E-Trike Project

Heeey Luke!

HAHA yeah i know you aint a chopper fan buddy TBH this trike isn't meant to be full on chopper more pro-stock/cruiser...It is oober comfy to ride you could sit on it all day without issue, i think you would be pleasantly surprised with the handling to mate ;)

Nothing on this trike has been made using CNC by myself...The cnc mill i am building isn't completed yet, there is a thread on here on CNC Zone covering the build if you wish to checkz out the work thus far Luke heap of pics of progress etc...I have been getting HEAPS of help from FrankG speak to him most days on Skype (when hes not away at the lake CURSE summers in Canada) He has been so helpful with advice/guidence having already succesfully built several cnc mills himself ontop of this Frank supplied free of charge the controller board and stepper motors ONTOP of doanting the motor from his Suzuki RM125 e-bike build to me for the trike!

Cheers for the welcome any wayz Luke...have to check up on your e-bike status in the coming days. catch up with whats been happening...You got them ESC sorted and not spitting flames at you yet mate LoL I planz on using similar setup in next trike anbd you will be pleased to hear LIPOS to and even LESS chopper like LoL actually hoping to take this next one offroad :)

KiM

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Amazing build Kim, the trike looks fanbloddytastic :mrgreen:
great to see you here again too, i've missed your posts mate, the tyres look wayyyy fat, make the old ones look like pram wheels in comparison, looking forward to seeing some vids up soon, please link and then i will subscribe to you on youtube.
I thinks you are more than entitled to scrub off the "apprentice" bit now, definately out and out GANGSTA 8)

Cheers,

D

Good to see you back mate :)
I've always been a big fan of your trike and your latest work hasn't changed my opinion!

How do you go towing the wheelchair though ? Do you take it easy or go flat chat ? I'm sure it's bearings etc aren't built for high speed and the tyres probably aren't terribly hard wearing ?
Could you maybe have an extension of the rear tray that slides out to hold your wheelchair up off the ground ?
It'd add a bit of weight levering off the back, but hey the trike popping wheelies could only be a good thing right ? :wink:

Good to hear you're going to be playing with lipos! Check out the new hobbycity turnigys. They're currently $10/cell for 5ah packs and perform really well. I've got 8 of em and the usual lipo sluts have even more! :p
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9174&Product_Name=Turnigy_5000mAh_5S_20C_Lipo_Pack

HI AJ: Looking at the trike towing the wheelchair it mabe too close to the rear of the trike, that short distance can make for a squirlley ride, try to make it a little farther back. BTW BEAUTIFULL TRIKE, I have 2 meridian trikes that i streached out about 12in. and thay are good for about 35 mph safely. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. BTW I am an old retired IRONWORKER from FLORDIA lots of sunshine. I have learned a lot from your work. GOOD DAY COOPER

Thanks All..:)

I try to answer a few of the questions asked..

How do you go towing the wheelchair though ? Do you take it easy or go flat chat ? I'm sure it's bearings etc aren't built for high speed and the tyres probably aren't terribly hard wearing ?

FLAT OUT haha only two speeds on this trike stop and flat out... TBH i can't even notice the chair is there, obviously the mnotor did it heated up alot quicker towing the chair before upgrading...The wheelchair also has suspension you may not have knonw this Hyena? The tire pressure of the wheelchair tires is 120psi :) Tiz a pretty pricey piece of kit this chair it is made in USA, QUIKIE XTR is the model, so yes...the chair tracks beautifully and BLUESTREAK I been riding it like this for months now when the trike is on maxium full steering lock going in circles the rear wheels of the trike clear the nearest part of the wheelchair by a good 2 inches (correction THAT was with OLD skinnies...i JUST checked then...on FULL lock i have ~1 clearance, the wheelchair front casters come inside the rear wheels on full lock...something i must admit i haven't used in daily riding just went out and did some doughnuts on the front yard to "TEST" the situation LoL)

