Eternal outskirts of Moscow and beyond (LOTS of pics!)

IMG_5900.jpg
38. Our next stop was the old workers settlement of the former Sergo Ordzhonikidze Machine Tool Building Plant.

IMG_5907.jpg
39. Its old two-storey buildings and cosy inner yards was oosing with "old Moscow outskirt" feel.

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5913.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg
42. We went in the one of the open entrances.

IMG_5920.jpg

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_5932.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg
46. And even received short but colorful history lesson from the one of "the locals".

IMG_5967.jpg
47. Then we got to the observation deck nearby the "Golden Brains".

IMG_5975.jpg
48. Traditional photo with a banner of the Wild Students.

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5991.jpg
50. The "Golden Brains" is the moniker for the HQ of the Russian Academy of Science. As you can see the, with the construction on the roof of the building - the pun is quite obvious. The Wild Student on the left is a very bright person too!

IMG_5999.jpg

IMG_6004.jpg

IMG_6009.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg
54. Me and the Wild ones split in the tunnel underneath the observation deck.

IMG_6036.jpg
55. They've went further into the night, and i've went home.

That's it for this week!

:LOL: That will pass! Couple of sets of photos and we back on track.

I'm personally is amongst the very "Pepsi generation" who got a first taste of a massive Western culture impact in the end of 80's. The plethora of bootleg VHS tapes with all imaginable Hollywood movies, classic and new (sometimes we watched those bootlegs before the actual movie hit the theatres in the West!). Always with the infamous nasal one-voice translation right over oriniginal sound track. One of those legendary translators passed a couple weeks ago and many people remembered him (his voice!).

The many people back then was in blind faith that "all Western is better just because". This thing passed with time, but i still remember those times.

Same thing with music - compact cassettes (and open reels before) with anything western you want. All bootlegs, of course.

Those was the times, the 80's-90's, the downfall of USSR. "Soft power" is the thing that should be treated seriously!

Well but as you say, that was in the 80's and 90's. I was young then.. not that I'm old now but comparatively some years have passed. What I am more curious about is how the current generation feels about western culture. How do current affairs we won't mention in detail affect the way young people look at western movies, music and other arts?

Yep! The only country in the world which by some prolonged period was equipped with underground shelters for the 100% if its population.The underground museum when i was often volunteered has the relevant post about it some time ago (it's in Russian, so use autotranslation if needed).

Excellent video I saw not to long ago, it shows those house bunkers mentioned in the article. It doesn't look like much, till you turn around and look at the door itself it's massive.

That station in your pictures has nice lighting in the dark btw, but it doesn't look like the masonry is in good condition ( or quality.. looks like a quick paintjob while it would have looked wonderful with a limestone charade ).

Picture 37, when at that train station looking at those four smoke stacks, wth is that a nuclear power plant that cooling tower on the left looks massive,

Those water towers are still the property of the notorious Russian Railroads, which itself like a state inside a state.
This reminded me of a story I read some long time ago called Iron Angel by Don Hawthorne, in a sci fi anthology There Will Be War (don't remember which volume), about a group of Russian Army "corps of engineers" that commandeer a train to try to get out of Soviet area during an "end of the world" scenario, but on their way out they run across villages and people that need their help and they decide to stay and use the train to create trade along the rail routes to help people keep going.

BTW this image
and some others in the group have lighting that reminds me of Norman Rockwell painting.s :)

What I am more curious about is how the current generation feels about western culture. How do current affairs we won't mention in detail affect the way young people look at western movies, music and other arts?
Well, my only solid relation with the current generation is my teenage daughter (and her friends she told us of), so the "sample size" is quite narrow. But i can say for sure - in general they are totally OK with the western culture. In the comparison to my generation they are more picky and spoiled by the instant access to a media on demand.

Even the reactions to the movies is quite the same here and there!

The movie theatres in Russia very soon would release the pirated digital copy of the "Barbie", it even was in the news! 🏴‍☠️

So there is not so much difference - the Western culture still prevails, the Asian culture (mostly the anime) is more popular than before, and the local movies and TV shows... they are there, but in the bottom of the imaginable "popularity rating". The local music is feeling much better, though (as it was before too).

