Drevious' E-Longboard

Thanks PracticalProjects and daverobson08. The 3D printer has helped a lot, I'll even use it for some final parts including the TX case.
For the motor I'll probably drill a counter sink hole into the motor shaft but I'm not sure yet. The sprocket has two set screws so I may just see how those work. If It gives me too much hell I'll use the loctite for press fit repair it can handle .02" gaps.

i also have a drop through truck deck
but my trucks came connected through the hole
can i just mount it like you without the truck going through the hole??
havent seen boards like that till now

It's been 4 months since I updated, Damn. Well I'm back working on my longboard. I've almost finished cutting out the motor mount. I've been using a dremel and a jig saw to do all the work. Cutting 1/4" aluminum by hand is a lot of work. I used the 3d Printed piece I had to trace the layout onto aluminum. I will have a lot of finish work to do but it's looking good. I should have it welded in the next couple of weeks.

motor_mount.jpg

The trucks are just some random ones I ordered off of ebay. I'm going to weld the mount to the trucks. Machined parts cost a lot of $$$. I may even do a test one with JB weld it is tough stuff I would like to experiment with it.

I've also been working on a HUD for my helmet. It's a gps unit powered by an arduino and will give me speed, headng and time readouts. I'm going to install it in my helmet, kind of a poor mans google glass.
View attachment 1
helmet.jpg

I do offer my motor mounts which you can see in my signature for $35 shipped to USA. They are 1/4" thick and very durable. You can fit them for your build if you plan on welding them. They fit for 63mm motors.

How did you get your arduino working? Can you put out a tutorial for it?

I saw your motor mounts. Not a bad price at 35$. I will post my code for the HUD when I get a good working example.

After testing out my board I noticed shredded rubber on the motor mount. I guess I'm too much of a fat ass for a belt or the two sprockets aren't aligned well enough. I ordered a couple more belts just to be sure. The board seems to have plenty of power but the belt may not be able to handle the torque. If the new belts fail then I may have to switch to chain drive.

belt.jpg

It's something else that's messing it up. The belts work fine and won't unthread unless there's something wrong with the mount itself and/or something in the way of it spinning properly. I'd double check your setup to see if there's anything that can be screwing with it. Bolts sticking out, unaligned pulleys, belt not tight enough, belt too loose, etc.

So I got my new belts and straightened the motor out a little. I put everything back together and tested it out and it worked pretty good. It struggled with my fatness a little but it got going and ran fairly well. I tried to go from a cold stop and go uphill and it pushed for a bit then stopped and the motor was smoking like crazy. I guess I pushed it too hard. unfortunately I stripped the set screw in the cog while trying to remove it so I guess I have to cut the motor shaft off and buy a new cog. Oh well.

So to avoid this again should I install a second motor on the front to give it more power? I'm running 8 cells as it is.

Drevious said:
So I got my new belts and straightened the motor out a little. I put everything back together and tested it out and it worked pretty good. It struggled with my fatness a little but it got going and ran fairly well. I tried to go from a cold stop and go uphill and it pushed for a bit then stopped and the motor was smoking like crazy. I guess I pushed it too hard. unfortunately I stripped the set screw in the cog while trying to remove it so I guess I have to cut the motor shaft off and buy a new cog. Oh well.

So to avoid this again should I install a second motor on the front to give it more power? I'm running 8 cells as it is.

You shouldn't be having any of those issues with your build. How much do you weigh? With my backpack and all I'm about 200lbs on my board and I go up tons of hills non-stop and with potholes. At 200lbs, I'm able to get it going and have the motor power me up the hill still. Usually, I'll kick maybe once or twice while holding the throttle to get the wheel spinning and then put my back leg on. Works fine though and 10-20% hills is fine. Higher than that there are some issues with going up the hill when I'm starting from a stop.

Not sure, why it smoked. Maybe the motor was trying to spin but couldn't? Maybe connectors? Not to sure on that one.

8S should be more then enough for one motor. I started off with (2) motors on 10S and more then enough power. I'm now running (2) motors on 6S and it's fine for my needs. You can get two motors if you like but that one motor should be more then adequate.

Fix the motor pulley/motor shaft.
Not sure, if you've already done it. Doesn't look like you have. What you need to do is use a dremmel and put a flat on your motor shaft. If you have two set screws it's even better. Have that set screw sit on that flat. You don't want the motor pulley to spin around the motor shaft separately this will cog and you won't go anywhere. Especially, up a hill there's much more stress on the parts. You also want that bore to be slightly tight and not too loose at all. The best way to setup the "motor pulley" would be to have a D shaped motor shaft & pulley and/or a keyway like Alien's motor pulleys. Those are tested and sure ways to drive torque through those pulleys. They can handle a ton of stress compared to a motor pulley with one set screw on a circular motor shaft. Although, test out w/ just adding a flat and you should be good to go. These work best with bigger pulleys 14T/15T as there is more space for threading an M3 bolt as a set screw. Also try using an "ACTUAL" M3 bolt about 10-12mm's I find it much stronger than a regular set screw.