Chair_hitched_trike.jpg

...Having it further back wasnt an option for the simple fact i wouldnt be able to sit on the trike and reach back to hook the chair to it ;) In regards to your concerns for the shortness of the 'rig' bere in mind the trike itslef is a ~1/2 a 26in wheel LONGER than your 'standard' 26in mountain bike...trike is extremely stable at speed ;)

deecanio ahhhh my English MTB mofo with his u-beaut new RC rig you must be grinnin ear to ear still buddy hahaha...I hope to meet up with Matt (1000watt) for a lil ride to get some video footage of both our rides on the go, teeing up a time with Matt is hit and miss with his job (Fireman) and his family commitments he was up last week but i was out grrr.. his bike on the trailer all ready AAAGH i was so pissed i missed him LoL... shall let you know when that happens...you can subscribe to my vids anywayz Deec aussiejester69 is my You Tube username :) OH hahaa and nagh still "Apprentice GangStaR" Deec...have to have Lipos to be truuuuuely Gangsta, if your bike isnt capable of bursting into a ball of flames then you aint trying hard enough in the battery department, and none of this protective clothing rubbish either SHORTS BABY.... SHOOORTS is all you get to wear HAHAA... So...Deec...when you losing the A123s and jammin some LIPO-Magic into that Stinky hehehe :p "GangSTaR Deecaino..." has a ringz to it :p

Cheers again fellas...

KiM

HI AJ: Sorry about my statement about the wheelchair being squirlley, i thought you were having problems with that but i reread your post and you were talking about the trike did not like the wheelchair at high speeds because of the weak motor. I just remember pulling a trailer that had a short tong and it was squirlly at high speeds. Keep up the good work. (FROM DOWN UNDER FLORIDA) COOPER

Hey AJ

hehehehehe, yeh loving the stinker, still some more work to do but like most of the other guys im waiting on White Industries to make us some freewheels that go onto splined hubs so i can get the motor and pedal power independant, the stinker is a hoot to ride but i spunk all my power pretty damn quick as pedaling has a lot of drag as my drive runs through the gears.
my new full face is still in its box LOL, i just think that it will draw too much attention to my bike which has enough stealth not to cause me any issues with the law ;p LIPO??? not sure mate, the stink will remain 123 powered as they are fine batts without any likelihood of the dreaded white ball :shock: - believe it or not deec is looking at a new dh'er :shock: i've fallen into mtb'ing in a big way and i can't be without a ride this winter while the stink is being reworked again!! however, the new bike will be full on - 7" front and rear travel, once i get the stink right i will enevitably be tempted to electrify it but i wont touch it until i get the stink right, then it'll be lipo baby :twisted: i plan on having the rig soooo stealth that i will only use a couple of packs tho and make them hot swappable, like grinhills current batt setup.
Good to see you around bro, subscribing now :mrgreen:

D

Chair_hitched_trike.jpg

...Having it further back wasnt an option for the simple fact i wouldnt be able to sit on the trike and reach back to hook the chair to it ;) In regards to your concerns for the shortness of the 'rig' bere in mind the trike itslef is a ~1/2 a 26in wheel LONGER than your 'standard' 26in mountain bike...trike is extremely stable at speed ;)

deecanio ahhhh my English MTB mofo with his u-beaut new RC rig you must be grinnin ear to ear still buddy hahaha...I hope to meet up with Matt (1000watt) for a lil ride to get some video footage of both our rides on the go, teeing up a time with Matt is hit and miss with his job (Fireman) and his family commitments he was up last week but i was out grrr.. his bike on the trailer all ready AAAGH i was so pissed i missed him LoL... shall let you know when that happens...you can subscribe to my vids anywayz Deec aussiejester69 is my You Tube username :) OH hahaa and nagh still "Apprentice GangStaR" Deec...have to have Lipos to be truuuuuely Gangsta, if your bike isnt capable of bursting into a ball of flames then you aint trying hard enough in the battery department, and none of this protective clothing rubbish either SHORTS BABY.... SHOOORTS is all you get to wear HAHAA... So...Deec...when you losing the A123s and jammin some LIPO-Magic into that Stinky hehehe :p "GangSTaR Deecaino..." has a ringz to it :p

Cheers again fellas...

KiM[/quote]

I didn't know the wheelchair has suspension, that's pretty cool.
I think you should stop pissing around with the trike (I'll give ya 100 bucks for it :p ) and just bolt 2 outrunners directly to each back wheel of the wheelchair :lol:

Hyena said:
and just bolt 2 outrunners directly to each back wheel of the wheelchair :lol:

ROFL you havent got a mic setup in my workshop have you buddy??!?!?##?! .....one mate was actually trying to talk me into poppin a 125cc two stroke on it hahaha... noooo too old now for that, shall stick to the highly illegal e-trike for time being pretty sure i can get in over my head with that in short time LOL...

