E-S Phasor Electric Bike Owners

Allex said:
Yes you need to program the controller to make the difference.

heard that..unfortunately I got windows 7 I can see the main parameter box at least...I set the shunt value at 1.400 maybe that's the wrong setting and I am actually using more amps?

Allex said:
Works fine with widnows 7 here.
try the XPD Software better than the old stock one.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27927

thanks will try that...but he says "download python 2.7.1 first".....but when I click link there are several files but no python 2.7.1?

Install all in this folders first, drivers etc.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B09H_OVSYJ1tbW1XNlhleWNvVEk&usp=sharing&tid=0B09H_OVSYJ1tZG04VlR6WHNlMFU
Then you take the software:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B09H_OVSYJ1tWXFYaDBUV0FJalE&usp=sharing&tid=0B09H_OVSYJ1tZG04VlR6WHNlMFU

Allex said:
Install all in this folders first, drivers etc.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B09H_OVSYJ1tbW1XNlhleWNvVEk&usp=sharing&tid=0B09H_OVSYJ1tZG04VlR6WHNlMFU
Then you take the software:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B09H_OVSYJ1tWXFYaDBUV0FJalE&usp=sharing&tid=0B09H_OVSYJ1tZG04VlR6WHNlMFU

thanks ! hey I went 47 MPH using only 22 amps! thought at first shunt value was set incorrectly but set CA to 15 max amps it went to 15.8 or so so its close to the mark... like this Lyen so far...the regen only kicks in around 106 volts hopefully I can reprogram that!...

Attachments

• phasor-max-amps.jpg
    phasor-max-amps.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,904
9lives said:
That's fast enough for me.

so 20s eh..?try dialing in 250-300A phase,120A battery in boost mode, up the ovs to around 5 or so.

you can still limit your top speed to say 80kph or whatever you want, but it gives you that kick if when you want it. still wont throw you off easilly, as you have the smooth start, unless perhaps your weight is too far back going up a steep hill,like with a heavy backack of shopping...

have you got varyable regen running yet or still just on/off?

Some new stuff is in the works for 2015, including a bolt in DaVinci drive option for the Phasor frame, a collaboration between Recumpence and I. It will likely be quite different from the original Phasor frame, I will post updates as they come along.
GOPR0118_1418093285788_high_zps951e94e9.jpg

Keep an eye out for some other new options as well, I have some concepts in the works in the computer that I will post here soon.

got cable for programming Lyen controller...found software....transmitted got regen now...BUT power cuts out around 30-35 mph only seems to happen with full throttle get power surges if I back up on throttle just a bit it stops......any suggestions? :?:

UPDATE: had Low voltage cutoff set at 55 volts which really means 110 volts (according to pendragon) set LVC to 40 volts seemed to do trick set brake regen to 60 (120 according to pendragon) seems to work!

dpearce said:
Some new stuff is in the works for 2015, including a bolt in DaVinci drive option for the Phasor frame, a collaboration between Recumpence and I. It will likely be quite different from the original Phasor frame, I will post updates as they come along.
GOPR0118_1418093285788_high_zps951e94e9.jpg

Keep an eye out for some other new options as well, I have some concepts in the works in the computer that I will post here soon.

Damn David, that thing looks sick. Got in Phasor prototypes with that mid drive mounted yet? If yes, post a pic?

Rix,
Thank you for the kind words, but Recumpence deserves the credit for that, I just measured his beautiful design and inputted into the computer.

I have nothing to show yet, I am still in the head scratching phase. I have the drive unit modeled in the computer and have been attempting to find a way to reconcile the two designs, (DaVinci drive and Phasor frame), to no avail. Success is often built upon many failures, which is to say that although I have nothing to show yet, but I have been trying lots of different design concepts to accommodate the Recumpence drive that simply would not work for one reason or another, getting closer to a solution. So I will likely have to make some major changes and start with a clean sheet design, but in the end it will still keep the Phasor style of low key, clean, simple and robust design, as well as retaining the proven ergonomic / suspension geometries. And of course manufacturability is important, a great design is worthless if you can't build it in the real world, and keep the business afloat. I just got swamped with another high priority / time crunch project that will keep me busy for the next week before I can get back into it, but I have been busy with some new designs.

