Election Map

dogman dan

1 PW
Does it seem to anybody else that the blue states map is close to a map of where smart people live? Coastal cities, and other population centers where smart people congregate.

Hmm, then how did my home state of New Mexico get on the map? Most of those smart folks working at the A bomb labs and such are pure republicans.

Or is it just that the red states is a map of where old fashioned people live? If so, then why is new mexico blue? We are always living 20 years in the past in this state.

Not blue enough though, the man said to be the most corrupt congressman in washington just handily beat my step mom. Oh well, so much for Obama coattails.

Kinda suprised Colorado went blue. That's a pretty gun lover state too. And gun lovers do tend to vote republican.

dogman said:
Does it seem to anybody else that the blue states map is close to a map of where smart people live? Coastal cities, and other population centers where smart people congregate.....

That's the most frocking offensive thing I've ever seen anyone post on ES.

You know, I was talking to my brother yesterday about the whole voter/election game, electoral college and all that bs. Anyway, midway through our discusion I proposed a reform of voter policy:

1) Voter registration is done via check box on your tax return. No return, no vote. Taxation without representation should be Taxation:=Representation;

2) During voting, the first process of casting your vote consists of a quiz. You get 10 randomnly selected multiple choice questions about our government structure, current political issues, economical issues, foreign policy etc. Not opinionated questions, just cut and dry facts. For every question you get right, you get one point. Every question you get wrong, you lose one point.

After the test, you cast your votes. Now, for every point you earned in your test, you've earned extra votes for your choices. A perfect score gets 11 votes. If your the type of person that ends up in those 'Hey I'm a moron' clips on the Jay Leno show, you get only one vote.

Yes dogman, it's really that cut and dry. :lol:

neptronix said:
Yes dogman, it's really that cut and dry. :lol:
CNN Election Exit Polls

I thought the results were pretty telling. Coastal Urban centers (confluence of multi-cultures), progressive young people socially connected, women in general, ideology, education, lower-middle income, and non-religious all contributed to The Win.

So – for the one specific observation mentioned it makes sense that people with educated open minds wherever they congregate are going to vote more liberal than the rest by some percentage.

New Mexico is home to various intellectual activities, both artistic, cultural, and technical – as well as having a large Hispanic concentration. Colorado has been going that way as well. I don’t understand why Arizona is so red though. Based on the last results, Texas, Montana, North Carolina are next to flip to blue… maybe 4-8 years from now.

I just find it interesting that (presuming Florida goes blue) Obama took all the swing states.

Perhaps as the rural center of the Country becomes more connected, it is with hope that fears and hates will reduce as diverse peoples learn to better communicate and share.

~KF

O lost NC. Almost a sweep.

I'ts prolly more about diversity, than "smartness"... large metros have large schools & enterprise, large schools & enterprise draw from all around.

Edit: Data on Jackson bad.

John in CR said:
dogman said:
Does it seem to anybody else that the blue states map is close to a map of where smart people live? Coastal cities, and other population centers where smart people congregate.....

You must not read Chalo's posts. :wink:

dogman said:
Does it seem to anybody else that the blue states map is close to a map of where smart people live? Coastal cities, and other population centers where smart people congregate.

Hmm, then how did my home state of New Mexico get on the map?

Does New Mexico have a large population of Latino/Hispanics?

I don't know if intelligence has anything to do with it.

You would wonder though what is wrong with those who voted for someone who wears magic underpants to ward off evil from invading his crotch? That is the hallmark of a conformist nut who hasn't developed enough insight to question such obvious stupidity and clearly is unfit to be a leader of a country.

Joseph C. said:
You would wonder though what is wrong with those who voted for someone who wears magic underpants to ward off evil from invading his crotch?
They happen to be VERY comfortable... that's the magic.

Well, I was hoping this thread would be bansih to the cesspool worthy.

Kinda mad that pig Steve Pierce is going back to congress instead of my stepmom. So not my usual self this day. He really is the poster boy for "for sale to the highest bidding oil company". The republicans main agenda in this state besides self deportation, is to get back the rights to dump any kind of puke from a drill rig in an open pit, then drive away forever.

Are these some of the great Citizens of Intelligentsia you are referring too??

[youtube]tpAOwJvTOio[/youtube]

[youtube]QSNthmabllE[/youtube]

I always love how liberals try to paint themselves as all educated, informed, elites, but the real story is without voters like that in the liberal coalition they couldn't win a race for dog catcher.

True story. :wink:

I assume your comment is somewhat directed at me, StudEbiker. If so - I regret to inform you that I am not liberal.

I am a social liberal and there is a huge difference between the two.

What you consider to be conservative is far closer to liberalism than conservatism. And considering you use an electric bike and engage with the modern world you fall into the liberal category.

If you actually want to understand why your election prediction was so far removed from reality - http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/11/how-conservative-media-lost-to-the-msm-and-failed-the-rank-and-file/264855/ this is a good place to start.

