Eternal outskirts of Moscow and beyond (LOTS of pics!)

I thought the term gopnik was tied to hardbass, your last link is far from that
The term itself is older than both our ages combined, it's from the first decades after 1917 Revolution. Doesn't tied to a music nor politics (if ever, the real gopniks was apolitical or anarchists or nihilists or whatever are "true criminal thieves" consider themselves). So basically gopnik was a petty criminal with ambitions and some shady code of demeanor and for some period they done cheap tracksuits. That's the basic canon, and all other details about music and politics - are fanfics of extended gopnikverse :LOL:

Pretty sure you can find a gopnik from the time, who I'd be able to relate and get along with.
Of course! The most of young lads considered gopniks back in the time was just a common young people who wanted to belong to some greater force. Benevolent posers, so to speak.

I must say I can't agree with you based on that rendition.
Oh, we got a little confused during our conversation. I'm agree completely, the best Katyusha renditions is with female soloists (as it should be).
What i've meant back then is a different song, the Polyushko-polye.

Oh, we got a little confused during our conversation. I'm agree completely, the best Katyusha renditions is with female soloists (as it should be).

It can be song in a duet kind of way, I found one which I absolutely love to hear as well Katyusha duet

But the best one is female, as the song tells a tale from her perspective indeed.

What i've meant back then is a different song, the Polyushko-polye.
Ow yes, I'm sorry I said rendition as if it was the same song, but of that song I don't think you linked the best one either

Or well, it's probably just different post production, and some might not like it but I like the cleaner sound.

The term itself is older than both our ages combined, it's from the first decades after 1917 Revolution. Doesn't tied to a music nor politics (if ever, the real gopniks was apolitical or anarchists or nihilists or whatever are "true criminal thieves" consider themselves). So basically gopnik was a petty criminal with ambitions and some shady code of demeanor and for some period they done cheap tracksuits. That's the basic canon, and all other details about music and politics - are fanfics of extended gopnikverse :LOL:

I guess it's like that with most subcultures. Anyway, I still don't think things are that simple, you want to tell me those girls on those pics earlier would be 'petty criminals with ambitions and a shady code of honor' or just born in a certain environment?

It's less about criminality imo as in social reform, perhaps in another country gopniks would be seen as fighting the establishment more then 'petty criminals'. A bit like the Dutch 'nozem' from the 1950's. My uncle always told me I'd be one if I were born earlier.

Ow yes, I'm sorry I said rendition as if it was the same song, but of that song I don't think you linked the best one either
This video is unavailable in Russia. Go figure! But i've watched it anyway. It's an older version, the Soviet classics is good for sure. The one i've posted is of post-Soviet era, but still good nevertheless!

Anyway, I still don't think things are that simple, you want to tell me those girls on those pics earlier would be 'petty criminals with ambitions and a shady code of honor' or just born in a certain environment?
Girls are just want to hang with a "cool guys", that's all. Most of the people called gopniks back then do not considered themself as "gopniks". That is how other people called them, and often mistakenly. There was no some country-wide movement with a manifesto. There was just working class youth from the city outskirts who's just copied the outfit from each other. The criteria was simple: comfy, cheap, neat looking and "not like those woosies from the central city neighbourhoods". So yes, things was mostly that simple!

Just yesterday i've saw a middle-aged man wearing a flat cap and the Adidas "the three stripes" sweatpants. Couple of decades ago he probably was some "Ivan the cross-eyed" or "Vasiliy the sharp", "the scourge of the Northern Chertanovo". Now he had his little grandson hand in his left palm and a bottle of still water in the right. On his way out of a tramway car he spoke with his raspy voice: "hey, lady, watch out, your handbag is left open". "Oh, thanks!" was the lady answer. Sic transit gloria mundi.

It's less about criminality imo as in social reform, perhaps in another country gopniks would be seen as fighting the establishment more then 'petty criminals'. A bit like the Dutch 'nozem' from the 1950's. My uncle always told me I'd be one if I were born earlier.
That looks pretty much like the Soviet "stilyagi"! Pro-western youth which opposed to the government and listening to rock music and wearing outfits that was simultaneously in fashion and opposed to the way how "common people" everyday dresses. If anything, "stilyagi" and "gopniks" were the mortal enemies.

