• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

ESC Optimal settings! Very Important - Please share yours

Hey guys,
I've tried various motor timings with these 2. I feel that somewhere between low and very low is best.
Anybody know what's best 'for a fact'?
If we are already on the subject, what exactly does it change.. and how does it affect my ride?
Thanks,
Adam

Hi,
You might have used the search function and found the topic below :
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57068

Now, if you ask me, the timing is a sensible parameter that very few are talking about,
What is being known from the ESC user manuals is :

"The “timing” item is usable for both sensored and sensorless brushless motors. There are
many differences among structures and parameters of different brushless motors, so a fixed
timing ESC is difficult to comparate with all brushless motors. It is necessary to make the
timing value programmable. Please select the most suitable timing value according to the
motor you are just using. Generally, higher timing value brings out higher power output, but the
whole efficiency of the system will be slightly reduced
."

I set my self on fire few ESC and motors while tuning UP the timing and would somehow recommand lower timing rather than higher.
Of course, each case should be considered individually and there might not be much general rules about this.

Hi thanks for the reply,
It seems that you put a rather high timing, but most people go for low
I am using timing 4 out of 5 now (pretty high) and it seems to work better then the low.
how about acceleration?
I use low but i see that some people use high, whats the deal with that too?

any other opinions?

I'm really curious about this too.. I have mine set to lowest timing and initial acceleration. My thoughts were that the motor was supposed to run cooler on lower timing, and I didn't want it to rip out from under my feet with the acceleration.

I'm curious what settings others have run and what their results are.

rs4 - though i'm still undecided, i'm positive that the lowest timing isn't necessarily keeping the engine the coolest. it has much more to do with how much throttle I use then the timing.
I mean if i use less throttle with higher timing it will run cooler (at least that's what i feel with my setup).

my hk150 has 5 timing settings 1 being the lowest.
until now i have only checked 2,3 and 4.
4 - throttle feels crisper and the board responds much faster (throttle wise).
2 - slower 'stabler' acceleration

on very steep hills i do get cogging in both setting - still haven't figured out which is better cogging wise - if anyone has an input on this i'll be glad to hear it.

haven't touched the acceleration - now set to lowest - maybe this could effect things too - any1 have any experience with this?

still not sure what setting is optimal but ill keep searching.
Anyway i do feel it is critical that we understand what other people use and feel.
Hope we can all learn how to optimise our boards best from this thread.
Thanks guys.

The reason I haven't shared is because I haven't used that ESC or those motors in any combination...Every motor and ESC pairing, with wheelsize, gearing , voltage, and weight with rider is going to be different and get different results. The only way to perfect your ride is to experiment with different equipment and settings. I have 5 running boards right now and all of them behave differently. Try a different ESC.

psycho - since it seems you have so much experience why don't you shed some light on the subject. :D
it can't be just random and totally different for every ESC.
there must be some guideline - some "do's" and "don't's"
I've heard of a couple guys who fried their ESC with experimenting with the settings which is what makes it harder to test without some concern..

Well, I use Castle and Hobbywing ESC's. They are super nice and have the option of using a program card and/or a USB link and software for your computer. Far more options than I saw with HK. The EZrun 150a pro is the smoothest accerating ESC I have used to date.

I usually set these parameters:
Forward only/ with brake
Brake: 60%
drag brake: 0%
Neutral range: 9%
Low voltage cuttoff: 3.2v
Max Power: 90%-100%
Start up: Medium-High
Timing:15

I've only had one issue with a motor overheating and in trying different timings, I never solved the problem. Turned out that the windings were phasing out inside. New Motor/problem solved

I've only Burned out one ESC. Thought it was because I was coasting downhill...in actuality it was because a motor wire had come loose (frayed).

i don't think motor timing will help with cogging.

& i don't have much to say about motor timing

BUT to reduce/eliminate cogging do this.
1. more teeth in mesh - min 6 - more teeth in mesh = less cogging
2. super solid motor mount, it flexes/moves - even just 0.5mm you get more cogging. look at ways of how you can cross-brace your mount
3. perfect parallel alignment of drive/driven pulleys.
4. fine belt tensioning/adjustments.

Super low gearing 3:1 maybe 4:1 and/or a sensor'd ESC and Motor are the only things that are going to eliminate cogging as lack of communication between the ESC and Motor before it spins is the number 1 problem. Number 2 problem is simply lack of torque.

Back