Electric assisted street legal two-seater cabin bicycle

ecocar

100 µW
Hello, I'm new of this forum. I'm from Italy (so excuse my bad English...).
In the last years I've worked on a cabin bicycle (trike) with pedal assist system according to European pedelec law. It's an utility vehicle (not sport).
Now I'm thinking about producing and selling it, but I would like to understand if it's a possible useful thing or only a dream of mine...
This tricycle is designed to replace bicycles and mopeds (in many cases even the car) in small movements, allowing you to have a good comfort even in case of heavy rain and cold weather, traveling in normal clothes without getting wet and dirty and without sweating with the help of the electric motor. It has the advantage of an enclosed space behind the driver suitable as luggage or carry an adult passenger (inconvenient if high) or a child. The body is completely closed from the left side to protect from splashing water of the other car in the event of rain,it is open below to allow the use of the feet to propel the vehicle in reverse (as a motorcycle) and partially open on the right side to allow easy access and ventilation. All this without license or driving license, road tax, insurance, payment of parking and petrol ... economic, practical and environmentally friendly.
Here some short videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKDzj79_pWQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXILXoK-_s0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU_WAyQNpDo (note the child in the back seat :D )
Here there is a topic on a Italian e-bike forum (good for see some pictures): http://www.jobike.it/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15998
Here some technical data:
The prototype is the "heavy"version with lead acid batteries and two engines: tandem tricycle, steel frame, square tube (section 30mm) and roll bar cage (section 20mm and 12 mm). Amortized rear suspension, front fork suspension, 20 "wheels. Plexyglass and aluminum sheet cover. Dimensions (cm): length 223, width 82, height 117, wheel base 173. Approximate weight 120 kg (base vehicle50+ engines 20 + lead-acid batteries 50). Motor 1: rear hub nine continent 36v 250w operated with PAS limited to 25 km / h (legal). Motor 2 (to be used only in private areas): rear hub nine continent 48v 1350W operated with thumb throttle (max speed 45 km / h). 4x12v Batteries 45 Ah (total theoretical capacity 2160wh). Gearbox 5-speed. V-brakes on all three wheels (provisional as insufficient for the weight of the vehicle will be replaced with hydraulic disc brakes).
Autonomy plan without contribution muscle (by the only movement to operate the PAS) using the motor 250w: 150 Km (80 km recommended not to download too much lead-acid batteries by reducing the cycles of use and useful life). With the use of both engines go up strong climbs.
It has a 160w electric heater to warm the passenger compartment and defrost the windshield and a 12v cigarette lighter socket for accessories (navigation, radio, etc..).
The roof has an area of ​​0.5 square meters suitable for installation of solar cells for about 50Wp (give energy to walk 5 km per hour of exposure to sunlight).

The "light" version (forthcoming) is easier with a single motor, 36v 10Ah LiFePO4 batteries and a few differences compared to "heavy" weight halved (total about 65 kg), motor 1: nine continent hub rear 36v 250w operated with PAS limited to 25 km / h, Autonomy 35 km (expandable battery packs with higher capacity, accounting for about 300 euros and 5 kg for other 35 km of extra autonomy ). The devices are not available in 12v (heater and cigarette lighter). Not recommended for strong climbs. The batteries can be easily removed to be charged into the house while the vehicle is parked on the street (recommended a car alarm). Can be easily parked even vertically on a surface of cm117x82 (on a bike rack for motorhome there they would be two). The idea is to be able to sell this trike around 2500 or 3000 euros.

Attachments

• 100_0934 (2).png
    100_0934 (2).png
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,249
  • 100_0921 (2).png
    100_0921 (2).png
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,249
Welcome to ES.
I like your trike! Very clean and practical.
I would love to see more info about it: What's the drag coefficient? Frontal area? What's the energy consumption (wh/km) at 25km/h on flat ground? What's amortized suspension?

- 20kg is quite heavy for a 9C. A 9C hub motor is definitely not that heavy, not even half of that. Never mind. I just looked at the forum and realized you use two of them.

This looks like a very nice product. How does it handle in the curves? Narrow units are sometimes tippy.

Have you considered shipping options, perhaps as a kit? The customer could bolt it together and supply their own batteries and even the motor/controller.

It is defiantly a good looking machine. Nice job on the style!
I could use one now. It is cold and rainy here at the moment.
Looks like it would be very useful for many people. :D

SamTexas said:
Welcome to ES.
I like your trike! Very clean and practical.
I would love to see more info about it: What's the drag coefficient? Frontal area? What's the energy consumption (wh/km) at 25km/h on flat ground? What's amortized suspension?

- 20kg is quite heavy for a 9C. A 9C hub motor is definitely not that heavy, not even half of that. Never mind. I just looked at the forum and realized you use two of them.