Think they ever watched Kiss?
Of course they are! It took a culturally enriched person to compose a such clever satire to a black metal, neopaganism, gangsta rap and gopniks in one perfect audiovisual creation. It meant to be a parody to a so-called "corpse paint" and turning it to a homage to the Kiss makeup was a pretty obvious choice.

The last batch of photos from my summer 2022 trip to the Bashkiria. Just a nice evening ride with a twist.
Also, i would try to post more hi-res pictures. Will see how it goes.
01_IMG_5459.jpg
01. The nice warm evening and the open road through the steppes towards the setting sun.

02_IMG_5458.jpg

03_IMG_5455.jpg

04_IMG_5452.jpg
04. There seems to be a tradition to take a selfies amongst the sunflower fields. Never quite understand it, but here i am!

05_IMG_5456.jpg

06_IMG_5463.jpg

07_IMG_5462.jpg

08_IMG_5460.jpg

09_IMG_5466.jpg

10_IMG_5461.jpg

11_IMG_5467.jpg
11. There was a road somewhere, leading to a little hill amongst the fields. I've took that road.

12_IMG_5468.jpg
12. There was a little rural cemetery. A little settlements around was long gone, but cemetery was left untouched.

13_IMG_5470.jpg
13. I've parked my bike outside the fence and walked inside.

14_IMG_5474.jpg

15_IMG_5476.jpg

16_IMG_5477.jpg

17_IMG_5478.jpg

18_IMG_5479.jpg

19_IMG_5480.jpg
19. This is the actual grave of my grand-grandfather.

20_IMG_5482.jpg
20. He was born in some rural settlement near Poltava. Look it up, where Poltava is actually located!

21_IMG_5483.jpg

22_IMG_5484.jpg

23_IMG_5486.jpg
23. There was a tradition to mark the graves of a WWII vets with the Red Star.

24_IMG_5487.jpg

25_IMG_5490.jpg
25. After a visit of my "ancestral burial site" i've took of to the steppes.

26_IMG_5493.jpg
26. There was a small bee yard ahead.

27_IMG_5495.jpg
27. The Bashkirian honey considered to be one of the best, almost legendary. Too bad i don't like honey.

28_IMG_5496.jpg

29_IMG_5498.jpg

30_IMG_5500.jpg
30. I've took some pics of the obstacles ahead in case i would stuck or fall over. But nothing interesting has happened. I've just rode over all that little creeks and puddles.

31_IMG_5501.jpg

32_IMG_5502.jpg

33_IMG_5503.jpg

34_IMG_5505.jpg
34. This strange piece of the landscape you probably noticed in the pics above is actually abandoned groundworks for a high-speed highway from Kazan to Yekaterinburg. I hope this projects would be completed. The ride from Moscow to Priyutovo in a 12-14 hours without a traffic jams would be very nice!

35_IMG_5509.jpg

36_IMG_5510.jpg
36. An old quarry.

37_IMG_5511.jpg

38_IMG_5512.jpg
38. A little chapel in the distance.

39_IMG_5522.jpg

40_IMG_5518.jpg

41_IMG_5513.jpg

42_IMG_5519.jpg

43_IMG_5523.jpg

44_IMG_5521.jpg

45_IMG_5526.jpg
45. Bashkiria is officially bilingual, hence the road signs in the Russian and the Bashkirian.

46_IMG_5527.jpg
46. The water towers like this was needed for a steam engines refill and there is a lot of them all along the old Trans-Siberian railroad. There is no need for them now, so they stay as a monuments.

47_IMG_5528.jpg
47. This is the actually the very last photographis shot i've took in Bashkiria for now. But i'm looking forward to visit this place more and more in the future!

This is all for this week.

In Russia they are converting homes into missile silos. Some slight difference between East and West.
I can not imagine how it is in Russia today. We were all so optimistic during Gorbatshow's time and made a lot of friends.
All gone since a gopnik became the Russian Zar. I genuinely feel sorry for you and your beautiful country.

The water towers are beautiful. If they were in the USA somebody would have converted them into houses.

If they have a monument status ( is that a thing in Russia? ) it's probably not allowed, or extremely expensive as nothing from the outside can be changed ( or damaged ) during construction. That's how it works here anyway. We do have some conversions into housing, but we also have conversions into office space ( this one is local -> Alkmaarse Watertoren | icoon in het Alkmaarse stadsbeeld )

Sadly most of the original construction was to damaged to restore. I guess this was also one of the main reasons a conversion was granted, it was either that or probably taking it down.

