ELECTRIC TRANSMISSION DELTA /WYE and SERIE/PAPALLEL stator

ok did the test just before i got stoped at a lite. i cant stop smiling :). doc its just what your looking for if you want that speed record. i got 54mph and it was only a block :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GHdr0bJ1s

enjoy i will try to make a better one later tonight.

sorry about the potty mouth in the vid the delta kicking in has a weird feeling.

cheers

The pottymouth makes the vid even better.

Friggin awesome.

karma said:
ok i ran the last test. sustained speed was 57.82mph. at 70v 28amps with a old goldenmotor :mrgreen: .

Karma.. Please post a true vid showing that 57mph.. we still have no proof :|

Thanks for the demo, but i think wi still need more proof of your speed acuracy

OK you said 70V 28A right... ? that's 1960W

and with every great statistics about speed vs power on a mtb, your close to 2000W only allow a max speed of: 70km/h that is around 43mph... not 57 !!

To be able to reach 57mph YOU MUST have around 4500W

Physics laws.. unless you have a trike with perfect aerodynamic shape.

Please can you verify the real speed you get?

Doc

I tried ti increase the contrast of your video Karma and i realized that the max speed you have done is closer to 35-40mph.

The 57mph i believe from now is the one Steveo did with 133VDC

[youtube]PDzj2zosU2M[/youtube]

Doc

Regardless of the actual speed, that point getting lost here is it works!. :mrgreen:

What we need now is for the clever EEs here to tell us how we might be able to create an electronic version of Doc's massive contactor. :wink:

-- Gary

GGoodrum said:
Regardless of the actual speed, that point getting lost here is it works!. :mrgreen:

What we need now is for the clever EEs here to tell us how we might be able to create an electronic version of Doc's massive contactor. :wink:

-- Gary
It's very possible I'm missing something here but since it's AC that's being switched then the 3PDT relay wouldn't need to be that hefty to work well for most systems up to say 50A, would it? I agree a soild state solution would be great.

Excellent work Doc and karma.

Great news!

Update 10 april 2009

Yesterday, after few hours of hard work, i finally tested it!! ON A BIKE... ON A ROAD :mrgreen:

DELTA is AMAZING.. :twisted: but i had problem with the controller that dont want to go high current :( But I suspect that this problem is independent to the delta star mode add-on.

First, what i have to say: Switching to delta mode is EXACTLY like a TURBO mode :twisted:

It's like shifting gear but without the mecanical loss !!

It was Really amazing!!!

I started with 2 of my 4 packs of Konions for a total of 44.4V nominal and 50.4V ffresh of the charger (23Ah)

The total bike weight was around 60lbs (i used my old TREK 970)

I used one ecrazyman controller 12 mosfets that i upgraded to 4110 and all mod it must be done on that controller for high current.

I did a quick ride of around 7km to enjoy.. ( it was cold yesterday night... around 0 degree C)

With the max current problem on the controller the max speed was 33 kph and in STARS....and 56kph in DELTA at 23A on flat.. not as fast as i though with thatr controller problem... but the speed ration is still impressive!!

Having this low current problem on the controller, strangely, the most of the fun i had was in DELTA mode!! acceleration was faster from around 10kmg to max speed in that mode than in the STAR normal mode.. :)

One thing that was strange is that i felt that as the controller warm up, as the current limit decreased to around 37A max..

On the first quick accceleration from a dead stop, the peak amy showed 52A... only for the first 15sec i rided the bike... and then droped strangely to 37A max and i was never able to get back to higher current... the battery voltage only dropped a little bit to around 48.5V..... I think it is impossible that the shunt would have heat up and creating error on the curent limit.. the shunt is very similar to the clyte that i have no problem with up to 90A...

When i started the ride, i did a quick test to ensure that the controller would not blow cause i had not tested the new current limit with the added shunt i installed.

So the max power i was able to acheive with that controller was 1850W.. :( and strangely when i go up hill, the max power at WOT was around 1100W :(

Conclusion.. since the controller seems to have a problem to reach max power, i can not establish true speed results from now...

What is the most important is that we know now that it work great and that the torque it still have in DELTA is enough to create a remarquable speed increase!!

I'll fix the controller and do some more tests :mrgreen:

Also.

I have a Bafang with smoked windings that will get taken apart. Maybe they are wound Wye and we could re-terminate as delta :mrgreen:

I have had so much fun with my bafang on 24s a123 that I would like to try it delta terminated with a 50v controller. It would open up a world of airplane ESCs :!:

Doctorbass said:
Great news!

