E-Bikekit.com 36v 10ah LiFePo4 Battery

Thanks for the reply. I feel better now. I don't feel comfortable taking a battery apart, so I'll just assume it's an inferior battery. It took me longer than I thought to build the tadpole trike, because I was delayed in building a delta trike I built for shopping. So I just recently installed the motor for testing before I dismantle and paint. The motor works fine, it's just the truing that had me concerned. I have a 7 speed freewheel on it, and it fit nicely between the dropouts, so it isn't off center.

i haven't had problems with the wheels being trued correctly from jason. i was fortunate enuff to get one of the highcentered rear wheels, and a freight damaged front wheel from him, so they don't count. but the last rear wheel i got from him is perfectly true. i think he retrued it before he shipped it.

the chinese use fat spokes, and they don't flex like butted smaller diameter spokes so that may be a way for you to go if you don't like having to tighten them until they get set. i use one of those ring type spoke wrenches from harbor freight that duane gave me for free. it has a 13G slot, which was different from my green red black spoke wrenches. think i overtightened the last pass on my wheel because i can see the enamel cracking. i'm bad.

edit: i should mention that i don't think the goldenmotor and 9C even look the same. plus they are a different width because the magnets are wider and i think the diameter of the 9C is larger too.

i think the proof in the pudding stuff is the quality of the magnets, the windings current capacity, and the width of the poles as well as how close they can run concentrically to be most efficient in energy transfer.

also, you should read gaston's thread from the beginning if this is where you started, he did a good job. worth reading.

I did go back and read the whole thing, which made me feel better about the motor, but I was still concerned about the wheel being so far out of true. I laced some wheels, but I'm no expert at it. I've never had problems with the wheels I built, but I'm leery about the torque of a hub motor. I took great pains in making sure the spokes weren't too tight, and the tension on each spoke were uniform, but tuning was done by ear.
I also don't feel secure with the rim having no eyelets. So I took it apart, and will have it relaced to a 24" Alex rim that I have. That wheel was 25 1/2" in diameter with the 120 psi tall tire that was on it, so I won't lose too much speed.

Waaa waaa. :cry: :cry: You did get a great price right?

Take a hike dogman. I received a defective product, Jason offered to make good on it. That's good enough for me. He's willing to stand by his merchandise. I'm declining his offer, because I'd rather have it laced to a better rim with better spokes than take chances with spokes that may break, which is another problem others have had with 9C kits. As for the battery, I use it on my delta with no problems whatsoever, even though it's inferior the the ones Jason sells. I'll end up eventually buying one of Jason's batteries, hopefully he'll have the higher AH ones by then. BTW, is that a pic of you, or your dog?

come on, it was just a joke, really kinda like an insider observing jason does offer a good deal.

i think you will have the same speed, the motor will spin faster to compensate, and you can always add more voltage.

you may wanna consider acting now to make your battery last as long as possible. look at the observations ypedal made about the goldenmotor battery and see if you can keep that pack working well over a long time. not sure about the balancing issue if you can't balance a low row by itself like he did, try many short cycles of charging, keep the charger on all the time.

maybe you will get over the anxiety about opening the battery case up. show us some pictures.

which ALEX rim? i have ALEX DA16s on my actionbent. too narrow for a decent sized tire.

Alex DM-24, I have a 24x1.95 on one now. It's a twin rail 120 psi tire designed for city roads and unpaved bike paths. Very low rolling resistance, and I can get the same speed with the same amount of effort as with my Kenda Kwest HP tire on a 26" wheel.
I charge my battery after every ride, no matter how long or short. Just a habit after using SLA's on my wheelchair and delta.

i had seen an identical DM24 or maybe it was DA24 on a 24" rim at the recyclery here. used for $10, but i could not use it. you may be able to go with a radial spoke since the 9C motor is so large. i think jason has one of his 9C mounted in a 24" rim with radial lacing.

