E-Trike Project

safe said:
From an economic sense it's very hard to justify electric vehicles. :(

Very true safe very true...still would like to try one of these RC setups though, be smoking fast ALOT quicker than any legal ICE motor i could use, i prolly should of forked out for it all instead of buying the Kelly speed controller :-S Recumpence hadnt finished the drives at that time though and i think i would have to use one they is sexy peice of kit....

You realize that if you "Go ICE" that this group will throw tomato's at you and yell and scream that you are a traitor right?

The endless-sphere mob is going to go on a riot... :shock:

Pretty soon Ypedal will be banning you from the forum for being a "heretic".

You will have been possessed by the devil.

(and the mob will want to burn you at the stake)

jeanne_darc.jpg

...maybe if you could build more of a "hybrid" system it will soften the anger of the mob and grant your release? :lol:

HAHAHA yeah your prolly right safe...although i doubt any of them even read this thread i "upset" them long ago :D hehehee... no biggy, either way i still have motoredbikes.com, motorbicycling.com and freakbikes to keep me amused :)

category_batteries.gif

http://elitepowersolutions.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=16&products_id=30

If you didn't mind spending some serious $$$ you could get these Thundersky cells and have electric bike range like you could hardly imagine. (probably 50 miles would be my guess)

The bottom line is that gas has dominated the earth for a reason... it's really cheap for what you can do with it. :?

rwmax1.jpg

Yeah i started a thread in the battery section about Thundersky few weeks ago safe...Was looking at the 20AH offering from them..Still no idea if they can take the amps i will dish out nobody seems to know much about them or isnt saying anything :-S Upside no BMS...Only downside was they wouldn't provide me with a 240volt input charger they only have 120volt...not a HUGE prob but it is another 70 or so dollars for a converter ... modifying the PSU would void warranty...

safe said:
The bottom line is that gas has dominated the earth for a reason... it's really cheap for what you can do with it. :?

I can't see it changing in our lifetime either, with biofuels increasing in production and an infrastructure setup for liquid type fuels why change...there isnt a better alternative.

AussieJester said:
HAHAHA yeah your prolly right safe...although i doubt any of them even read this thread i "upset" them long ago :D hehehee... no biggy, either way i still have motoredbikes.com, motorbicycling.com and freakbikes to keep me amused :)

How can you say that with 11733 views, 33 pages long and all the replies you got :)

Some people like builds like this (from ground up), I know i enjoyed reading through you build. (When i joined you were about done)
Others would rather see some one dish out $2000, stick a wheel on, a battery to the back and off you go.
and others like both.
but you can't say no one reads your build :)

And even if only 3 or 4 people were reading it, so what, be proud of what you did and at least 3 or 4 people enjoyed it with you. :)

Rock on Gangsta, and forget about gas, add another 48 volt motor to the other wheel and grab 4 more batteries,
this way you can go get beer faster :mrgreen:

AussieJester said:
Was looking at the 20AH offering from them...
The problem with those cells (aside from your charger issue) is that they packed four cells together without even allowing for the ability to do balancing. They apparently don't even know how to do it:

http://elitepowersolutions.com/products/qanda.php

Cell balancing capability is a very beneficial feature to bring the cells within a pack more closed matched. We currently do not have cell balancers available. We are exploring in this direction. We welcome collaboration and partnership leading to most suitable solution in this area. We only recommend putting cells in series during application, never in parallel. This ensures all cells are having the same charge and discharge rate (same current).

Kim hasn't replied here in 2 days now.
He must have took my advice and added another motor, went to get his 24 pack (just to see if it would fit in his new tray at the back :D ) and is now in wonderland :mrgreen:
It's hard to read posts and reply with a hangover :lol:

Hey Kim, I was thinking of doing the Springer Forks, I was going to use suspension springs off of scrap (donor) bikes for the top springs (i have quite a few donor bikes)
My question is, how heavy do these forks turn out to be, with 4 springs 1/4 inch plate etc. ?
I do want to make some but maybe keep them for my next build because of weight.

If you don't answer here i'll understand and ask on the other forum :D

By the way, I was saving money to buy the controller for my build, but saw an add for another Stingray bike with the 4 inch wheel so i bought that instead (before they come really ear) my controller will have to wait.
I was thinking that if i get a few of these i can strip them and sell the parts. or trade parts for something i need.