KiM

if you had a sissy bar on back, you could hang the wheel chair off the rear by having a bracket down low back there to hang the front of the chair and then have some type of pulley and rope attached to the back of the wheelcahir to pull it up and carry the load through the pulley attached on the top end of the sissy bar.

then the chair would not be towed, but carried on back with less wear and rolling resistance. you are one of the few with the skills to make it work too.

we all read your notes about your friend Rhett. it got passed around a few ebike forums. i hope his passing makes us all more aware of how quickly thinks can go so very bad, crippling or killing without warning if we don't keep the odds in our favor by being prepared for the worst. he seemed such a nice guy, just like the rest of us into this new 'sport'

dnmun said:
if you had a sissy bar on back, you could hang the wheel chair off the rear by having a bracket down low back there to hang the front of the chair and then have some type of pulley and rope attached to the back of the wheelcahir to pull it up and carry the load through the pulley attached on the top end of the sissy bar.

then the chair would not be towed, but carried on back with less wear and rolling resistance. you are one of the few with the skills to make it work too.

I did think of doing something similar to this, decided that the dchair being towed would be a better alternative to pulling weight ONTO the trike. I concluded, with absolutely no evidence to back this up mind you LoL..that the rolling resistance would be less power hungry than hauling the chair ON the trike itself...either way im more than happy with how it works, i can jump on the trike spin the chair around clip it on and be on my way in under 20 seconds...The extra wear on the chair is mute point to me i pay for zero maintenance costs on the chair this is covered by the government and TBH even if it wasnt i doubt it would be much of an issue...

dnmun said:
we all read your notes about your friend Rhett. it got passed around a few ebike forums. i hope his passing makes us all more aware of how quickly thinks can go so very bad, crippling or killing without warning if we don't keep the odds in our favor by being prepared for the worst. he seemed such a nice guy, just like the rest of us into this new 'sport'

Yes Rhett was one of them genuinely nice fellows not a mean bone in his body, also highly skilled individual a commercial airline pilot also flying many sorte's into Bagdad. Rhett was also a devoted RC enthusiast mastering both fixed wing and choopers.

...He will be missed by many...

rhett_RIP.jpg

R.I.P Rhett

Nice chair!

I've actually thought about making a badass electric way overpowered full suspension wheel chair, and doing my best to make it look like a normal electric wheel chair, then taking it everywhere. I've never seen anyone actually ask if the person in a wheelchair was actually handicapped, so I think it would work out pretty well for general purpose things, like grocery shopping and running errands. Worst case scenario, you can always just speed-away. :)

liveforphysics said:
Nice chair!

I've actually thought about making a badass electric way overpowered full suspension wheel chair, and doing my best to make it look like a normal electric wheel chair, then taking it everywhere. I've never seen anyone actually ask if the person in a wheelchair was actually handicapped, so I think it would work out pretty well for general purpose things, like grocery shopping and running errands. Worst case scenario, you can always just speed-away. :)

Great Idea! If the body doesn't stop falling apart soon I may be needing something like that. Wonder if my insurance or Medicare would pay for one of those or would I have to ask Obama for to reward my failure or tax the successful for me to have it? ;^) Maybe then I could get into the electric wheelchair drag races. Somebody needs to do it.

liveforphysics said:
Nice chair!

Yeah its alot better than the local made jobs i went through 3 of them and half a dozen axles prior to getting the quickie, being an in-complete para im ALOT more mobile than full para as such the chairs get a pounding, when i was younger stairs were tackled with little regad for personal safety successfully bumping down 27 steps at stumps leaving the Club 'A' in Scarborough was a regular on Saturday nights LoL...Chairs didnt last long...Wheelchairs are prety fun to play around in. all my close mates have a blast in mine, when they become not so fun is when you CAN'T get out of them and walk...Shopping malls are THE BEST to Luke you could half your shopping time, everyone just parts when you come towards them LoL...

KiM

I hate even going inside a shopping mall, but I gotta agree, it would totally be worth it to build a badass electric chair just for shopping. Lol. I could go simple and discrete looking with just a pair of x5 hubmotors in each wheel, and a very slick controller setup to sync the motors for straight travel. I'm definately going to put the idea into my head to start the designing process. Lol! When I go back to college it would be a major time saver getting to classes across campus too! :) :p ;)

HAHA dont forget the wheelie bars if you go with a pair of X5s ya crazy baaaastard HAHAA.... Idea i had Luke was actually pretty simple, i was going to buy one of them lectric scooters off ebay, cut it in half and attach the section under and out the back of the chair so as when i popped a wheelie the scooter wheel made contact on the ground, effectively making it a 'Tadpole' trike, steering would be a simple friction affair as per when manually using a wheelchair. This would allow easy manual use of the chair when y9u got to your destination (indoors etc) Still not something i have totally discounted either as i have a scooter here now that my bro gave me from a curbside collection....