You weren't even on my radar with that comment Joe. Do you even vote in US elections?

P.S.

That article was a good chuckle. Yeah, the conservative media failed us. What a laffer!! It is the MSM that was like a king size blanket on a futon covering for Obam. that's the only reason he was able to get elected. Look at the people in that second video I posted, that's the kind of "informed" voter produced by watching the MSM.

StudEbiker said:
That article was a good chuckle. Yeah, the conservative media failed us. What a laffer!! It is the MSM that was like a king size blanket on a futon covering for Obam. that's the only reason he was able to get elected. Look at the people in that second video I posted, that's the kind of "informed" voter produced by watching the MSM.

When I saw that Atlantic article, I immediately thought of you StudEbiker, because the things you post on here have been so far removed from reality. You're the poster-child for the deluded masses on which the Republicans have based their recent electoral successes. The thing is, those days are over. There are no longer enough of you to consistently win nation-wide office. Pissed-off old white people are not reproducing in sufficient numbers. You're a dying breed. You will continue to shrink as a portion of the U.S. population for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, I am pleased to inform you that the Republican party has run into a demographic brick wall. Expect to see many more token blacks and latinos at staged GOP events in the future.

As for your videos, there are a lot of ill-informed people who voted for both sides. Google "moron at Romney rally" and I'm sure you'll find some countervailing examples. Dogman's original point is that regions with higher levels of education went for Obama. That is demonstrably true. The polling has shown that correlation throughout this election cycle, and many cycles before this. It is just one more fact that you are free to ignore.

My counter point of those areas are the areas of higher crime, worse schools, and higher percentage of welfare recipients is also true.

You may have a point that the era of conservative Republicans may be over in this country, but that doesn't make you right. Sorry, it doesn't. All it means is that you've successfully achieved a coalition of morons, welfare recipients, and elitists to consistently win elections. Bully for you. :roll:

Enjoy it while you can.

Checking out of the political talk for awhile guys. Have a good party. :lol:

I can't understand why people voted for four more years of Bush.

Apparently, according to Obama, the first four years were Bush's fault. And I'm betting, the next four years will be Bush's fault too. :D

FWIW, Obama has been the most gun friendly president in recent history. He receives all "Fs" from anti-gun groups.

I noticed the difference driving from texas to california. As soon as you leave New Mexico and enter Arizona, there is a drastic cultural and economic shift.

That's true. AZ just doesn't have the centuries of spanish culture that NM got. Mean Apaches, and more importantly no Rio Grande river back in 1600. For sure it makes AZ very different. More white only in some of the small towns.

You better notice the difference in traffic cops. Much of NM drive any speed you like. Not in AZ.

There's plenty of dumb democrats, plenty of dumb people live in the coastal cities. I know loads of very very smart repubilcans in my state. Just about 95% of my balloon pilot friends are full on republicans, work at the govt labs most of them, usually veterans. Brillaint for real rocket scientists, and full on republicans.

I also know some darn intelligent tea party types too. I can only chalk that one up to peoples tendency to join a cult. They are often just simply anti all govt. They can't understand laws against selling AK 47's to the mexican drug cartels, can't understand why running a red light isn't a "right", they just don't get it that some rules have to be there to prevent total chaos. They hate the govt, yet are the first to call in the codes enforcement if you are the neighbor that didn't mow the lawn or has a car that doesn't run in the driveway. They bitch like hell that the road is full of potholes, then bitch more if the orange barrels block the road during reconstruction. Basicly, everything and everybody pisses em off no matter what it is. Anything that ever happens is the govt or something persecuting them, and nothing bad that ever happens can have a blame that traces to thier own behavior. They love junk science, but only if it supports thier preconceptions.

But they are not dumb at all, just convinced they know what's right since they can never ever be wrong. Anyway, I just thought that map of states that went blue and red looked wierder than ever this time.

John in CR said:
dogman said:

Taking offense is your personal choice. What he said was true. Truth is not a matter of your choice.

I live in Austin, which is by a huge margin the smartest and bluest dot in the mostly stupid red heap that is Texas.

When your party's politics demand that people accept ideas that make no rational sense, you wind up appealing mostly to dumbasses. Thus places like Mississippi and Nebraska trend Republican.

I think there has always been a trend, perhaps going back to Egypt, for the really really smartest people to head for the biggest city and then prosper.

But it's quite possible also, to head to the small town or frontier, and be the smartest person for miles around. That was the deal as the frontier was settled by europeans in the US for centuries. But now it's going the other way. Kids see dad's farm making less and less every year, and go get an engineering degree.

You don't have to be dumb to just want things to stay the same as they are, if you are comfortable a the time. That's what the red states really want I think. But it did make a funny looking map this time.

Are those maps from a proper source, Tyler?

I find it hard to reconcile those images with the fact that Obama had a larger number of votes. Does gerrymandering occur much in the U.S.? Looking at that map I would imagine it is rampant.

Back