I covered the edges with heavy duty vinyl tape before letting him have it, and wisely he chose to cover it again with another layer as he rides in rain, alot..

am waiting for his CA stats, i recorded his data before he left so will have accurate km/ah/cycle count shortly !

Attachments

• ebkupd2.JPG
    ebkupd2.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,377
I received your email, Jason, and replied. Thanks for the offer.
Just to let the others know what happened, I called my LBS owner, and he suggested relacing the original rim to save money. However, he suggeted relacing as one normally would, then wrapping or tying the spokes where they cross. Once I'm done, he'll check and adjust the truing if necessary, at no cost. He added that there's a low risk of spokes breaking or ripping through the rim if properly laced.

I do know they promote round cells on their site. http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z66/edpol_photos/batterycell20small.jpg[/IMG][/img]

Late update on the commuting customer and his 700C equipped eZee hybrid bike !

Stats : ( over a 40 day period !! )
cycles 77
total Ah 535
Total Km 2064

So 535ah / 77 cycles = 7ah average drain per cycle !

2064km / 77 cycles = 26.8 kms ( 16.7 miles ) per 7ah charge average..

535 ah at 36v = 19260wh / 2064km = 9.33 wh / km

So the pack is well into it's 100 to 125 cycle since the start of the season, a few days ago the charger quit :( but Jason quickly shipped me a new one that should arrive this week !!! Great service ! 8)

i finally got to open up one of these EBK 36V10Ah packs too, and took some pictures of the BMS. uses 68 ohm shunts so 54mA final balancing shunt current. about 2.3W total heat dissipated at the end with all shunts running so it doesn't get hot inside the pack.

i cannot believe how compact this battery is. it is all battery inside there. the BMS is tiny and fits inside the depression in the cap at the other end from the switch. weight of the core cells is 4.1kg with wiring and BMS hanging off, but the case removed, compared to 4.0 for 12 of my 10Ah cylinders still in boxes. so using .1kg for wires and BMS means they have identical energy density/cell. actually takes up less space than my headway cylindricals when they are stacked alongside, it actually is narrow enuff to fit in the frame on its side. each cell is 19x65x140mm, the case is 65mm with the raised corners.

30A ceramic fuse on main and 3A on charging leg is inside the end cap but there is no space, don't open that end unless you can fold origami and get the wires all positioned to fit around the BMS, but it holds everyting rigid when it is all compressed against the plastic sheet covering the end caps of the cells. alos coated with sealer so it can't short out if it is submerged in water. i am already tempted to run 12AWG from each pole of the pack out into some andersons for the main power and then use the switch/lock to run controller current from. but will stay stock to match the other end users. for the time being. but i've gotta solder the connectors on the harness. gonna solder the wire through the hole in the pin like ypedal did too.

Attachments

• DSC00649.JPG
    DSC00649.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,742
  • DSC00650.JPG
    DSC00650.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 2,742
Nice pics of the current BMS !! it is different than the one on my original pack !

Pack no.1 is still on the move, it's now being used by " Ann ", she and her husband now have each an Ebike, ( I built Nick an X5304 powered trike with 20ah CammyCC pack ). Her eVox bike was purchased used but in excellent shape, barely driven by original owner as it was not setup correctly at all and i suspect she had no clue how to do any bicycle maintenance... I had to fix the seat mount, brakes and shifters were all wrong etc...

Her eZee kit arrived with a low capacity battery that has to go back to ebikes.ca, so until i get the new pack under warranty i am letting her use the EBK pack for a few weeks !

This pack has been around the block a number of times so far, eZee, Crystalyte 4 and 5 series, EBK, i've used it as a power source for lighting a number of times, charged thru the discharge wires accidentally, been in the rain a number of times, used in sub-zero weather.. and it keeps on ticking !

When i get it back in a few weeks i will open it up for a cell level health check and capacity test !

Picture of Ann's eZee eVox !