On that note, Prior to this collaboration project, and by popular demand I have been messing around with some other ideas for the strictly hub motor frames; namely a design geared towards the full on electric motorcycle end of the spectrum - fast and powerful and long range, (heavier), as well as the other extreme, a lighter weight bike with electric assist. You could call the current Phasor frame somewhere in the middle.
PhasorMXconcept_zpsea82ffca.jpg

PhasorMXconcepttopview_zpsf0b02277.jpg

This picture shows an amalgam of both, it is just conceptual, not into detail / embodiment design phase yet, but you get the idea. Shown is a narrower 3" wide frame with an MX style seat with pegs instead of pedals. These will both will be bolt on options in the future, but in reality there will be two distinct flavors, (1) a wider frame (~6") that holds more battery, with the MX style options, (pedals / cranks and traditional bicycle seat will still be alternative, 'bolt on' options) and (2) a narrower, lighter weight / duty frame geared towards small battery, and small, lighter-weight hubbies, and maybe lower powered mid-drive systems like the GNG kit. Possibly different materials, such as carbon fiber or aluminum.

It is all still up in the air though, whether these concepts materialize or not and the end result will be determined by demand, sound engineering, and a balance of my preferences and the customer's, so everyone feel free to chime in with what you would like to see, your ideas may be implemented. I like to think that the Phasor design in somewhat open source, although I don't divulge too many details of the end product for obvious reasons. I also envision these ideas as future options for the mid-drive systems, once I figure that out.

As soon as I have something more concrete you can be sure that you will see it here on ES first!

Good to see some progress David.

With your idea about a light weight frame and a clear sheet. How about one that resembles a downhill frame thats more bicycle looking. I was thinking a frame that's 70mm internal that will fit a 18650 cell, sideways that slips in the frame from the top that is 320 long 200 high. 70mm wide and still maintain a good chain line fit standard cranks, Paterson drive or schumph drive.

This pack from cell man is somthing that maybe you could work with. Dimensions: 75mm thick. 276mm long, 138mm wide.
Weight: 4.9kg (22P), 5.2kg (29E), not including charger or packaging.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=132

I'm looking for a down hill dual suspension 29r frame at the moment that I can convert. Frames that has interchangeable dropouts that's a good option depending which way people want to go. Especially for a bolt on middrive this way you can use the 15mm though axle or dropouts for hub. Link to frame with removable dropouts. Would be good to have this in your frame David. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64342&hilit=removable+dropouts

Just my 2 cents worth in what I want for my future frame.

Allex said:
Like the belt drive, should be silent!

saw that over at HPC they said it still makes noise on high rpm's.....looks like a hub motor set as mid drive with gearing is the best way to go for speed,climbing.efficiency,and noise levels

Motor is a brushless Astro 3220 sensorless with fan. Matt uses these motors alot in his drives. 6000watts nominal and 14,000w peak I believe is the specs he quoted. Should be bulletproof with his drive. David, if this bike turns out the way it should then I am a customer for sure. You can use the same geometry as your Phasor but please make it a tube type space frame that can use common high end downhill mtb parts.

korpin said:
Allex said:
Like the belt drive, should be silent!

saw that over at HPC they said it still makes noise on high rpm's.....looks like a hub motor set as mid drive with gearing is the best way to go for speed,climbing.efficiency,and noise levels

RPM creates a bit of sound. The sound these drives makes is a pleasant muffled whine, not a loud screech like a gearbox makes. I have never had a complaint about the sound. The only way to make this much power out of something so small is by spinning really fast. That high speed makes some sound.

Matt

dpearce said:
Rix,
Thank you for the kind words, but Recumpence deserves the credit for that, I just measured his beautiful design and inputted into the computer.