Foreign movies are mostly from the USA, TV shows is mostly from the USA, but the presence of European and Asian shows are strong, the music is from all around the world (and ex-USSR is included).

I had a quick glance through my personal selected music library: there is a 19 bands from the USA vs 24 bands from the Europe.

The only thing is very different - the amateur media production is quite strong nowadays. In my school days in the 90's it can't be done at such scale: can't imagine such quality and popularity of amateur production without modern PCs, VDSLRs, affordable sound equipment and the internet video services!

Excellent video I saw not to long ago, it shows those house bunkers mentioned in the article.
It's funny, when i watched this video, my thoughts was always a little ahead: "But those bunkers are irrelevant against the modern warf... oh, there it goes" or "But the Switzerland is not neutral anymo... oh, there it goes" :LOL:

That station in your pictures has nice lighting in the dark btw, but it doesn't look like the masonry is in good condition ( or quality.. looks like a quick paintjob while it would have looked wonderful with a limestone charade ).
Yep, the masonry was never that good in the first place and the Russian Railroads did the paint job "as our regulations said!", hence the result. If this old station was the property of the city, the outcome would be much better.

Picture 37, when at that train station looking at those four smoke stacks, wth is that a nuclear power plant that cooling tower on the left looks massive,
No, it is one of the many Moscow "TETs" - the thermal power station powered by fossil fuel which produces surplus heat to the city central heating system. It was powered by the coal when build and in the 80's converted to the natural gas. It was a tremendous improvement in the everyday life of Moscow - no more smoke, ash, vast ash ponds and the enormous coal trains! So the electricity, heat, steam, CO2 and the distinctive low humming - is the only things the Moscow power stations produced nowadays.

Cooling towers of the nuclear power stations is much, much bigger. But even the "small ones" are looking enormous, when you looking at them in the close distance!

a train to try to get out of Soviet area during an "end of the world" scenario
They would be probably got stopped anyway when the Soviet 1520 mm railway gauge ends and the 1435 mm European gauge starts! I wonder if the author of the book was aware of this predicament.

have lighting that reminds me of Norman Rockwell painting.s
That was a flattering comparison, thanks! Now i see that looks on the faces of the "wild ones" is quite picturesque too :LOL:

Last edited:
I don't remember the story well enough to remember if that was covered or not. My guess is...probably not--I expect that as is typical of people writing about things they have no experience of, there were lots of "little" things missed. ;)

I'll bet your friends all want ebikes now.

:mrgreen:
They have very mature and reasonable approach in that matter: "Oh, let me ride a little! Ooh, that's a cool bike indeed!" - "Would you buy yourself same bike?" - "Well, you know... I have my bicycle, a car and not a much of spare time. It's a cool toy, but a toy nevertheless. So not now!" :rolleyes:

Just a technical update for now. Another approach to marry a Chinese Sur-Ron e-bike and old-school tires from the Saint-Petersburg! The whole summer is gone since the last time i've experimented with the tires. Time to a new experiments:
IMG_7914.jpg
01. The "before" - with a 19 inch Petroshina tires and 54T sprocket.

IMG_7915.jpg
02. In the process...

IMG_7916.jpg
03. All is done!

IMG_7918.jpg
04. The "now" - with a new 16 inch Petroshina tire and 64T sprocket!

IMG_7919.jpg
05. The rim is a little wide for this light and compact tire. But it fits anyway!

IMG_7921.jpg
06. In the left - is a old tire from the rear wheel, in the right - from the front wheel. The considerable torque of the Sur-Ron and a lots of tarmac eaten a lots of a rubber!

IMG_7922.jpg
07. The new wheel is a much smaller than the old one.

IMG_7923.jpg
08. Thanks to a smaller wheel and the bigger sprocket my Sur-Ron is totally within a Russian road regulations (50 km/h max for the mopeds).

IMG_7924.jpg
09. I've expected much clumsier look due to reduced wheel size. But it came off OK!

