ebay kit from sun-thing28, it's a good choice for begginers?

stealth

10 µW
Well, i loved the HS3540 kit at ebikes.ca but i cant afford 380 dollars of shipping + custom tax (60% of the product).
I looked in alot of sites trying to find low shipping but with no luck.
The only thing that is left for me is a kit at ebay.

this is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-1000w-Electric-Bicycle-Kits-Brushless-Hub-Motor-R-/130558068098?pt=AU_Scooters&hash=item1e65de0582

is the only seller i can buy because it can ship to my country, and the shipping cost is only 100 dollars.

Now i need you guys to JUDGE. :mrgreen:

Is IT a good choice for me?
I'm a begginer, this will be my first kit, and i'm planning to use this with ping batteries (maybe 36v 10ah or 48v 10ah).

Worth it or not??
Its crap?, Its Usable?, Its normal?, Its Reliable?, It have a brand?, will at least work for 2 years?
I'm 60 KG, and sometimes i will carry someone (so +60kg).

If you know this kit or this type of kits tell me what you think...
If you dont know the kit, tell me what you think anyway. The opinion of endless-sphere members are worthy.

Thanks in advance.

thank you for the answer yopappamon, i really agree with you.
But i only have this choice now (this seller), what you think about the KIT itself, the build quality, the reliability.

Will this kit be comparable with Crystalyte or 9 Continents, in terms of reliability, build quality, and power.
Maybe it have 25% less power than a crystalyte (i dont know).
help me guys.

Thank you all.

yopappamon said:
What country are you in, Stealth?
Really. What country are you in? It would make things so much easier to respond with relevant data if everyone would go to their profile and enter their location.

Hey Wesnewell, i answered the question before your reply, and about 20 minutes after your reply, i added my location in the settings, but since that day (4 days ago) nobody answered me nothing.. :(

So.... What you guys think about the kit itself?? Its usable? or do you guys highly recommend 9C or crystalyte?

EVERYONE FEEL FREE to make some comment, what do you guys think about the kit.

Will this kit work OK with cycle analyst???? Ex: Can i use Cycle analyst to limit the current of controller from 20 A to 10 A??

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I would tell you to STAY AWAY from ebay and instead buy ebike kits vendor that provide good solid support if you are having problem with the kit.

I suggest contact with Justin at http://www.ebikes.ca, He might able help you and I am not sure if Justin offer sell the kit for the international shipping. He might refer you to someone that able send you the kit through the international shipping or some vendors in Brazil would save your money on shipping costs.

*edited* The CycleAnalyst can able limit on ampere or limit the speed. CA is pretty much recommend as must have!

9C 9x7 motor is pretty solid reliable from Ebikekit or some 3rd vendors with excellent reputation. I also have a crystalyte HS35 motor. I cant give review on my HS35 motor because I have not mount on my ebike yet.

Thank you for your reply Chroot, at ebikes.ca they can do shipping to Brazil but the cost of the shipping is aproximately 380 Dollars for the HS3540 kit. :shock: .
Just think that i have to pay aproximatedly 600 Dollars for the kit + 380 Dollars for shipping + 60 Percent of the value for the Customs and maybe if the Item go with Courier (like TNT or others) i have to pay + 18 percent and other small taxes.
I emailed justin at ebikes.ca to ask for better (Cheaper) shipping but at the moment he is not able to support other type of shipping, so i looked on ebay, but.. if you are saying to stay away from kits at ebay... well i will listen to you.

Well.. i dont know what to do right now... here in my country they dont have quality components like crystalyte or 9C motors and the Chemistry of batteries are normally SLA, i want for shure lifepo4 from pingbattery because of the feedback here on forums.

Maybe i dont understood it right... I know that cycle Analyst can limit speed and ampere but Cycle analyst can do it on ANY Motor/Controller??? I mean any brand of motor any brand of controller??

Because you live in Brasil, and the shipping is just ridiculous (too expensive) from EBIKES.CA
I think you should take a chance with that Ebay kit. It will cost 318$, shipped. pretty good. Later you can upgrade the controller.
Be careful with the throttle, that kind with the battery gauge on it has 4 pins and one pin carries the full voltage of the battery, they can get wet and fail - fail = Full throttle.

I vote you get the kit and a ping 48 volt 15 amphour.

wow that's lot money on shipping. I checked from my area near San Francisco, California (US) to Brazil and sure enough expensive international shipping 210 US Dollars. I bummed. I don't think I have ever see anyone who is member of ES from Brazil.