Attachments

• eZeeDone.JPG
    eZeeDone.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,651
Howdy,
I have been following this thread for awhile and appreciate all the effort that has went into it. I bought one of the e-bike kits in FL from suncoast electric bikes and it has worked out pretty well (my ride is the low rider chopper on the front page of the ebike website on the green basketball court). The one issue I have is with charge time. My ride to work is 18 miles one-way which nearly drains the battery completely. Even though there is a some charge left, I have 5 1/2 hour charge times. The first battery I had 6.5+ charge times. This battery was switched out by the local distributor for one that they were using in their ebike fleet (yeah, I am less than pschyed about a used $600 battery). Just thought others might like to know that the 4.5 hour charge time with the supplied 44V 2A charger is not accurate, in fact the actual charge times are at least 25% longer.
Cheers

The chargers are 2 amps, so 2ah per hour of charge.. that being said, the light does remain red during ballancing if required, so if you feel the charger and it's noticably cooler ( compared to hot while 2amp stage ) you can disconnect and go, only a few mah go in during the final stages of ballancing..

Thanks for the input, but the charger is still HOT @ 5.5 hours. They really should use a 3A charger. Also this doesn't explain the 6.5+ hour charge time for the first battery. As was mentioned previously in the thread a sampling of one is junk science. There is likely to be variations in these batteries and BMS, this is quite apparent in the difference in results of just a sampling of two batteries.

masserin said:
Thanks for the input, but the charger is still HOT @ 5.5 hours. They really should use a 3A charger. Also this doesn't explain the 6.5+ hour charge time for the first battery. As was mentioned previously in the thread a sampling of one is junk science. There is likely to be variations in these batteries and BMS, this is quite apparent in the difference in results of just a sampling of two batteries.

Battery chargers don't put out a steady current during the entire charge cycle. My "2A" charger for example starts around 2A then the current slowly falls as the voltage of the pack increases. When my pack reaches about 80% full the voltage is rising very slowly and the current starts falling more quickly. The time to input the last 20% of the total charge is about half again as long as the time it took to put in the first 80% (This is why you often see manufacturers saying how fast their batteries charge to 80%). Then of course if your pack has a BMS, mine doesn't, it takes some time to balance the pack. The bottom line is you can't simply say my pack is 10Ah and my charger is 2A so it will charge in 5 hours.

EDIT: the comments above were for charging my LiMn battery. I recently purchased a LiFePO4 battery and monitored it while charging after I had used 9.04 Ah of the rated 10 Ah capacity. My charger is supposed to be a 3A but it started at 2.77A then held a constant 2.73-2.74A all the way up to 8.7Ah where the current started to decline. The green LED lit when the current was 0.23A and 9.037 Ah. The entire charge took 3.65 hours.

-R

My experience with the ebike kit was mixed. I purchased an e-bike kit from suncoastelectricbikes.com and Scott the owner bent over backwards to make everything right. The first 20" rim didn’t arrive when it should have, so he express shipped a second rim (which unfortunately was damaged in shipping). Once the good rim arrived Scott drove the rim down to me and even offered to finish the assembly for me. I build sensors for a living and know my way around tools and soldering pretty well, so I wrapped the install up myself in about an hour. I found 6.5+ hour charge times for the battery that came with the kit. This was unacceptable since I often work less than eight hours a day and would be stuck at work waiting for the battery to charge. I figured, as Ypedal stated, on a 5 hour charge time since it is an 10 Ah battery. I went out of town for a couple of weeks so I loaned the bike to suncoast electric bikes so they could take pictures and they could check the bike out. They found the same 6.5+ hour charge times. They swapped this ridiculously long charge time battery out with one they were using on their demo bikes. I am not completely happy with this give there is a limited number of cycles and the expense of the battery. This used battery does however charge in 5.5 hours though, which is 25% longer than what the ebike-kit claims.

Back