IMG_7925.jpg
10. The new parts has a little clownish paint job, but the dirt will took care of it soon!

IMG_8090_f.jpg
11. For those who interested in the unsprung weight! This is a new wheel.

IMG_8091_f.jpg
12. And the old one.

IMG_8095_f.jpg
13. And this is a whole Sur-Ron as it is. It's a twice less weight than me DIY moped from before! Alas, it's a twice less battery range also.

Will wait for the new miraculous battery solutions. Aren't we all?

06. In the left - is a old tire from the rear wheel, in the right - from the front wheel. The considerable torque of the Sur-Ron and a lots of tarmac eaten a lots of a rubber!
Also, there is a lot more weight on the rear wheel.

Also, there is a lot more weight on the rear wheel.
Yes, the dynamic weight distribution shift while accelerating is a very considerable. Interestingly enough, the static weight distribution of the unmanned Sur-Ron is strictly towards to front wheel (you can see it dangling nose down in the photo 13). I guess its static weight distribution would be close to 50:50 if the driver is within average body weight.

Is it possible to keep the front wheel on the ground? :mrgreen:
That was exactly the first question i was asked when i've first arrived to a work with the new wheel setup! :LOL:
Actually, for me it's surprisingly simple - i just lean forward a little while acceleration and that's it. No wheelie, not even a tire squeal, just a juicy rapid acceleration right up to a 50 km/h. But i'm slightly above average height and weight, that sure does help.

Today i'll show you the hike to a "legendary Kur'yanovo wasteland" with the Wild Students in the autumn 2022. Why it's here, if it's not been done on the e-bike wheels? Becaus the fate of said wasteland would take a dramatic turn in the matter of several weeks after that trip of ours. But let's not go ahead the natural order of events!

My last trip to this place was in the late spring of 2022: Eternal outskirts of Moscow and beyond (LOTS of pics!)

Since the Wild Ones quite enjoyed my impromptu tour to a "Tarkovsky Stalker's wasteland" the new deliberate tour from me was in order!

01_t8ky9p78iz83yd57ic.jpg
01. To set a premise: that's a view to a wasteland in question in the 1980's. That was not a wasteland back then, but the fields of collective farm called "The giant of the kitchen garden". I'm not even kidding, it sounds exactly ridiculous in Russian too!

02_IMG_6106.jpg
02. The group started to assembly.

03_IMG_6109.jpg

04_IMG_6107.jpg
04. The starting point was just outside the well-lit "The Moscow Central Technical Sports Park".

05_IMG_6110.jpg
05. Some parts of the group was tardy a tad.

06_IMG_6117.jpg
06. The heartly embraces were exchanged.

07_IMG_6108.jpg
07. Our further path was to the dark places through the tall grass meadow.

08_IMG_6121.jpg
08. "Evgeny, are you quite sure?"

09_IMG_6125.jpg
09. Yes, i am! Also - there is 13 people in the group, the most of them i've encountered for the first time. Not bad for a first amateur tour through the wild corners of the Moscow!

10_IMG_6140.jpg
10. Our first stop was in the place where 1/3 of Moscow sewer is dumped to a Moscow river.

Last edited:
11_IMG_6128.jpg

12_IMG_6129.jpg

13_IMG_6136.jpg

14_IMG_6139.jpg
14. "Does it smell bad?" - actually, not! The Kur'yanovo sewer processing plant does it job very well. The water smells like... like river water.

15_IMG_6152.jpg
15. "There is a good views to a Kolomenskoye ahead!" - and the group went further into the night.

16_IMG_6144.jpg

17_IMG_6143.jpg

18_IMG_6142.jpg
18. The view was not bad indeed.

19_IMG_6145.jpg
19. Onwards!

20_IMG_6147.jpg
20. The next stop - is an abandoned ferry berth.

21_zhn76bw5se01y3pom6.jpg
21. Here it is, in late 1990's, abandoned some time ago. In the 1980's it was still in service for the collective farm operation.

22_IMG_6148.jpg
22. Now it just a convenient stop to enjoy a views to the Kolomenskoye and Nagatinsky Zaton district.