To answer your question on CA, The CA itself can do limit ampere or speed on ANY kind motors as long as the most important is the controller must have the CA connector pigtail wire interface. Justin @ ebikes.ca controller or LYEN controller (viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17683), Both 2 controllers can interface with the CA because it comes with the CA support.

I wish I could help you more but the shipping rate is ridiculous. :(

Seems pretty difficult getting these things shipped to Brasil, the ebay sellers I've used before don't ship there.

Regarding the hub motor that you linked to.... the motor itself looks pretty sound however for that price it's probably a shitty single wall rim
with poor quality spokes and quite possibly will arrive "out of true" with loose spokes. If you have the capability to address these minor spoke/wheel issues then you will probably end up with a reliable motor.

I'm pretty sure that the cycle analyst can be used on any motor/controller, you would just need to get the "stand alone" model.
Here's a quote from the sales page :
"Stand Alone Model: Stand Alone Model (CA-SA): The stand-alone Cycle Analyst comes pre-calibrated to a molded shunt resistor capable of handling 45 amps continuous and up to 100 amps peak. It is designed to be compatible with virtually all types of Personal Electric Vehicles (PEVs). A pair of pigtail leads on either side of the shunt simply connect between the vehicle's battery pack and motor controller. Speed is detected via a spoke magnet and sensor cable. "

http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml ............................. check it out.

One more thing, if you do get that kit, you'll need a torque arm.

I've bought all my hub kits from yescomusa,com. I' have no idea about the Sun-Thing kits. I don't know if yescomusa ships to Brazil. Check ebay under gas scooters. That's where the list them on ebay for some reason.
http://www.yescomusa.com/home.php?cat=48
http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=1000w&_sacat=75211&_odkw=&_osacat=75211&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Yes you can use a stand alone CA, BUT it will not limit speed or amps.
the ebay seller is in china, Have you contacted Cell_man. He sells kits. If you are buying a Ping batt, he's in china too.
So do most China sellers ban Brazil?

As posted earlier, you won't know what you are getting till you get it and then it's great or too late.

Ask Cell+man.

Dan

Cellman if possible, for sure.

I get really bothered by many of these china based sellers on ebay. I have no doubt they will sell you something resembling a kit with something resembling the specifications in the ad. But often, and in this case too, the ad shows about 4 different kinds of motors in various pictures. They may actually send you one that looks like the main picture at the top. That one doesn't externally resemble motors most of us are familiar with.

In any case, once you buy, we are the support. You won't get any from those ebayers. You would get email support from cellman, he's not a drop shipper like most of the kit ebay sellers. Those drop shippers can be clueless whether they sell brushed motors or brushless. Forget troubleshooting from them. Any time you buy shipped from china, it's a risk. They don't always test stuff before shiping, and even the factory may sell stuff known to be defective. You may be able to ship it back for replacement, but shipping even a small controller may be too costly to be worth it. These ebayers know it, and may ship out returned defects to places like Brazil on purpose. So you end up just eating the item and buying more stuff, taking the same risk. A vendor like Ebikes CA, often actually tests stuff before sending it out which is great. But it's true, crossing too many borders makes shipping crazy high cost.

The reason you got slow response here is you posted in a review section. I spend hours a day on ES, but seldom look at the review section daily. Ask questions in the ebike general section or the ebike technical section and you get a much faster response. The review section is for when you get the kit, and post your experince with it. It's a good place for you to read now, but a bad place for you to ask questions. Lastly, since this sellers kit looks unfamiliar, many may have looked and not bothered to post, I dont know.

EDITED 10/3/11:

First i would like to thank all people that answered me :mrgreen: , for the great support i'm getting here, you guys are great, i have no words to express my gratitude, i never seen a forum with so much quality members :D . I would like to say sorry because i am late to answer to the topic (because i'm in a hurry these days). About the topic being in the wrong section as Dogman have pointed out, i'm just have to apologize :oops: , because i saw some topics here in this section that was asking about some info on kit that they Haven't buyed yet, so i thought that this was the right section (sorry Dogman).

I have some good news to us because i found that the shipping price at e-bikekit.com is fairly cheap, i can buy the 2011 (NEW/Redesigned) kit Direct Drive REAR 26 inch wheel (NO BATTERIES) for 442,00 USD and the shipping will cost me only 121,00 USD :mrgreen: That's very fair for me. And Cell_man offer a decent DD motor that is relatively cheap to get shipped.

You guys can close the topic, i already got the info i needed.

Thank you all for the great support given.

Back