EV global make-over... help needed

ijava

10 mW
Hello everyone,
I have a EVG bike 24 volt which I would like to re-power.
This bike will be used for commuting and recreational riding.
I would like 20-25 mph and a 20 mile range (with me peddling)
*I weigh 240 lbs.*
I plan to use a ‪Crystalyte HS3540 motor.‬

‪I need help/ suggestions picking the ‬(sensorless) controller and Ping battery.

Best, Pierce

It's a heavy bike and I suggest a High torque motor vs the speed motor you have planned. The 12 fet sensorless controller from Lyen is pretty good. Methtek has one clearance as well.

Thanks snellemin,
Do you think this is a better combination?
The HT3525 more torque and the 72V Sensorless Controller.
Thanks

Get the motor in a 20" wheel. FYI the HT is NOT higher torque. It IS slower, so if you have hills or mostly stop-n-go riding then it's the choice, otherwise it isn't. With either a 20" wheel or smaller is best, and it's even more important for those of us well above 200lb.

John

That motor, the HS3540 will get you the speed you want at 48 volts. If i remember correctly you previously mentioned hills near where you live. That motor should be fine for most hills. An alternative would be the HT3525 run at higher voltage (60volts or higher)
If that is the motor you chose, then you need a 72 volt controller, I would get one from Lynn. If you get the HS3540, then a 48 volt controller is all you need.

A Ping battery may not be able to handle the output these big motors need. And you may find they don't fit the battery compartment. (I'm assuming you have the model with the battery in the frame?) I'd recomend taking a look at Cell_Man's A123 batteries. They can handle more amps. Or if you are brave enough, Lipo might be an option

I would go with a Sensored motor and controller for anything climbing a hill. Crystalyte sensorless are suppose to be danm good, but Sensored is still better.

My EVG bike weights in at around 82lbs with batteries in the frame. Add 240 lbs and you see that a bigger motor is required to prevent overheating the motor with a 26" wheel. I weight around 185lbs and the Magic Pie has no problem propelling me from a standstill, steep inclines, mountain bike trails and still not overheat in the Texas summer.

Sensored is cool when going with a low powered setup up on a hill. But I prefer sensorless and use a higher voltage to prevent the low end cogging you might get going up a hill (at low speeds). On the flat it only takes an inch or so of movement to get my bike going. If I didn't want to pedal at all, I would get rid of the pedals all together and go sensored.

For batteries I would go with lipo or A123's as mentioned before.

Yeah, I really wish that they'd stop calling slow windings higher torque. It's dead wrong. Even cellman does it, dammit.

Perhaps a more accurate thing to say would be, "makes less waste heat under load going slow up a hill". Which does mean you get some more of your potential torque. And you do feel it like more torque than a fast motor getting slogged.

Anyway back to the subject. I think for your desired target speed, the HT motor, Ping 48v 15 ah, and a 48v controller will work out well. The rub is, the battery will not fit into the battery box area. So a better approach might well be to get an A123 battery made up that will, from emissions free. Or go lipo.

If you have few hills, then go with 36v 15 ah, which perhaps can be crammed into the battery box space, and the HS motor. 20-25 amps controller if you go with ping.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. :D
OK, Option 1: I am thinking of going with my original motor choice HS3540 and a sensored controller. With Cell_Man’s 48v 15A custom battery pack to fit my EVG’s battery compartment. Then mounting my controller on the rear rack.

Option 2: A Cell_Man Mac Kit. I have read that the geared hubs can be less reliable. I intend to ride at reasonable speeds and not abuse my bike. What are everyone’s thoughts on powering my EVG with a Cell_Man Mac Kit?
Thanks

I mounted Lyen 12fet controller inside the frame.

DSC05239.jpg

I hope I am not being to annoying with all of my noob questions.
I could use some advice/suggestions. Does anyone think this maybe better option for upgrading my EVG bike?
Cell_Man Quote:
Mac Speed Kit    1    26", Upgraded Mac ?T, 9 fet 3077, half twist,
ebrakes    383    383   
12S 20Ah Pack    1        590    590   
36V 5A charger    1        55    55   
Total Parts Cost =        1028    USD       
Shipping Cost (Shipments with battery):                   
DHL Battery Shipment    220    USD  
I like the idea of getting a complete kit from one respected and trusted vender.
Thanks

Striped down my evg today. Hoping to sell the original 24v controller and heinzmann hub motor on flea bay?

Attachments

• EVG.jpg
    EVG.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,694
John in CR said:
Get the motor in a 20" wheel. FYI the HT is NOT higher torque. It IS slower, so if you have hills or mostly stop-n-go riding then it's the choice, otherwise it isn't. With either a 20" wheel or smaller is best, and it's even more important for those of us well above 200lb.

John
Torque= Power/Speed
At the same power, the HT is torquier than the HS since it runs slower.
Btw, a friend of mine run a very slow winding (5*12 ninecontinent) in a 24" rim @100V 45A and I run my HS in a 20" rim @ 90V 60A and he beats me easily. :mrgreen:

Hi John,
Thanks for the wheel size suggestions. I can not make a decision, which motor or battery choice? I have too many options and too little knowledge!
I noticed you are from Paris, it is beautiful city. I have been to Paris twice. What are the ebike laws like in paris? Do the police ever stop you? When I was young I owned a Citroen traction avant, everyone would ask me about my Citron. Citron's were a rare site in New York 8)
Best, Pierce

Hi all,
Could anyone help get me started with a good lipo option for my bike? I need a simple, safe charging solution also. I am aware of the fire hazards of using lipo, I plan to charge outside with a smart programable charger.
Thanks

Back