23_IMG_6146.jpg
23. There was a peculiar pit in the autumn leaves. Some of the Wild Ones was wild enough to dive in.

24_3f11729807bf0e9417558e678e1a2fc6.jpg
24. The answer is again in the old photos from the Pastvu.com. This one is from 1990's and you can see a chapel and other buildings. There was some boating society for kids. It's all gone now.

25_u4qd8f70o7bb48iqgr.jpg
25. And here is said chapel in 1999.

27_IMG_6149.jpg
26. Another strange artifact in the dark of the Moscow night. It is the shed made from reinforced concrete tube!

28_IMG_6150.jpg
27. A perfect place to a collective portrait, isn't it?
29_IMG_6151.jpg

30_IMG_6153.jpg
29. And there was a moment when we noticed that we are not a 14 (with me included) people anymore :eek:

31_IMG_6154.jpg
30. And there was the headlights. In this place? In such time?! But when the car noticed us it's turned around and vanished.

Last edited:
32_IMG_6155.jpg
31. And then the "Lost Ones" was found!

33_IMG_6158.jpg
32. And that was time to celebrate.

34_IMG_6156.jpg
33. With a view to a Pererva hydroelectric station.

35_IMG_6163.jpg
34. While my group did some R&R, i've walked around with my camera.

36_IMG_6164.jpg

37_IMG_6166.jpg

38_IMG_6168.jpg

39_IMG_6167.jpg

40_IMG_6169.jpg

41_IMG_6165.jpg
40. The festivities was at full blast!

42_IMG_6171.jpg

43_Untitled.gif
42. The Nocturnal Bacchanalia!

44_IMG_6172.jpg

45_IMG_6170.jpg
44. But all good things has its end, so there was a time to go home.

46_IMG_6174.jpg
45. On our way out of the Kur'yanovo wilderness we visited "the stone garden".

47_IMG_6173.jpg

48_IMG20221026224734.jpg
47. The quite content and a little weary bunch of the Wild Ones in the Moscow Central Diameters EMU.

49_IMG20221026231615.jpg
48. The wilderness gave me 6 stars of the burdock for a ride!

50_IMG_6175.jpg
49. And the three extra stars.

51_IMG_6176.jpg
50. And that was the end of the Kur'yanovsky wasteland as we know it.

But that's the story for another time. And that would be it for this week!

Beautiful scenery. Your country has such lovely wide-open spaces, much as mine does. Lots of cool places to explore.

If you find something hideously ugly or even grotesque, post that as well. I love looking at blights in landscapes.

Beautiful scenery. Your country has such lovely wide-open spaces, much as mine does. Lots of cool places to explore.
Thank you! It's actually mind-boggling, the years go by and i still can't keep up with all the places in Moscow i've always wanted to visit. And there is so much for me to see in Russia - the Kola peninsula, Karelia, Ural mountains and the far beyond, up the whole Far East region. Then there is a lot of neighbour countries, especially the Asian ones. And there is the whole world around. Always wanted to visit USA, btw. Traveling from coast to coast by a e-moped would be cool. I hope we will live to the day when it would be possible.

If you find something hideously ugly or even grotesque, post that as well. I love looking at blights in landscapes.
That's actually could be tricky. I mean - the most of the places in Moscow i've gave so much attention is the wastelands, which is should be the perfect urban blight for most people? But not for me, i've found them beautiful. For me, the most disturbing Moscow blights would be the Luzhkov era shopping malls. Absolutely tasteless, visually dirty, land-raping warts. Ugh. The epitome of 90's Russian anarcho-capitalism.

The couple of examples: here, here or here.

OK, back to the "legendary Kur'yanovo wasteland". The story starts here and continues here.