There is another one in oshawa (about 15 to 20 miles from me, but they want $150, I will call them tomorrow and see if i can bring the price down.

If I get 2 reasonably cheap rims i'll let you know, that is if your still looking.

HAHA nagh im still about mate...

Can't really give you an accurate measure on the weight of the springer
bud i never got around to weighing them. They are pretty heavy though
matey, not as heavy as the springers sold by Choppers US however, i
have held a pair of them in my hands they are seeeeriously heavy.
Springs from Porch swing type chairs can also be used if you want
sometime heavier, you need heavy springs on the bottom and the
top springs (rebound springs) are alot lighter. Use ICE motor engine
core plugs as spring retainers they're a couple bucks each from Auto
Store come in all sizes so take the springs you will use with you ;)

I have been busy painting the frame of the trike shall have pics in a few
days :) Cant be bothered with powdercoating, maybe come Winter when
its too cold and wet to ride i'll have it powder coated...for now Matt "Gangsta" Black
will have to suffice, mainly coz its the colour of the etch primer i already
have on the shelf and i needz something to cover the bare (welded) metal
so it dont rust......should get BIG *tick* from Mentor Methods
in the Gangsta 8) stakes anywayz hehehe...

Speaking of Matt Black paint...have you spotted this yet Bobocop-->

attachment.php

VERY HEAVILY modded OCC bicycle by BrettMavrik at motoredbikes.com The Suspension system is fantastic....
Might wanna keepz an eye out for some OCC choppers as well as the
Stingrays as they have the 4.25 rim/tyre combo on the rear also ;)

Also... I just spotted this... thought of 'ol safe when i saw this
'new twist' on the old board track racers--->

attachment.php

attachment.php

more here is the builders first ever build too :-| some serious skillz i thinkz...

Lotsa room for batteries in there safe, stretch him out a tad more
for high speed stability, add one of Matts drive units and and RC
outrunner before the rear tyre an you would have a seriously schweeeeet
lookin ride ...nice looking chassis i thought anywayz...

More Soon...

Kim

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

yeah looks sweet reminds me of a Buell actually... Why these
fellas dont get some quality sub 50cc motors in their rides
is beyiond me, they all go for these Chinese 49cc motors. They are rubbish...but cheap i guess.
That last bike in the pic is SCREAMING for a full blown 47cc
watercooled race motor...Tiz what i'm considering for my trike anywayz-->

red-banshee-motor.jpg

I seen a pocket bike engined equipped MTB (just stock pocket bike motor) on Youtube
doing up around 120km/hr so they have the grunt...

I hope Pocketbikesunlimited.com
deliver to Australia ....

Kim

HAHHA HELL YEAH!!! I have seen a few of these
up close, the workmanship is simply OUTSTANDING...Something i could envisage a "petrol head" version of our own Mr Recumpence machining up in his basement alas though, he is a "Volt Head" hehehe...

I wonder if i could get one of these lil 47cc motors running on "fuel" distilled in a home still ? Make up a mash...one bottle for Kim one bottle for the trike hehehe...Sounding better the more i thinkz about it this ICE business LMAO...

Kim

EDIT:

P.S HAL9000v2.0 that latest Grayborg is freakin INSANE loving the frame mate fantastic design and fabrication, very much looking forward to seeing updates on the project...

AussieJester said:
Use ICE motor engine
core plugs as spring retainers they're a couple bucks each from Auto
Store come in all sizes so take the springs you will use with you ;)

Yeh, I have quite a few of those (along with some other stuff that might be useless to others) that i brought home from when I was working (I'm an auto mechanic)
I like to collect this kind of stuff incase i need it one day, my wife says it's junk and i tell her that i will through some stuff out tomorrow (i always say tomorrow and she say's tomorrow never comes :D ) while i'm kicking it under the bench when she's not looking :D

AussieJester said:
Speaking of Matt Black paint...have you spotted this yet Bobocop-->

attachment.php

Yeh, you posted that on my build thread, that looks nice. that's a flat black
I'm going to go with base coat clear coat on my build (thats what they use on cars now)
The powder coat is nice but you need an oven big enough for your pieces, Base coat clear coat is just about as good.