KiM

deecanio said:
looking forward to seeing some vids up soon,

Well Mr Deec, you iz in luck my english friend, i just got off a 45 minute phone call with Matt he has the day off tomorrow!!! So...weather permitting you will get some video, more of Matts bike though as we here at ES haven't seen his new ride in motion at all, he is also bringing his latest creation that unless your FBN member wont have gotten the chance to see-->

Giantsimple5.jpg

I'm still trying to convince Matt to electrify it...but failing, perhaps if we all banded together on this we might have some success hehehe...

We also plan to do a mark out 100m and see what his crusier can do too, going to be up there with the best times until Recumpence or Luke throw their hats into the ring LoL...I have geared my trike down too much to be anywhere near impressive with times now, hell i'll have trouble keeping up to him now, unless we climb the side of a mountain LoL.. anywayz Deec, pray for fine weather (we is ending our wet season atm) rain is forecast but patchy and mainly fine...and you will get your video tomorrow :p

KiM

FrankG said:
Hey Kim...

Glad you're back... and posting to this thread!

Thanks buddy :)

I had a good ride today with my mate Matt shot some
video of him covering the standing 100m in an impressive 10 seconds!

I have some additional footage too that might surprise you Frank or not LoL...tiz your motor behaving like an Internal Combustion engine...

[youtube]sMI9gDLuykI[/youtube]

we thought it best at this point NOT to run the trike over 100m's deecanio LoL... Damn that fibreglass resin has an odour to it dont it Frank i have never got it even close to hot before today, we went over the escarpment some decent gradients there and we were stopping and starting alot on slopes pulling 100 plus amps alot starting off again with chair behind loaded with bounty from kerbside collecting hehee...going to pull the motor out tomorrow and check the insulation on the wire, from the smell im assuming it will be ok unless the resin was masking the smell of the magnetic wire insulation melting :-S

I still have my original armature stripped ready for re-winding, after using this motor with the thicker AWG19 wire ill definitely be following suit with the next wind, if i gave the stock motor the abuse this one got today i wouldnt have made it home let alone out again to time Matts run on the 100m stretch! YES i jumped STRAIGHT back on the trike and road it another kilometre UP the hill!

Shall report back tomorrow when i have removed and inspected the armature/windings.

KiM

p.s some may remember one of my earlier videos of the trike climbing a impressively steep hill pulling over the top at 20km/hr...Matt ran the same hill today on the cruiser hitting top speed of 51km/hr before the ascent riding over the top at 31km/hr! VERY impressive! Heres a video of Matt coming over the top of the hill, can see now how steep this sucker is !

02jze said:
Have you ever had any police attention on your bike or any one that you know of?? Im always in trouble with the law and predict it wont take long before im busted riding mine here in queensland..

Nup never...not likely to on this trike either i have a new bike now :)

MockUp_Complete_pic.jpg

The trike presently is tripped awaiting rebuild as i have donated it too a legally
blind friend who will use it on cycle ways to get to local shops has
enough eyesight if i 'de-tune' it a lil to ride it...

KiM

02jze said:
Build me one...

Good luck with that LoL.. its my hobby not something i do as a 'job'
i have no idea how many hours goes into it, i work on it when i feel up to it
usually no more than 2-3 hours a day, suits me fine allows me to save the $$
for parts, also takes time to get items in as 99% of it is from overseas...

All that said...i wouldnt part for the new bike for under $AU4k not because its "worth" that much
$$$ wise, but thats what it would take for me to part with it...parts to build it labour
aside i guess around $AU1000 give or take few bucks is all i have spent on it, I was
donated many parts for the build...so ~$AU1500-1800 without the generosity of
ES members (please see sig for suppliers for some of the EXCELLENT components used in this build)

KiM

p.s...if you would like a frame made to your design P.M me, that im happy to do
you pay for materials plus labor($AU25hr/freight) i'll build what ever you like from steel
FYI: takes me about 6-8hrs per frame materials ~$AU150 :)

Back