I've posted my trip report to my Dzen blog and then later, during the following winter, i've started to recieve some disturbing comments to my post. "The forest is being cut!", "The Kolomenskoe is doomed!", "Russia being kicked out of UNESCO because of that barbarity!", "The half of billion of roubles is being embezzled!!!". :oop:

I've tried to sort something out through that hysteria and found the following facts:
1. There is some open tender (circa 2017) documentation with a lots of money;
2. According to this documents the Kur'yanovo wasteland should be assigned to the Kolomenskoe (which is right across the Moscow river);
3. There should be a lot of greening and other land imrovement works on said wasteland;
4. There was some traces of said works on the wasteland ("the yellow gravel road" and the groups of some planted trees is among them) i've seen with my own eyes and took photos of it;
5. There is no way that tender was fully fulfilled in time!

So, at least no high numbers embezzlement was done. There was indeed an ambitious plan once, the plan was severly cut first, and then some of works had started, and then its all been abandoned.

The interesting part happend later - in the winter of 2022/2023. Suddenly the swarms of heavy groundwork machinery was summoned the the wasteland and the whole thing was levelled. I mean totally! The "yellow gravel road", the new trees and the old ones (which is mostly the freakin' box elder, so no complaints from me on this one), the "stone garden", the "concrete tube shed" - it's all gone! It's like the fields of the "Giant of the kitchen garden" collective farm was back from 1980's with a revenge!

Well, that was indeed something for me to see. In the early spring of 2023 i've saddled my Sur-Ron and went away to the Kur'yanovo!

01_IMG_6212.jpg
01. I've started to shoot away long before i've reached the wasteland. There was some electronic equipment plant, now there is apartment building construction. The amount of the real estate development in Moscow sometimes frightens me. Where all that people would work? There is no offices or industrial buildings nearby, only the appartements. I hope i just don't have a full understanding of how that thing is supposed to work.

02_IMG_6214.jpg
02. There is the perfectly restorated GAZ-21 "Volga". Nice!

03_IMG_6218.jpg
03. The ponds in the Maryino distrinct are being cleaned.

04_IMG_6221.jpg
04. The II-68, П-44, П-47 and the fancy КОПЭ - all the Moscow's 80's panel classics in the one row!

05_IMG_6215.jpg

06_IMG_6216.jpg

07_IMG_6222.jpg
07. The lonely pump.

08_IMG_6223.jpg
08. Look at the big rubber plug in the pipe.

09_IMG_6224.jpg

10_IMG_6225.jpg
10. The settling basins with the rusty garages around. What a beautifully nasty place, especially at the early spring!

11_IMG_6226.jpg
11. Is this a foam or an ice? I don't quite remember.

12_IMG_6227.jpg

13_IMG_6232.jpg
13. A typical Moscow dovecote. Rough and tough. The pigeon fancying was a muscovites thing for a long time.

14_IMG_6233.jpg

15_IMG_6231.jpg

16_IMG_6230.jpg

17_IMG_6235.jpg
17. The mushroom bears are guarding the entrance to the "Electronic Device Plant".

18_IMG_6236.jpg

19_IMG_6237.jpg

20_IMG_6238.jpg
20. Something abandoned on the edge of the Maryino district.

That GAZ M21 Volga is beautiful. It would make a great EV conversion. The photo looks to be either a 1st generation or a 2nd generation because of the hood ornament.

21_IMG_6240.jpg
21. The new buildings of the Maryino in the back and piece of the old Maryino (late Soviet era) on the front. The oldest Maryino (a rural area with a villages and fields) are nowhere to be found (except an old photos on the pastvu.com and some old maps on the retromap.ru).

22_IMG_6244.jpg

23_IMG_6243.jpg
23. Across the Moscow river from Maryino is the Saburovo (yes, there is a jockes about Subarovo in Russian).

24_IMG_6245.jpg

25_IMG_6246.jpg
25. Some storage facility or something.

26_IMG_6247.jpg

27_IMG_6248.jpg
27. "The canteen" on the right. I have no comments about the blue guy on the left.

28_IMG_6249.jpg
28. I've always fancied that lavender colored small tiles decorating the panels.

29_IMG_6253.jpg

30_IMG_6251.jpg
30. Oh, that's a memorable place. Underneath that hill is the illegal landfill site. Oh boy, what a scandal that was back in a day!

Back