E-Trike Project

I dont know man...
Your trike does kind of looks like a kit I saw at the FleaMarket last week.
Dude was selling them for $50 + two free cans of spraypaint :mrgreen:

-methods

methods said:
I dont know man...

-methods
:lol:
Ya it's all the rage in China now, got my son a mini version for a "good price".

*cackle*

J

methods said:
I dont know man...

-methods

ROFLMAO... you should of picked it up Meth, be quicker than the Stinky you got
with that heavy archaic dinner plate sized hub motor on it, give you a taste of some REAL
speed buddy, I know I know the whole "changing of gears" has you bamboozled but i'm
sure if you ask Luke nicely he will give you a few lessons :p :p :p aside from that be
a bloody good deal paid 18 bucks for a can of Matt black to paint the battery box
yesterday faaaark LoL

Looking like i will be doing a 'take 3' too as far as the battery box goes, the tool
box 'idea' ended abruptly when my pop rivet gun called it quits, rivet jammed in
the gun so i did the sensible thing and took it apart, little did i know it was spring
loaded and POW bitz flew across my workshop never to be seen again.

I'm now thinking a thin plywood/angle ali box OR simply re-do the existing
setup with a new 'top' for the batteries, either way I WANT TO BE RIDING IT TODAY!!11oneoneone

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

p.s

DeeJay said:
Ya it's all the rage in China now got my son a mini version for a "good price"

Child protection service will be after you, might as well hand your kid a gun and let him play with it
be safer than him riding a bike made in China :p :p :p

Funny fellas :)

DeeJay wrote:Ya it's all the rage in China now got my son a mini version for a "good price"

AussieJester said:
Child protection service will be after you, might as well hand your kid a gun and let him play with it
be safer than him riding a bike made in China :p :p :p

Hey...come to think of it, he DOES have an electric toy trike.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3035&p=90598&hilit=toy+trike&sid=6717a47187c3181d0b271f5c65408174#p90598

And damn, you're right ! He almost got hurt riding it ...

I was so excited to see the EV grin on his face that I was neglecting a nagging feeling in the back of my mind. I couldn't figure out what it was until he road down a fairly steep hill. :?:

Oh Kla Homa !

He couldn't stop! No brakes!

I had to run down and grab him. :?

He had a lot of common sense though and used the flintstone brakes *shoes* :wink:

Anyway, he used that toy no more than five times. He got bored because it was slow and wasn't as challenging as his bicycle. That, and no brakes... HAA ! 1 :lol:

J

EDIT: Oh, and yes, it was "Made in China" :lol:

I had planned to hook him up with more speed but I found that only the right wheel was driven by the motor, so any faster and he'd be spinning in circles and possibly flip over.

Cheese & Toast products Made in China, I tell ya...

...ah well, we just found the thing, got nice little memories out it *for free* memories that he and I can share when he's older.

Excuse the thread-jacking ! :mrgreen:
J
Back to our regularly scheduled E-Trike program ...

Dee Jay said:
I had planned to hook him up with more speed but I found that
only the right wheel was driven by the motor, so any faster and he'd be spinning in circles and possibly flip over.

Uhm...mine only drives via the right back wheel too, he'll be right volt him up and let
him go hehehe :p

Update

Full custom plywood & aluminum battery box got underway today unfortunately i didn't get it completed as
i wished, had a few mates drop by throughout the day "interupting me" LoL ...anywayz, i have a few
pics of the progress thus far, pretty self explanatory i think-->

Custom_e-trike_battery_mount_pic_1.jpg

Custom_e-trike_battery_mount_pic2.jpg

Custom_e-trike_battery_mount_pic4.jpg

Custom_e-trike_battery_mount_pic3.jpg

Custom_e-trike_battery_mount_pic5.jpg

Custom_e-trike_battery_mount_pic6.jpg

Custom_e-trike_battery_mount_pic7.jpg

As can be seen fair whack of the work is done, all panels cut and the bottom aluminum angle in place,
the bottom of the battery box has also been mounted on the jarrah wooden 'mounts'.