Thanks. The drag coefficient it isn't really good because of the open right side for enter in the vehicle(in the countries where cars drive on left side the open side must be the left one) and the vertically flat zone near the front weel. Frontal area is 0.85 m2. Not so good for sport but enough for everyday use... At 25 km/h I use about 250 wh (my weight is 65 kg) using normal city tires at 3.5 bar. Using the 1350w motor at 30 km/h it is 350wh (more or less).
This prototype has a basic equipment, the suspension are normally front amortized fork from a 20" city bike, next prototype will have a RST Capa suspension fork according to install a disk break. In the rear there are two independent suspensions with normal shock absorber without hydraulic damping. If won't be a budget problem the next will have a hydraulic or gas damping. I'm trying to find the right balance between costs and utility... :roll:

By "amortized" do you mean Anodized?

Kent said:
This looks like a very nice product. How does it handle in the curves? Narrow units are sometimes tippy.

Have you considered shipping options, perhaps as a kit? The customer could bolt it together and supply their own batteries and even the motor/controller.

Despite being a trike (never good idea for handling...), has more tendency to skidding than rolling, probably because of the 52 kg of lead batteries positioned between the rear wheels in low position. Some time I like to make small drifting :mrgreen: ... with the previous prototype with rear 26" wheels the guide was difficult and dangerous (very tilting!)
However, I consider the new version with 20" wheels good for normal use (but bicycles turn faster).
For now, the development of the project is not yet complete. At the time of marketing I must think about shipping because in Italy it isn't a very popular type of vehicle. Probably I will sell it also as incomplete kit (I will sell only what the client needs). It 's cheaper to send only specific components and leave the customer the choice of the normal bike components and motor kits.

ecocar said:
At 25 km/h I use about 250 wh (my weight is 65 kg) using normal city tires at 3.5 bar. Using the 1350w motor at 30 km/h it is 350wh (more or less)... I'm trying to find the right balance between costs and utility... :roll:
I assume you meant 250W at 25kph and 350W at 30kph. If that's the case then the energy consumption is not bad, not at all for a trike.

Since you're designing for the European market where the limit is 25km/h, you might want to consider using only one motor on front. The 9C 2810 in 20" wheel running at 48V will have plenty of torque and speed for your trike. Might not be able to climb a 10% grade with snow due to lack of traction though. But then it might be ok if you're also pedalling. Of course you'd have to use a strong steel fork. But that will bring the cost down significantly (one motor and one controller less) and would be more in line with your "cost versus utility" balance goal.

Kirk said:
By "amortized" do you mean Anodized?

I'm sorry, i don't speak good english :oops: ... I means only that the wheels are not fix on the chassis (in italian is "ammortizzate"), but they have a suspension. Now the front fork is made by steel (not aluminum).

SamTexas said:
ecocar said:
At 25 km/h I use about 250 wh (my weight is 65 kg) using normal city tires at 3.5 bar. Using the 1350w motor at 30 km/h it is 350wh (more or less)... I'm trying to find the right balance between costs and utility... :roll:
I assume you meant 250W at 25kph and 350W at 30kph. If that's the case then the energy consumption is not bad, not at all for a trike.

Since you're designing for the European market where the limit is 25km/h, you might want to consider using only one motor on front. The 9C 2810 in 20" wheel running at 48V will have plenty of torque and speed for your trike. Might not be able to climb a 10% grade with snow due to lack of traction though. But then it might be ok if you're also pedalling. Of course you'd have to use a strong steel fork. But that will bring the cost down significantly (one motor and one controller less) and would be more in line with your "cost versus utility" balance goal.

Yes, 25 and 30 kph. For city use a front motor will be the best choice. A good thing of hub kits is that costumers can choose where to put it according to their needs. I prefer rear motors only because I live in mountain, so I need strong traction (the weight on front wheel is really small) when I use the 1350W motor to climb (in this case it's not legal, but... necessary :lol:) . For a while I have used only one rear motor on the right wheel (left wheel is powered by pedal), and it' also worked well, but it wasn't nice looking (two different kinds of wheel).

Nice job ecocar! I am looking for something practical that does not sit low like a velomobile but is enclosed. If you can make this much cheaper than the twike and at the same time make it reliable and sturdy, then I think you would have an exceptional product.

Blueshift said:
Nice job ecocar! I am looking for something practical that does not sit low like a velomobile but is enclosed. If you can make this much cheaper than the twike and at the same time make it reliable and sturdy, then I think you would have an exceptional product.

Thanks. About the price, my trike will be really cheaper then Twike! Between 2500 and 3000 euros, but the Twike is a different thing: it's bigger, faster, more refined, it's a better product. Twike is like a cabin motorcycle, my trike is only a cabin bicycle with electric pedal assistance (25 Kph for European pedelec law, but can go 45 Kph without pedals, only by changing the controller). However, surely it's easier to get in my trike and sit (the position of the driver is the same of a normal sport car).

Back