For those that don't know (what base coat clear coat is) base coat is something like doing floors, when you put a dull wood color on and then apply a varnish to make it shiny and durable, but for cars. (as i said every car today is done this way)

AussieJester said:
Might wanna keepz an eye out for some OCC choppers as well as the
Stingrays as they have the 4.25 rim/tyre combo on the rear also ;)

There are a few OCC choppers here for sale, (they want something like $300 :roll:, I guess the name "OCC" is worth $200) but the back wheel doesn't look as wide, they look more like 3",

In Missouri you can actually use a 50cc motor and be fully legal without any need for a license. I even thought about buying an Aprilia road racer since they are only 50cc.

26554_0_1_2_rs%2050_Image%20credits%20-%20Aprilia.jpg

...but the whole point (for me) of this hobby is the "Going Green" part. I have already owned an MB5 and had thousands and thousands of fun miles with it.

"Going Green" is the "challenge". :)

Hey Aussie! Your work is so good that even us Petrol haters will continue to applaud you! Especially me! but I only dislike it on a bike. A good plug-in electric car would would be beyond my means, but one can dream. Meantime my trike with 20 ah battery goes about 25 miles per charge. More than I want to go!
otherDoc

Theeeerez ma favorite Doc :) Cheerz mate... my trike is again in pieces actually :) Fully primed and ready for last coat of paint before reassembly, we havent had a day under 30 (thats near 90in the old money) of late, so i been sitting in the aircon enjoying my newly purchased 24inch LCD LoL... My slas's are absolutely rooted now too i cant get 2km's from them anymore...well...not riding how i like to anywayz "putting" along at 5-10km/hr they might get 4-5km hehehe...SO... i think ill buy me 4 more when the trikes back together as i have found a supplier local that sells them for 60 bucks each opposed to the 100each i was only able to find previously...this will tied me over until a better (cheaper) alternative raises its head i think well..at least till the Aussie dollar gains momentum :-S ...guess its "good" news for the petrol haters the trike will remain lecky.....for now ;) and i do reeeeeally want to get one of Recumpences drive units and fitz a rc motor to the trike so...still much on the electric front i would likez to achieve ;) Cheerz for poppin in Doc ;) OH..did you checkz the latest video ( watch in high quality)

KiM
Apprentice Gangsta 8)

FrankG said:
Kim,

Aside... I watched your "Lock-Picking Video" and couldn't help but think, "Typical... What else would come from a nation founded by convicts" :lol:

Meant in :lol: fun, :lol:

no offense intended :oops:

BWAHAHAHAHA no offence taken buddy... that vid was actually to prove to a friend "yorky" that picking a lock doesn't require expensive lock pick tools or a hell of alot of experience...think the point was proven ;-P As for the convicts your not far from the mark LoL...My sister has been research our family tree for years, she found we have a relative that was on the first convict ship over, he was done in Ye OL England for steeeling pigs to put in his pies (he owned a bakery) so he got free ticket to the land of OZ... Most of my Ancestry hales from Norway however..YES i am a Viking ...explains the love for my spiked gangsta hat maybeeee.... hehehe

The gennie idea is a goodun, alas i wont be venturing down that path...lil to uhm "tame" i thinkz LoL HOWEVER, i would still like to do a Hybrid design and have wanted to from nearly the beginning. The My1020 will stay (till its replaced with a RC motor and Recumpence drive madly advertising shit to raise dollars atm for it LOL)-->

eDrive-06.jpg

damn Aussie dollar grrr...anywayz... the lecky will stay...i will weld another bar across the frame parallel to the bottom tube, this bar will have enough clearance between to house 48v ~10ah of Lipos...on the top bar will be a 47cc pit bike motor...well thats the idea. I will use a trigger type lever for the electric throttle and use this for take offs upto to ~30-40km/hr & entry into carparks and the like (1st gear) then power the 47cc motor for cruising. I see the best of both worlds here, oober quick acceleration (something the 47cc cant give my 100kilo self and equally heavy trike LoL) and the advantage of well over 100km range on a tank of gas that will cost under 2 bucks :) This wont happen over night but it is the long term objective...firstly the electric side must be up to scratch and would have been if not for Mr Recumpence and his oober L337 skillz on a freakin cnc machine :: sigh :: damn man making mechanical pr0n to tempt us poor Aussie convicts LoL

Cheers for the input though Frank...fantastic idea and all but i reeeeeallly want one of them flash one hey 47cc race motors with tuned pipe and watercooling LoL

