Drevious' E-Longboard

Your motor mount looks ugly as hell

Ha, yeah. That is the old mount. I'm going to make new ones for this second build. The mount held up well though, plenty sturdy and functional. CNC is nice but like you said it's not really practical.

Why did you decide to go for chains? Did the belt underperform?

The belt was slipping and I think it was a combination of me being a big dude and the motor mount being too compact. Chain drive systems are also cheaper and more readily available, oh, and they look bad ass.

daverobson08 said:
Nice job on the sprocket mount, that looks really good.

Your motor mount looks ugly as hell (a lot like mine was). Don't take that as an offence though, it's not meant to be. I think it's important for people to realise that even with a few hand tools, they can make a motor mount which functions just as well as any other. There are some really nice CNC motor mounts which people are selling / have made themselves and I can't deny that they look brilliant and work well too. It's jut not essential to have access to these tools if you want an electric skateboard :)

I think the mount looks nice in its position and length...maybe a bit rough. I plan to make one like it tonight since I can get on a mill finally.
I'm a bit worried about making it compact similar to yours since you had the slipping issue. I have a 44x26 gearing so maybe I can squeeze them up against each other. I don't have a belt yet. Is there a formula or link for figuring dimensions or should I do it the super manual way with string, paper, pencil and the pulleys you think?

Those wheels are awesome! Not seen those before, they are probably the easiest way to get a secure fit on a wheel with no machining. I might have o invest... :)

So far I'm very pleased with them. Just one note, I'm using caliber trucks and the bore hole is a tad to small. I'm going to round out the square edges on the trucks with a file and they will fit nicely. The wheels are perfect on every other truck that I've tried them on, 3 to be exact.

I decided to use the same truck mount design for my new chain drive. While I wait for the welder to finish the other mount I went ahead and painted the ones I have.

Stripped and sanded
View attachment 3

Green paint and primer
paint-green.jpg

Fluorescent Orange
paint-orange.jpg

Painted
painted.jpg

I really like how you mounted the sprockets to the wheels. I have been using the same wheels for awhile now and they have alot of grip and great wear. I started with xl timing belts 3/8 wide and stripped every one of them. I switched to htd 5m 9mm wide belts and havent had a problem yet. Hundreds of miles on them so far.

Anyways i really like your mounting idea so i might have to steal it. At least partially.

It's cool if you use the design. It seems that boosted boards is using a very similar design on their wheels and they even use orangatang wheels.

4fb7b2282857e0a7da26a2687f55141e_large.jpg

This is my current setup, I just like the posts coming off the back. It looks pretty nice.

Finished the upgrades on my trucks. Went with Khiro bushings and kingpin. Stainless steel for the mounting screws. Now just need to mount it all up and install electronics.

upgrades.jpg

Back