I have nothing to show yet, I am still in the head scratching phase. I have the drive unit modeled in the computer and have been attempting to find a way to reconcile the two designs, (DaVinci drive and Phasor frame), to no avail. Success is often built upon many failures, which is to say that although I have nothing to show yet, but I have been trying lots of different design concepts to accommodate the Recumpence drive that simply would not work for one reason or another, getting closer to a solution. So I will likely have to make some major changes and start with a clean sheet design, but in the end it will still keep the Phasor style of low key, clean, simple and robust design, as well as retaining the proven ergonomic / suspension geometries. And of course manufacturability is important, a great design is worthless if you can't build it in the real world, and keep the business afloat. I just got swamped with another high priority / time crunch project that will keep me busy for the next week before I can get back into it, but I have been busy with some new designs.

On that note, Prior to this collaboration project, and by popular demand I have been messing around with some other ideas for the strictly hub motor frames; namely a design geared towards the full on electric motorcycle end of the spectrum - fast and powerful and long range, (heavier), as well as the other extreme, a lighter weight bike with electric assist. You could call the current Phasor frame somewhere in the middle.
PhasorMXconcept_zpsea82ffca.jpg

PhasorMXconcepttopview_zpsf0b02277.jpg

This picture shows an amalgam of both, it is just conceptual, not into detail / embodiment design phase yet, but you get the idea. Shown is a narrower 3" wide frame with an MX style seat with pegs instead of pedals. These will both will be bolt on options in the future, but in reality there will be two distinct flavors, (1) a wider frame (~6") that holds more battery, with the MX style options, (pedals / cranks and traditional bicycle seat will still be alternative, 'bolt on' options) and (2) a narrower, lighter weight / duty frame geared towards small battery, and small, lighter-weight hubbies, and maybe lower powered mid-drive systems like the GNG kit. Possibly different materials, such as carbon fiber or aluminum.

It is all still up in the air though, whether these concepts materialize or not and the end result will be determined by demand, sound engineering, and a balance of my preferences and the customer's, so everyone feel free to chime in with what you would like to see, your ideas may be implemented. I like to think that the Phasor design in somewhat open source, although I don't divulge too many details of the end product for obvious reasons. I also envision these ideas as future options for the mid-drive systems, once I figure that out.

As soon as I have something more concrete you can be sure that you will see it here on ES first!

Again David very nice. Between you and Recumpense, your guys' IQ got to be close to 400 :mrgreen: The davinci mid drive should be your Phasor MX concept power component. Using that mid drive sytem with say a 420 Pitch chain and sprocket going to the rear would be tough as hell. @Recumpense, have you ran huge KW through MTB drive train? My thinking is, MTB drive train would be on the weak side for the power your design has. But using a 420 pitch chaing and sprocket could easily handle 16kw burst, at the cost of not having multiple speeds. Share your thoughts with us please.

There are a couple things to consider as far as drive train durability;

First, the drive unit will use a second chain to the left side of the rear wheel. The sprocket is offset 3/4 inch toward the spokes. This gives room for a disc brake and sprocket next to each other. That second chain would be a heavy duty BMX or trials type chain. They are crazy strong.

Second, torque loading is a function of static pressure. Static pressure changes (at a given wattage) depending on chain surface speed. What that means is, at a given wattage (Say 5,000 watts for sake of discussion), if the chain is moving slowly due to the ratio between the front and rear sprockets is very tall like on the pedal side, the torque loading on that chain and sprockets would be extremely high. However, if you run a small front sprocket (at the drive unit output), and a large rear sprocket and the wheel, the chain surface speed goes way up and reduces the torque on the chain by the same ratio as the increase in chain speed. So, if the chain moves twice as fast, the torque load on the chain cuts in half with the same wattage. This is the problem with crank drive systems. They put way too much torque on the pedal system. That is partly due to the narrow and weak chain and sprockets and partly due to the low chain surface speed for a given ground speed.