We have abandoned missile silos turned into homes in our midwest.

I do wonder if Russia has 'preppers' like the US has... I mean I seen ads for those silo's and basically they act like a friggin doomsday bunker for the most part.

Don't think many people really want to live underground, if they don't need to.

I can not imagine how it is in Russia today. We were all so optimistic during Gorbatshow's time and made a lot of friends.

I probably read this wrong, or read to much into it, but I do feel like you're saying 'we made friends under Gorbachev, but those friends are gone under Putler'.

Those people hopefully didn't change just because their state media changed course? That's what I am trying to hold on to, not every Russian is an active part of the invasion, not every Russian is ok with taking up arms against their neighbor just because their regime says something. That's a very hopeful thought, since it shows that there is a chance for a better future.

So that is why I have a subscription to 1420 by Daniil Orain ( youtube ). Sure, sometimes I'm just reinforced in my wrong assumptions, but more often then that you can see the people haven't changed as much as the regime.

@marvin78

You interpretation of my post was wrong indeed.
The optimism about a common future is gone and to have contacts like in these years is hardly impossible. This is very sad. I can imagine what it will be like to be Russian in the future, as I was born 15 years after WW2. I had quite some unhappy experiences abroad for being a German, even more than 30 years after the war.
This is just what the Russians will experience for the next 50 years multiplied by 10, because anything they did was documented on some video and shared with the world.
They will not be seen as peace loving people that were dragged into a war and lost their best human potential because of just one bad guy. He did not do it alone, millions helped him, not just a small handful of gopnik's. Look at the police men beating the few protesters in the streets, they have a free will and raise there sticks because they want to hit peaceful fellow citizens. They are not remote controlled.
We all saw the pictures of Putin fans cheering in the streets and in the arenas, laughing soldiers riding on tanks into the war, murdered, handcuffed civilians in Ukraine's streets, the reports of raped women, the bombed theater full of women and children, the senseless destruction of hospitals, schools, any civilian infrastructure and world heritage sites. We all saw first hand Russian soldiers shooting civilians just for fun. Because of the modern media, which made any phone owner a video reporter, there is nothing hidden and can be covered up. The world will see the Russians cheering at Putin for stealing Crimea, then vacationing there and buying real estate stolen from Ukraine.
The few anti war voices in Russia will be silent and forgotten, the people that democratically elected Putin will be seen as the real Russians. The children are systematically turned into fascists by fearing or willing teachers.

As a German I have studied what my people did until '45 and never looked for excuses. To be honest, I have quite aggressively opposed those that did. I think I have learned from this past and adjusted my life accordingly. That makes it hard for me to find excuses for others, doing the same, at least since 2014, openly in the modern world.
I earnestly fear for Skorohod's safety, even as I tried to make it a funny comment. It is quite courageous of him to post about his beautiful country and share his fantastic pictures. Fascism does not act logical and judge objectively, nor do fascists have tolerance for art.
By the way, I host two Ukrainian and a Russian family in 3 flats at my house. They don't have any problems living with each other. Last Sunday they had a common party.

I don't want to mess with such a nice (until now) thread of beautiful pictures. 👀🫵
.. amen

My apologies.

@marvin78

You interpretation of my post was wrong indeed.
~

I see. As above, we're detracting from the beauty of the pictures being shared with us :( And I can see directly that it's my own line of posting which had lead to this. Again my apologies.

Well, thank you all for understanding and behaving yourself!

All this little situation invoked yet another strange song from my memory :LOL:

It's lacking its magic when translated, but still, here it is. It's basically just one verse repeating again and again:

"I've told you all so. You all didn't heed to me.
I've told you all so. You all didn't heed to me.

So it went exactly,
So it went exactly,
So it went exactly,
Like i've told you all!"

Could be easily the anthem for the "Was bound to happen" thread!

The water towers are beautiful. If they were in the USA somebody would have converted them into houses.
If they have a monument status ( is that a thing in Russia? ) it's probably not allowed
Those water towers are still the property of the notorious Russian Railroads, which itself like a state inside a state. So it's basically in a legislative limbo. It's not great because the lack of proper maintaining and state protection, it's not terrible because the city developers would not mess with them.

