edit....Ok to delete

waynebergman

100 kW
idea 37k.jpgI have been thinking it would be cool if there was a product out there for sale that was in effect like a bolt on "mid section kit" containing batteries, controller & the CA. What I am thinking is an aluminum box construction say out of 1/8th " wall thickness represented in the drawing in red. If it could hold say 72 volts of 18650 and around 20ah, this would be in the voltage range that most folks struggle with to load up this kind of weight onto a bike cleanly. Also if all the wires were inside the box that contained a controller, batteries and a CA (with a read out display up close to the head tube) it would sort out a lot of the messy wires and water proofing issues one goes through with a custom build. There would only need to be external plug ins for throttle connector , phase and hall sensor wires. It could be easier to ship and a lot cheaper than a whole production bike. Also a person could use the bike of there choice to customize.

I am picturing a separate set of aluminum plates that could be supplied along with a "mid section kit" like this, and these plates could be welded onto what is left of your bike frame when you cut out the mid span of your front triangle represented in the bike frame sketch between the red parallel lines. No turning back now! These 1/4" aluminum plates could be pre fitted with rivnuts or fasteners by the supplier of the kit to bolt on the "mid section kit" after the plates have been tig welded onto your cut apart frame ( aluminum frames only of course ). Not sure if a generic set of plates made from 6061 would work to weld onto most aluminum frames out there on not?

So when completed the "mid section kit" could be unbolted from the two sections of your bicycle frame for ease of transport or for easily attaching and or separating this electric component. It could be nice if on a road trip to bring the "mid section kit" into your accommodation for charging with out lugging the bike along to your room.

So you would obviously end up lengthening your wheel base of course with this "mid section kit"as the "mid section kit" would most likely be longer than the pieces you cut out of the frame, but I think this is desired anyways with a 72 volt system on most MTB frames. The rake on your forks may steepen a bit because of having the parallel ends to the "mid section kit" being longer than the original parts removed so then a smaller rear wheel may also be in the cards to bring things back to your normal head tube angles for a simple rake adjustment.

Thought I would throw this out there for comments to see if this would be something that people feel there would be a demand for.

What I can see as a bonus with such a kit is the fabrication duties would be to just chop your frame and then have an experienced tig welder weld up the kit plates supplied onto these two sections of your frame and then you bolt on the "mid section kit" onto these plates instead of a total full on chop and weld fabrication like many have done for fitting in extra batteries.

I have some simple fabrication tools and skills but short on the electric knowledge so this is not something I plan to make but just curious what people think, if it would be something that would have a following.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around all the different dual suspension config's MTB's out there.. And How this could build a following with such restrictions.

For the mid section to be removable and still have any sort of convenience.. You would have to have a Frame that the box would fit into.. Other wise you'd have front fork section and rear end lying about.

Admittedly a 3 sectional bike would be easier to get into a hotel room. But I'm thinking PITA to do all that. And then assemble it again before riding.

But having just the "Add" on frame section with removable box combo. Now THAT I could see taking off.

More people would have old forks, handlebars, BB's, nicK nak's, and paddy wacks laying about that such a box/frame combo would scream "project!!" into their very soul.

You'd probably have more people wanting one just to put their "cast offs" to use, then people purchasing one to convert a current bike.

I think it's a good idea to do on your bike as a one-off. I think there are far too many variables for it to be a good idea to try and offer it as a "one size fits all" commercial product.

Gday wayne,to many variables to mention but,im guessing 2-10 builds could use it? maybe a thin wall metal box that you could move height top like a lid with slider cutouts and rounded heads inside box? ive messed about with this idea 5 years ago with plastic it got very frustrating :lol: ....Mark

Ok thanks guys, I think you are right. I will retitle the thread OK to delete.

Well, it's ES history now. But you can delete or at least edit your original post if you really want to.

Who knows? Maybe your idea will spawn another. So I won't delete it.

Back