Fix the drive wheel
I'd try the steps above first and if that doesn't solve it. Use bigger bolts for your drive wheel pulley. I think you said you are using M3 bolts and those are way to small. It looks like you are using the ABEC 11 Clone flywheels and they have big dimensions inside. Your pulley + plastic fastener on the front won't do it with the amount of torque it's putting through especially up hill. I've tried my pulley w/ M5 bolts on the real ABEC 11's and they fit quite tight but there is a bit of play. I also have a 3d printed backplate/fastener on the other end and going up my normal route it does not hold. There is definitely some sort of cogging when braking downhill. I changed my wheels to a different drive wheel pulley that I know works and the cogging disappear at slow speeds it wasn't noticeable only at high speeds is it noticeable. I would drill through my ABEC's and fit the bigger M6 bolts that don't fit and/or I would install some "retainers" that hold the bolt inside the wheel from cogging. You don't want those bolts to shift around inside the wheel.

Since you are using the Flywheel clones. I use M6 bolts for mine and they work fine. The M6 bolts fit in there tight. That would probably be the easiest and you just need to make those holes bigger on the pulley.

That should fix all your problems :). My 2 cents.

Thanks for the reply torque. I'm not having any problems with slippage on the wheel or shaft so I'm not sure how fixing the bolts on the wheels would help. I have already filed a flat spot in the shaft of the motor for one of the set screws. It worked so well that I cannot remove the set screw anymore. I weigh anywhere from 250-260lbs so I do think weight is an issue here. I think the motor smoked because of the amount of power it was unable to dissipate while trying to push uphill from a standstill. The motor is not rubbing on anything nor is the wheel it all spins very freely when its not under power. The motor no longer works and I think it has something to do with this.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/448876-what-happens-when-you-let-out-smoke-monster-brushless-motor.html

Hrmm.. Yeah 2 motors would definitely help. I would go 2 motors even at my weight even though 1 motor still works well. I feel safer with 2 for some reason. I'm surprised that the motor smoked. I actually think the SK3 motors are pretty good. I've dogged mine out and I'm amazed at how it's lasted. All the issues with my ride have always been due to loose connectors and the drive train setup. The boards can be tricky when you are riding on flat ground versus uphill and high vs low speeds. The drive train can handle lower stress easily than higher stress so the symptoms aren't always noticeable at slower speeds or less stress situations.

Possibly the ESC maybe? I've heard of people having issues with the HK 150A which is why I recommend the EZ Run Pro 150A ESC more and it's not that much more in cost.

Anyways good luck. Hopefully you find that culprit and you can enjoy riding. I know how much of a PITA it is to not be able to ride and always end up fixing your board. I was like dammit I should of just bought a manufactured one LOL but now all is good my board runs like a champ.

I'd go with (2) EZRun Pro 150A's or an Alien 150A 8-12S ESC with (2) 6374mm motors with either lower KV (torque) or higher KV (top speed). More then enough power to ride and enjoy. It will just be a bit heavy.

Thanks for the support torque I've learned a lot already. I know what you mean buy you just should have bought a pre-built one but whats the fun in that. I need to update my spreadsheet but I've upgraded to one of these: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor..._Scale_Sensorless_200amp_8s_Opto_Car_ESC.html So far it's a beast. I'll go with two motors soon. I may even go with the #25 chain just to beef it up. I can work on the helmet while I wait to get the motors and esc. I just need to find a compact in the makeup isle with a convex mirror on it.

So I'm moving on to version two of my longboard and I decided to go with these wheels by orangatang. The holes are almost a perfect 1/4" diameter. I just had to ream them a little to get the spacers to fit snugly inside. I've also decided to go with a two wheel chain drive system.

Wheel
wheel2.jpg

Retainer Washer and 3D printed drill jig
2.jpg

Sprocket with 3D printed drill guide
3.jpg

Wheel with 1" threaded spacers and retainer
5.jpg
6.jpg

Backside of Wheel with 3/8" spacers inserted
7.jpg

Second retainer, additional 3/8" spacers and sprocket
8.jpg

Completed Wheel

10.jpg

Nice job on the sprocket mount, that looks really good.

Your motor mount looks ugly as hell (a lot like mine was). Don't take that as an offence though, it's not meant to be. I think it's important for people to realise that even with a few hand tools, they can make a motor mount which functions just as well as any other. There are some really nice CNC motor mounts which people are selling / have made themselves and I can't deny that they look brilliant and work well too. It's jut not essential to have access to these tools if you want an electric skateboard :)

Looking awesome!!

Why did you decide to go for chains? Did the belt underperform?

Back