Sometimes Railroad do pass ownership over some of its treasured lands and realty and then results may vary. In the Moscow, which is quite prosperous city with strong scrutiny over... well, basically over anything such tower would become a monument. In some small settlement like Priyutovo the chances are fifty-fifty. In some small village far from any "civilisation" those tower would become a ruin.

The regulations for housing development in Russia are strict. For now you can't officially convert a former industrial building to an apartment building. De-facto it's happening with a lot old plants (they become the very same "loft apartments" like in the rest of the world), but they still not a proper apartments according to laws! Same goes to an old watertower.

We have abandoned missile silos turned into homes in our midwest.
Oh, those are cool! The majority of ex-USSR silos are completely demolished by some military regulations. The only ex-USSR missile silos converted to a museums i know of is in Lithuania and Ukraine.

Don't think many people really want to live underground, if they don't need to.
I'm quite obsessed with subterranean things and i might say: however cool living in the silo might be, but the actual living underground is scarcely comfy. I would prefer to live above the ground and visit underground by a whim.

We do have some conversions into housing, but we also have conversions into office space ( this one is local -> Alkmaarse Watertoren | icoon in het Alkmaarse stadsbeeld )

Sadly most of the original construction was to damaged to restore. I guess this was also one of the main reasons a conversion was granted, it was either that or probably taking it down.
Yes, we have it a lot too, and with the similar problems. Can't remember exactly converted watertower from the top of my head, so there is another prominent example (there is no translation for this article, so use the automatic translation, if needed).

I do wonder if Russia has 'preppers' like the US has... I mean I seen ads for those silo's and basically they act like a friggin doomsday bunker for the most part.
Yes, we have! I'm personally know some of them.I don't believe in the "classic prepper" approach with a storm cellar for a bunker stuffed with canned foods and ammo. The real life scenario would render all this useless. One can be raided with some well-prepared ex-military gang or would fell with the sickness which can't be cured without outside help. It would be extremely hard to survive against whole world with just one man or a small family.

But the same cellar could be a real deal when the area would be hit by a conventional arms - it's perfect to survive the heavy shelling and not being hit by a shrapnell!

So knowing the nearest shelter or owning it is good. Stuffing it with unreasonable amounts of food and ammo and dreaming of fighting hordes of radioactive zombies with a shotgun - is quite childish IMO.

P.S.
I can not imagine how it is in Russia today.
and
And I can see directly that it's my own line of posting which had lead to this.

- i've did some browsing and found this thread which is already filled with the flame about war. Maybe we all could try and converse there about sensitive topic without harming the ES community? In the worst case scenario that thread would be closed or moved to a dumpster and no one would be hurt.

I am not even comfortable responding to the talks about the water tower, even when it's directly related and as far as I can the furthest from inflammatory ( water towers tend to do that don't they :D ) we touched upon. I didn't even want to discuss 'politics' just life in general :(

On the other hand, I feel like the talks about 'life' also extend from the pictures who focus so much on the contrast between things. Be it nature and 'progress' or say a cemetery which has been abandoned just as the village it served. How this affects people is however to sensitive a topic since talking about 'people' makes things personal while I think we'll be fine if we stick with the immaterial things.

Like the water tower. But I'm a bit lost as what I would like to share atm.

Yes, we have! I'm personally know some of them.

Interesting, I always thought 'Hollywood' had a big part in the creation of the 'zombie prepper' but I don't think Hollywood has the same cultural impact on Russian society as it does on the US and Western Europe. And we all know how the US 'grew up' with those 'duck and cover' adds running on tv, being taught at schools and what not. I think that bred a certain generation which has expectations which might not be met if 'sh1t hits the fan'.

As to the effectiveness of bunkers, ask the Swizz. Seriously, I think we should consider them the experts in bunker digging. But as you said, it doesn't work against a semi organized militia. I don't believe in individual bunkers / families 'pulling through'. But groups of people, big enough to have different people with differentiating skill sets and abilities, that's something else. So small bunkers to survive a first 'strike' seem to me like a plausible working scenario. But after that, you better team up for the exact reason you said.

- i've did some browsing and found this thread which is already filled with the flame about war. Maybe we all could try and converse there about sensitive topic without harming the ES community? In the worst case scenario that thread would be closed or moved to a dumpster and no one would be hurt.