Update 10 april 2009

Yesterday, after few hours of hard work, i finally tested it!! ON A BIKE... ON A ROAD :mrgreen:

DELTA is AMAZING.. :twisted: but i had problem with the controller that dont want to go high current :( But I suspect that this problem is independent to the delta star mode add-on.

First, what i have to say: Switching to delta mode is EXACTLY like a TURBO mode :twisted:

It's like shifting gear but without the mecanical loss !!

It was Really amazing!!!

I started with 2 of my 4 packs of Konions for a total of 44.4V nominal and 50.4V ffresh of the charger (23Ah)

The total bike weight was around 60lbs (i used my old TREK 970)

I used one ecrazyman controller 12 mosfets that i upgraded to 4110 and all mod it must be done on that controller for high current.

I did a quick ride of around 7km to enjoy.. ( it was cold yesterday night... around 0 degree C)

With the max current problem on the controller the max speed was 33 kph and in STARS....and 56kph in DELTA at 23A on flat.. not as fast as i though with thatr controller problem... but the speed ration is still impressive!!

Having this low current problem on the controller, strangely, the most of the fun i had was in DELTA mode!! acceleration was faster from around 10kmg to max speed in that mode than in the STAR normal mode.. :)

One thing that was strange is that i felt that as the controller warm up, as the current limit decreased to around 37A max..

On the first quick accceleration from a dead stop, the peak amy showed 52A... only for the first 15sec i rided the bike... and then droped strangely to 37A max and i was never able to get back to higher current... the battery voltage only dropped a little bit to around 48.5V..... I think it is impossible that the shunt would have heat up and creating error on the curent limit.. the shunt is very similar to the clyte that i have no problem with up to 90A...

When i started the ride, i did a quick test to ensure that the controller would not blow cause i had not tested the new current limit with the added shunt i installed.

So the max power i was able to acheive with that controller was 1850W.. :( and strangely when i go up hill, the max power at WOT was around 1100W :(

Conclusion.. since the controller seems to have a problem to reach max power, i can not establish true speed results from now...

What is the most important is that we know now that it work great and that the torque it still have in DELTA is enough to create a remarquable speed increase!!

I'll fix the controller and do some more tests :mrgreen:

Also.

im changing my amps to 35. :twisted: motor's not warm anuff.

holmes, if the windings haven't shorted to the stator, you should be able test each winding to see if it shorted internally when you open the star tie point. if you had just one shorted wiring, maybe try to rewind it on that one.

the 9 continent has a large space inside the hub around the stator, and if we can find a source for a smaller plastic body relay with maybe 24V coil and 15A-20A rating, then maybe it could be mounted inside the hub and the relay current could go in alongside the phase wires, since it could be as small as the hall sensor wires for the relay current. maybe make the delta winding the (relay current off) state, and engage star through the relay for acceleration, and turn off at speed.

OK.. guys.. This morning i had blown the high side yellow wire phase of my controller when i abused it for fun from many successive dead stop and WOT in delta mode... and blown ONE 4110 on that 12 fet controller

But.. I was surprized that the other fet paralleled to it did not blown.. so i decided to investigate and finally found that the screw that hold the mosfet on the aluminium bar can unthighten themself!! :shock: :? if they have a little thermal compound on them.. it act as a lubricant and when the fet heat up.. i guess that make the screw to move a bit causing that problem... so that mosfet probably blown due to overheat caused by the unthightened screw...

I will have to watch all them monthly :?

Now i repairede the controlelr and it is sunny day so i'll re install it on the bike and will try to take some video for you :mrgreen:

Doc

OK..

The controller is repaired

The controller is working well..

The battery are charging

Since i did not heat anything from this morning and it's now 16h28 here, it's time to heat some pizza!! :mrgreen:

Than.. i'll step on my ebike and will re-test it and try to film that

i'll keep you informed! :wink:

Doc

johnrobholmes said:
The windings are SMOKED, no saving them.

nice thing about windings that are trully smoked is that they are usually easy to remove. the windings have done the baking step for you all by themselves.

rick

Just got it apart and my hands reek of burned electrics.

The bafang 20mph 36v jobber is a 14 turn 4 strand wind, terminated WYE. The construction is 18 slot 20 pole, wound YyYBbBGgGYyYBbBGgG

Back