• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Electrifying a Longboard vs a Mountain board (w road wheels)

MagiicHat

10 mW
I've been building and riding longboards for almost a decade now, but have never tried a mountain board. (the thread with the Trampa StreetCarver got me thinking...) I'm intrigued because the mountain board trucks look much simpler to machine, which would allow me to create a truck with the motor mount built right in.

Is there an advantage of one over the other? How is the ride/feel? Obviously some have bindings, but that seems over kill on the street/sidewalk. Any reason to go one way over the other?

Hi
Well, I suppose it really depends on what you wish to do.
I tried a set of pneumatic tyres on a longboard and though the ride was indeed nice and smooth and made rough pavements a possibility, it was no longer a skateboard.
I personally took them off again and went back to large (97mm) skate wheels as I wanted an electric skateboard and not an electric vehicle.
With a mountainboard, well it is what it is and will not pretend to be a skateboard.
If you intend to do any off-roading then I would suggest to go the Trampa way. Personally never been on one but I can only imagine they are great fun if that is what you want to do.
If you want a skateboard feeling though stay with the longboards and urethane.
Whichever way you go I hope it is exactly what you want.

I tried riding my brake-board without bindings and it felt super sketchy. I think mountainboard trucks are designed to be tighter than skate trucks to compensate for the extra leaning capability you get out of bindings. I suppose if you're milling your own trucks though, you can make them as loose as you want.

I am a long boarder, avid snow board carver and currently ride a 42" deck with mountain board trucks with springs removed on front truck, no bindings (but am going with bindings on next board) on wide street tires. If you are looking for the hardest carve and steepest lean angles, this is the way to go. I have my board tuned for max lean at about 12 mph for a 16-18' 180 degree turn so its more like a snowboard rather than a skateboard. This larger radius turn keeps you in the lean longer and feels great, but you need a 1 1/2 lane city street to make it work. So not a commuter board.
I also de-wedged the back truck and extended the tips to lower the deck height. I only use Cheng shins on 8 X3.00 which will work with new mbs five star hubs. The mountain board slicks don's last in hard carves and the traction on the Shins is incredible as long as surface is clean. Range sucks but batteries are pretty cheap these days and your not going stealth anyways.
Just ordered the new MBS bushing truck to check it out and will probably go with a flatter MBS comp board with its progressive concave to fit the ball of your foot rather than middle of board.

I attached a link for tires I use so you know what really possible: https://goo.gl/images/PMyWfx
If you just want a smoother ride then mbs slicks are ok and roll over anything, just make sure you lower the deck.

Back