That thread doesn't look related, other then a sensitive user name I guess lol. More so, I don't really feel a need to potentially open a can of worms with political discussions. but if someone had a question I might be persuaded to respond / answer. But I don't have anything which I really need to get off my chest. and which is somehow important for someone here to hear :)

I am not even comfortable responding to the talks about the water tower
:LOL: That will pass! Couple of sets of photos and we back on track.

Hollywood has the same cultural impact on Russian society as it does on the US and Western Europe
I'm personally is amongst the very "Pepsi generation" who got a first taste of a massive Western culture impact in the end of 80's. The plethora of bootleg VHS tapes with all imaginable Hollywood movies, classic and new (sometimes we watched those bootlegs before the actual movie hit the theatres in the West!). Always with the infamous nasal one-voice translation right over oriniginal sound track. One of those legendary translators passed a couple weeks ago and many people remembered him (his voice!).

The many people back then was in blind faith that "all Western is better just because". This thing passed with time, but i still remember those times.

Same thing with music - compact cassettes (and open reels before) with anything western you want. All bootlegs, of course.

Those was the times, the 80's-90's, the downfall of USSR. "Soft power" is the thing that should be treated seriously!

As to the effectiveness of bunkers, ask the Swizz.
Yep! The only country in the world which by some prolonged period was equipped with underground shelters for the 100% if its population.The underground museum when i was often volunteered has the relevant post about it some time ago (it's in Russian, so use autotranslation if needed).

So, back to the Moscow! When i was back from Bashkiria, the "Wild Students" announced yet another mixed ride in Moscow. As it happens - right through my neighbourhood! So i didn't hesitate to join and did some tour guiding.

IMG_5535.jpg
01. Under the fence of the "Kanatchikova Dacha" psychiatric clinic we listened to the Vladimir Vysotsky song about that place.

IMG_5540.jpg
02. The Becket pond - named after local merchant Becketov.

IMG_5543.jpg
03. Through the bushes alongside Chura river. Some of Wild Students can show pretty mad skills in the roller skating off roading!

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg
05. The Chura river.

IMG_5563.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg

IMG_5590.jpg
08. The Krovyanka river and its settling basins.

IMG_5606.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg
13. Throug the thorns to the wasteland!

IMG_5721.jpg
14. "It's just up this dirt road!"

IMG_5736.jpg

IMG_5754.jpg
16. "Look, there is a dude burning wires in the bonfire!". He was no homeless though, just a construction worker from Central Asia who's trying to get some additional income by scrapping metals.

IMG_5758.jpg
17. With the beautiful sunset colors there was a time for a little photoshoot.

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

o8l4bgfhrh9hzu13n7.jpg
20. So i've talked a little about a history of this place and shown some old photos of it. That one is from 60's - here was the road and a little bridge over Chura river.

q8g0z8pqp474s502fj.jpg
21. And this one is from 70's, from the actual shooting location of the Tarkovsky's "Stalker".

z1881c1d31be432db99f3d511c1917e68.jpg
22. And this one is too.

IMG_5781.jpg
23. And now, almost half of century over there is me an the Wild Students, on the tall heap of a rubble!

IMG_5777.jpg
24. This rubble is actually a waste from a demolished old houses, lying on top of the ash from the power station nearby, and the former ash ponds is lying upon the Chura river which flowing in the concrete tunnel deep underneath us. The Moscow historical sandwich.

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_5824.gif
27. After such deep incursion in the history of Chura river and its vicinity and beautiful photoshoot the darkness of the night consumed us.

IMG_5845.jpg
28. Our next stop was the old railroad station Kanatchikivo.

IMG_5851.jpg
29. This station among its sisters was build in the years of 1902-1908 with the Moscow Encircle Railway.

IMG_5854.jpg
30. More than a century this railroad was used only for cargo.

IMG_5855.jpg
31. Only in the year of 2017 it finally was converted to the electric modern passenger railroad.

IMG_5859.jpg
32. Here it is - the "Lastochka" train (the "Swallow") - the deeply localised Siemens Desiro.

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5891.jpg
35. The old plaque said "66,3 sazhen above the sea level". Sazhen was the traditional Russian unit of measurement, roughly about two meters.

IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_5896.jpg

Back