em3ev Super Shark Wake up Battery?

ebikerider2000

100 µW
Hi, I have a em3ev super Shark Battery 52V. I have it fitted inside a triangle case in my bike. The only issue is after about 12hrs of inactivity the battery goes to sleep and the bike is dead. In order to use the bike I need to remove the battery from the case to press the button to wake it up. Is there anyway to stop the battery from going to sleep? Or wake it up via Bluetooth?

PXL-20210311-135206426.jpg

That feature is there to prevent you from killing the battery from parasitic drain.

Not an expert on these batteries but adding a switch you can operate more easily is a good idea.

Adding an external switch would require opening up and disassembling the shark battery which would be a shame since it's been factory silicon sealed. I've seen lots of photos of folk running batteries inside bags, I wonder how other folk mange this problem. Keeping the battery in a bag seems to me like a good way to protect the battery and somewhere to house the DC-DC converter to charge my phone and run my lights.

ebikerider2000 said:
Adding an external switch would require opening up and disassembling the shark battery which would be a shame since it's been factory silicon sealed. I've seen lots of photos of folk running batteries inside bags, I wonder how other folk mange this problem. Keeping the battery in a bag seems to me like a good way to protect the battery and somewhere to house the DC-DC converter to charge my phone and run my lights.

I guess you could cut a hole in the bag so you can access the switch. But if it were me, I'd just use the zipper.

Where is the button? What kind of button is it?

If it's a momentary push switch, you could simply add an external "plunger" of sorts to the outside of the button / case, that can be pushed thru the material of the bag to engage the switch. Add a dot of color to outside of the bag at that spot so you know where to push.

Unfortunately it's a flush mounted push button which is almost impossible to push through the bag. I think if I chop a hole in the bag it will fall apart and allow water in. It's not a major problem, I'll just unzip the bag. It's a bit awkward having to undo all the Velcro straps. I was just curious to hear how other folk mange this issue. Do all batteries go to sleep or is it just the EM3EV sharks?

Not all are smart enough to go to sleep like that. EM3EV's BMSes are actually quite good from what i know in theory from Paul but not in personal experience.

A battery without a momentary switch and some logic on the part of the BMS is liable to be left on and forgot about during a period of disuse.. and there goes your battery due to parasitic drain. Quite a bummer.

ebikerider2000 said:
Unfortunately it's a flush mounted push button which is almost impossible to push through the bag.
I'll repost what I said just before your post, in case you missed it:

If it's a momentary push switch, you could simply add an external "plunger" of sorts to the outside of the button / case, that can be pushed thru the material of the bag to engage the switch. Add a dot of color to outside of the bag at that spot so you know where to push.

Some clarification on this, is that it just means putting something on top of the button itself, on the battery, inside the bag, that can be pushed *thru* the bag easily.

Another way of saying it is to "extend" the flush part of the button so it sticks out enough to push thru the bag.

Is there a source for these plungers? The button itself is recessed under a rubber cover that is more than twice its size.

Regarding water ingress through a hole and bags falling apart... two holes. One smaller in the lowest point of the bag as a drain. And as far as cutting holes in nylon... use heated hole punches (heat gun, gas torch, kitchen stove). Cheapest punches you can find on eBay are good for this. The battery itself is waterproof.

Back