I was looking at it after i set it in the trike for the final pic and got thinking it probably wouldnt
look too bad with a nice wood stain and varnish on it, i had planned to paint the plywood
"Gangsta Black" and scotch bright the ali (probably still will TBH) but i can see how neat
the wood could look....anyhoot...more around this time tomorrow, i would bloody well hope
it will be running this time tomorrow too :: sigh ::

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

HAHA looks like an old ammo case is it? How about if i
pop a few bullet holes randomly over the battery case reckon that will 'Gangsta' it up enough buddy hehehe :p Those bikes of yours a Gangsta 8) mate freakin sweeeeet rides Hal very impressive work indeed.

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

HAL9000v2.0 said:
I like how you put those cables and the cables look sweet, they look thick... Where did you get it?

Tiz stainless steel braided cable from ChoppersUS Hal...isnt alot thicker than your 'standard' cable outers the reason the onez look thick i think is because there is three cables running along the top tube...therez one for each rear brake caliper and one for the rear derailleur ;) Either way it is good stuff i bought 20 foot of the stuff only have a few feet left trike used more than i first thought it would LoL...Would go great on your bikes (unless your using hydraulic brakes?) i forget now...

KiM

Update

I can't get a break i swear, out of the blue my BEST mate decides
to have his 38th Birthday today what an inconsiderate baaastard or
what, here'z I is trying to finish the bloody trike and this crap
happens BAD timing right!!!!!oneoneone I made him 'pay' on
the pool table at the local too 6-1 whipped him freakin good haha...

Anywayz...EIGHT EIGHTY self taping screws later and nearly 4
bloody meters of ali angle, half a can of etch primer and half a
can of "Gangsta Black" i have the battery box complete albeit
STILL freakin EMPTY!!! :: sigh:: Tomorrow it will be...OH crap...
be hung over .... I'll take one for the team 'Method stylin' still
a few JD's in the fridge hair of the dog and I'll be into it fittin'
the lecktrics

I REALLY didnt want to post pics until aforementioned electrics
were installed but the sun got to that particular height the light
was right the Jacks was cold we was happy so wheeled out
the trike for these few snaps for you fellas seez what weez where

seenin'...hrmz...you prolly get to see it less "blurred" thugh LoL --->

Battery_box_complete_pic_1.jpg

Yes Ladies i am available for a price...if you have toi ask how much you can't afford me :p <--that even made me laugh hehehe

Battery_box_complete_pic_2.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FLAVIO MAAAAN!!! Rare Occasion he
actually AGREED to having his pic taken!!

Battery_box_complete_pic_3.jpg

I shall do my best to get the trike up and running tomorrow
lads, has taken me a day longer than anticipated to get this
battery box done, i am VERY happy with how its turned out
i must say but faaark me what a struggle, every one of the
88 screws was individually cut so as not to protrude through
the ply as well as being glued in place to assure they wont
come loose...

Back soon with HEAPS of CLOSE UP pics of final install guyz OH so
bloody close but STILL no cigar...off for a night cap and the
last few slices of Pizza...

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

p.s Thanks to Luke for the advice in the fuse situation much appreciated buddy :)

FrankG said:
Jeezzzuuussss!!!

The bat-box is dead-on... I was looking at the wood panels and the Alum bracketry and couldn't see it fitting with the bike in the teaser-shots during assembly...

But as always our good friend "Black" ties it all together again.

Yes good ol' Matt Balck and brushed ali they do work well together dont they Frank :) Also have the alloy housed Kelly speed controller to mount on top of the battery box along with a "rocket launcher" style switch and of course the mandatory '"battery master switch" should break up the black top nicely i think, im sooooo hangin to have a ride on it now mate, was pissin rain this morning too i thught "oh great even if i do finish it i cant bloody ride it ....."

FrankG said:

"If the Women don't find you handsome, thay should at least find you Handy!"