I hope I have not completely confused you. :mrgreen:

The short answer is "Yes" a bicycle chain can take HUGE power. The important thing is how that power is delivered and through what style bicycle components.

Matt

recumpence said:
There are a couple things to consider as far as drive train durability;

First, the drive unit will use a second chain to the left side of the rear wheel. The sprocket is offset 3/4 inch toward the spokes. This gives room for a disc brake and sprocket next to each other. That second chain would be a heavy duty BMX or trials type chain. They are crazy strong.

Second, torque loading is a function of static pressure. Static pressure changes (at a given wattage) depending on chain surface speed. What that means is, at a given wattage (Say 5,000 watts for sake of discussion), if the chain is moving slowly due to the ratio between the front and rear sprockets is very tall like on the pedal side, the torque loading on that chain and sprockets would be extremely high. However, if you run a small front sprocket (at the drive unit output), and a large rear sprocket and the wheel, the chain surface speed goes way up and reduces the torque on the chain by the same ratio as the increase in chain speed. So, if the chain moves twice as fast, the torque load on the chain cuts in half with the same wattage. This is the problem with crank drive systems. They put way too much torque on the pedal system. That is partly due to the narrow and weak chain and sprockets and partly due to the low chain surface speed for a given ground speed.

I hope I have not completely confused you. :mrgreen:

The short answer is "Yes" a bicycle chain can take HUGE power. The important thing is how that power is delivered and through what style bicycle components.

Matt

I get what you are saying, I have expereince the same circumstance with pedal power only. While mashing up hill on climb with 180mm crank arms, I would often times experience chain skip when mashing on the large chain ring up front, and small cog sprocket on the rear. And I never had that happend when in low gear or the small chain ring up front and the large rear cog sprocket.

well went 28 miles today LOTS of climbing still had 107 volts by the end of day!...only used 4.76 amp hours! had CA set at 25 amps

Attachments

• phasor-max-speed.jpg
    phasor-max-speed.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 3,295
  • phasor-mileage.jpg
    phasor-mileage.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 885
  • phasor-max-amps.jpg
    phasor-max-amps.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 885
recumpence said:
RPM creates a bit of sound. The sound these drives makes is a pleasant muffled whine, not a loud screech like a gearbox makes. I have never had a complaint about the sound. The only way to make this much power out of something so small is by spinning really fast. That high speed makes some sound.

Matt

yes I was thinking that too...like how a tiny turbine engine that a man could lift can hold up a small helicopter with four people due to gearing from the transmission (which often weighs more than the powerplant)

korpin said:
well went 28 miles today LOTS of climbing still had 107 volts by the end of day!...only used 4.76 amp hours! had CA set at 25 amps

Impressive numbers Korpin. Hopefully things prove to be reliable.

Rix said:
Impressive numbers Korpin. Hopefully things prove to be reliable.

DECIDED to take it to the limit went about 41 miles LOTS of climbing and high speed runs....power went out at a little over 9 amp hours used....voltage was at about 98 THEN suddenly dropped to 14 then went back up to 25...went I plugged in charger it went up to 98 volts again (full charge is a bit shy of 118)....9 amp hours seem like normal range (13 AH battery 2 57 volts in series) low voltage was set at 80

Allex said:
Korpin what is you average wh/mile and you average speed for that ride.
9Ah for 41miles is extremely low if you really push the bike.

DAMM I RESET THE COMPUTER so will have to check next time....my average speed was probably around 20 mph because I was doing lots of climbing....even after 30 miles I could go over 40 mph at 25 amps set on the CA

so my batteries are 13 AH so it was a bit over 9AH before power went out....... 70-75% then is what you can expect out of your batteries?...if that's the case,it seems the battery BMS has its own shut-off?

off topic but came across this mid drive on a Yuba frame....now if we could put this type of set up on a full suspension frame with a schlumph and a rholoff I belive we would have real practical machine under 100 pounds

Attachments

• yuba-mid-drive-closeup.jpg
    yuba-mid-drive-closeup.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 883
Back