Kim

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

WowAussie! That was pretty fast! I may get to 30 mph with my geared Bafang but I'm a bit gun shy and want to build up slowly! Great erzats AC/DC for the sound track but I know it's not them cause Ecstasy hadnt been "developed" when they sang in the 70s.I like the way you lean into turns. I have to really "hike out" on my trike to keep it on 3 wheels, and it doesn't have as low a C/G as the Greenspeed ones, that are fairly easy to ride on 2 wheels! Good luck with "Rocket-Trike"!
otherDoc

Yeah she goes alright...well did the batteries are pretty well toast now...i have WON a new SHIMANO DEORE 3 SPEED SHIFTER This will fit onto the "non-throttle" side of the handle bars (left side) the 7 speeds go on the right side (throttle side) figured i only need 3 gears anywayz and changing with the left hand would be shit load easier than fiddling with the throttle AND the gear change...SO i now have a Shimano Deore XT derailleur and shifter hopefully my gear changing woes will now be over LoL...Hope to do some work on the trike tomorrow the weather is meant to be a lil cooler tomorrow...see how she goes. Might have some pruuurty pics of a freshly painted trike next post or so... :)

Cheers Doc ;)

Kim

Aprrentice Gangsta 8)

I read this entire thread last night.

I'm hugely impressed! Fantastic work! Great work on both trikes you built. I'm very very impressed!

Major bummer about the motorcycle crash crushing your pelvis. If you are going to be stuck in wheel chair for a while, you gotta build something like a dual 5405 crystalite hub motor propelled wheelchair running off 100v of lipo. Heck, I would just pretend to have bad legs just to get to cruise it around indoors everywhere. :p 8) :lol:

Great to have you on the forum!

Best Wishes,
-Luke

Can't wait to see the completed trike! Are you painting it yourself? I got an idea for your "hybrid" trike.
I live in Southern California, so I know how hot it gets there. Why don't you hook up an electric water pump to a bottle of water (small chrome fire extinguisher) with a line running up to the handlebar, put a mister nozzle on the end, and badda-bing! You can cool off at the flip of a switch. OK, maybe still get ICE motor too for range, but now you can concentrate on creature comforts.

liveforphysics said:
I read this entire thread last night.

I'm hugely impressed! Fantastic work! Great work on both trikes you built. I'm very very impressed!

Major bummer about the motorcycle crash crushing your pelvis. If you are going to be stuck in wheel chair for a while, you gotta build something like a dual 5405 crystalite hub motor propelled wheelchair running off 100v of lipo. Heck, I would just pretend to have bad legs just to get to cruise it around indoors everywhere. :p 8) :lol:

Great to have you on the forum!

Best Wishes,
-Luke

Cheers Luke ... i have actually been in a wheelchair since the accident (1991..tiz a permanent affair i'm afraid..) I have steered away from electrifying a chair, to me its a lil like admitting i am totally knackered LoL...Would definitely take exception to a dual 5405 crystalite setup though HOWEVER.. i dont think i would be insane enough to sit in it LOL...maybe we could get Methods to be the initial 'test pilot' by all accounts 'fear' isn't in his vocabulary and he seems more than willing to give things a shot when suggested LoL...

Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to have a read through the worklog, tiz a bit of a task now starting to get lil long LoL...

etard said:
Can't wait to see the completed trike! Are you painting it yourself?

Yes buddy i have been ... i was going to have it powedercoated but seeing there is still "improvements" to be made would be a bit pointless getting it done now THAT and the amount of times i have now stripped this trike down and re-assembled i simply can't be bothered in this heat...when summer is over some serious work will resume on the trike for now a splash of black paint to 'tidy it up' and stop the welds rusting is the extent of things :) ... so yeah i have a compressor and spray gun and have done a bit of painting (my brother is actually a spray painter by trade and has taught me alot) The paint job wont be anything oober fancy as in the long run it will get a powdercoat.

etard said:
why don't you hook up an electric water pump to a bottle of water (small chrome fire extinguisher) with a line running up to the handlebar, put a mister nozzle on the end, and badda-bing!

ROFL...well thats one i haven't heard haha... I think i will still stick with the ICE motor, i had thought about making or 'lining' rather, the tray of the trike with solar panels (actually met a local on a bent trike with solar panels on) after talking to him at the local hardware for 40 or so minutes i dismissed the idea, the size of the panels V's the charge they put back V's the weight V's the poxy look simply isn't worth it IMO.

Cheers for the input etard keeps them ideas coming buddy hehehe ...

KiM

Apprentice Gangsta 8)

Back