high quality rivnuts. 5mm seems to be the most common size for water bottle mounts. Could go 6mm for mounting larger batteries.

Just to make sure: If you mount a water bottle holder there instead of the battery is it also crooked in the same way? Just want to make sure the battery mount bed itself is not tweaked.

Curious: What brand/model frame is it?
It's a Marin Nicasio RC.

I will have to try putting on a water bottle tomorrow. I think it would be a bit off angle, but it's such a shorter object sticking out that the effect is much less pronounced. Even when I don't have the triple bob in it looks a bit better.

Well I cut out some strips from an old inner tube and shimmed the bottle bob against the downtube on the side it was leaning towards, and it seems to have straightened it out nicely. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Some cases Ive purchased came with rubber grommets sized to correct the problem you are having.

I like to use DMR hinged clamps to mount batteries to frames that don't have bottle bosses, or don't have them in useful locations. They offer a variety of diameters for round tubes.

I've seen similar widgets from Minoura and others.

Back