ROFL...well, im not that handy or qualified but more than happy to take a look :p

Cheers mate appreciate the interest/comments :)

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

Well fellas, it has been a journey, thanks to all that have helped me and
supported the build and given their invaluable advice along the way, docnjoj
...Recumpence...Methods...Liveforphysics...FrankG...etard...Deecano...Hal
to
name a few that immediately spring to mind, you have been instrumental in the build with
support and advice BIG thankyou...has been an absolute pleasure to
get to know you fellas :)

Update

OK then...there is still the tray too build but thats going to happen in the near
future, i'm done for now, shall enjoy the trike for a bit and move onto the next build
tilting Delta wheelie capable that I Hope will help keep the too
crazy "northerners" honest yes you Luke and Patrick hehee

Here are the final pics of the wiring complete...

Custom_trike_wiring_pics1.jpg

Custom_trike_wiring_pics2.jpg

Custom_trike_wiring_pics5.jpg

Custom_trike_wiring_pics3.jpg

Custom_trike_wiring_pics4.jpg

I have 'bullet hole' decals on route, shall pop a few on the box and the tray(when built)
to complete the 'Rat look' uhm ..."Gangsta Look" hehe along with the previously
upped 'Rat sticker'

Shall be doing a video overview in coming days along with timed 100meters, those subscribed to
my youtube vids shall see when these are upped ;)

Thanks again fellas, been real ;)

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

p.s Doc...thats how you build a Delta buddy hehehe :p :p :p

Bravooooo! :D

I realy like it. It is so simple and efficient.
Man, you needed less than a year to finish it. (just looking at the first post).

Don't rest too long we are waiting for the next one...
(I know that feeling; siting on a just finished bike in garage feeling happy and looking around what to do next...)

Kim,
I've followed your build since the beginning and have never failed to be impressed by your productivity, determination, and ingenuity.
Documenting the build while sharing your humour, insights and vision with all of us merits archiving.
You've set a benchmark. Thank you.
Dale

Damn! You will be missed, Aussie! Where am my gonna find workmanship that I can aspire to, but never achieve? Best of luck, but I still think deltas are backward tadpoles!! :mrgreen:
otherDoc

Aussie joined Safe here:

http://www.ebikehub.com/forum/index.php

His Trike is here:

http://www.ebikehub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=855

G'day Folks long time no see :)

I have been busy with both the trike and building a CNC milling
machine over the last few months ... thought i might swing back to ES and bring the members
upto speed with this build.... AND... for another build i have planned, i think some might find of
interest. NO Doc it wont be a tadpole trike sorry to disappoint :p

Before that though must bring THIS worklog up-to speed with what's been going down with
this trike!

Last pics of the trike on this log are VERY out of date, my trike has gone through
a few changes. I have added a tray, a tow hitch to tow my wheelchair
the seat has been re-designed, the motor My1020 has had the armature
replaced with one given to me (BIG THANKS AGAIN FRANK! You ROCK!)
that's wound with AWG19 wire by FrankG member here on
ES and owner of http://www.theworkshop.ca Prior to this i tried a double wind
on the MY1020 with AWG20 size wire...was less than satisfactory...lastly and probably
the most notable improvement are that of the new rear rims and rubber hehee

OK some pics of the work ES has missed.

Remoulded seat

remodeled_seat.jpg

Custom_Trike_Cruiser_Latest_Pic_new_seat_design.JPG

Rear tray pics

Custom_Cruiser_tray_series_pic_1.jpg

Custom_tray_tow+hitch+series+pic-1.jpg

Finished Tray Pics

Custom_e-trike_completed_series_pics1_800.jpg

continued.....

Motor Rewind Pics

Our good mate Safe has been re-winding the MY1020 motors with reported improvements. Safe
was rewinding double and triple configs (stock the MY1020 has single wind of AWG22 magnetic wire)
I tried the double rewind on my motor using AWG20 wire, i manged a 11x2=22 wind setup which
worked but not as well as expected...heres pics of the rewind process anyways -->

Few before shots

tn_motor_rewind_pic1.JPG

tn_motor_rewind_pic2.JPG

tn_motor_rewind_pic3.JPG

Stripped and ready for some paint

tn_motor_rewind_pic7.JPG

End plates stock on left enlarged vent holes on right

tn_motor_rewind_pic8.JPG

Both End caps with enlarged vent holes and additional holes added

tn_motor_rewind_pic112.JPG

Read to rewind

tn_motor_rewind_pic113.JPG

THE START!

