EMS E+ Flex Kit Cabling Notes

billvon

1 MW
I just went through this so I thought I'd post this to potentially save other people the trouble.

The EMS E+ flex kit comes with three cable sets - the brake/throttle cable, the data cable and the power cable.

The brake/throttle cable goes from the throttle to the display. There are two additional switches that get screwed onto the brake levers. There is only one connector on the display that fits the end of this cable, so there's not much opportunity to screw up. The only trouble I had here is that the cable has to be severely contorted to make all the bends required to get to the display on my install, and that puts more stress than I would like on the connectors. I may have to make a special mount for the display to keep it in a better location.

The power cable comes with two ends terminated and the parts to build a Delphi connector on the third end. You just populate it and put the retainer on. Not sure why they did it this way; maybe they wanted to retain the option to feed the cable through a narrow passage (like a top tube or something.) As long as you get the polarity right it's straightforward.

The data cable has three identical ends and one end that's different. The end that's different goes into the display. That leaves three ends, and here's where I got confused. The correct connections are:

Connector with red shrinkwrap near the end - motor
Connector with dust cover - battery B (lipo battery)
Connector without dust cover - battery A – Hub Battery

Apparently misconnections of this cable will produce strange behavior/error codes but will not damage anything.

To test just battery and display, the display can be connected directly to the lipo data connector. It will power up and display an error code. (EMS had me do this as a debug step.)

Back