tn_motor_rewind_pic114.JPG

Progress shots of rewind including "secret weapon"

continued...

tn_motor_rewind_pic119.JPG

Full 20AWG 11 x 2 == 22 Rewind pic FRONT

tn_motor_rewind_pic123.JPG

Full 20AWG 11 x 2 == 22 Rewind pic FRONT

tn_motor_rewind_pic122.JPG

New Rear RiMz and Tires [/b][/i] BIG THANKYOU to Allen at ChoopersUS for puting these aside for me..

20X4.25%20pic%201.JPG

20X4.25%20pic%202.JPG

20X4.25%20pic3.JPG

Mounted Pics of new rimz and tires

I laced the wheel up myself using the custom size spokes order for the older 20in rims, they
pulled up nicely BUT i have little thread left on the spokes and foresee 5mm shorter numbers
being ordered in future when i am ready to put some more HP throw the wheels...(note
motor is absent in above pics...was out for first double re-wind)

Custom_trike_first_pics_new_rears2.JPG

Custom_trike_first_pics_new_rears3.JPG

Custom_trike_first_pics_new_rears_1.JPG

DEFINITELY improves the look of the trike IMO...handling isn't a heap different, the larger
OD wheels give slightly higher top end, acceleration though seems unaffected it still lights up the
rear wheel if i give it a handful...this is mostly due to FrankG's re-wound MY1020 i believe
I can cain the hell out of it and it gets luke warm LOVIN it!!! Tried this with stock MY1020 it
resulted in smoke coming from the brush plate end of the motor LoL...Trike dislikes towing
wheelchair at my preferred speed up hills...something needed to be done...and was.... :p

Well...i think that completes the update on this project OH...there is an overview i did of the trike
few months back prior to new tires/rims/motor might be of interest, some close up video and
vocal explanation of the trike

[youtube]8Z0X_3jh4Xw[/youtube]

Shall return in coming weeks with new project, i have designed full independent rear suspension
trike with both rear wheels driving powered by 7000watt Outrunner... Complete trike will be custom
fabricated. Steel and Polyethylene ...just been waiting on some fine weather, pissing rain and single digit numbers
makes it too cold and miserable in workshop for AJ...Shall post my sketches of the design in new thread...

Before ending the post I best make a public apology to YPedal for the tyrant of abuse i hurled at him, was undeserved...my apologies mate. To the others i directed abuse towards in safes thread i make no apology

KiM

p.s what ya thinkz about that Other Doc...? Delta trikes FTMFW :p Is that a new taddy i seez in your Avtar Doc? LiNk ME!!

HAL9000v2.0 said:
Welcome back, Aussie,

Your trike looks great. New wheels is awsome, what is the difference in handling/acceleration between onld and new?

Thanks Hal...

Handling is about same i think, i did have a break between riding with stock wheels and with 4.25in though...as for speed a couple km/hr faster top end BUT the acceleration seems the same this wouldnt be the case if i was using the old motor though it would be slightly slower. OH...it is a lil 'softer' on the larger curbs now, the suspension takes up most of it but i think the tires have a a say in the comfort level...One thing it has done though is made it look ALOT more like a motorcycle still... :: fingers crossed :: no trouble from the LAW and i finally was spotted by the local ranger he waved at me as i toodled along the bike path on my merry way..

I see your frames have become in demand too Hal! no surprise there buddy... Hows the RC frame coming along any progress on that yet? DiD i hear rumblings you and Recumpence might be doing a joint bike? LOVE to see a Hal frame with a couple of Astros faaaaark me that would be sick Hal DO it Do it NOW LoL

KiM

It's good to see you Bro! It's been too long!

You know I'm a chopper-hater, but I gotta admit, I love your creation, and I love that you did it all yourself. Very slick setup with the tow-hook, and your rack looks outstanding! Did you make some of those parts on your DIY CNC machine? Do you have any pics of it? I've been drooling over the idea of buying or building a CNC machine.

Good to have you back!

Back