EVG ebike 24V, just purchase, need help to get running

ejim

1 µW
Hi, New to forum. I just bought a EVG 24 V base model b1010 at an auction, tried to charge battery, no luck. The green light is on while the charger is running. I found in paperwork with the bike a letter requesting replacements for faulty battery and circuit board that the bike was a lemon. I also found information from ebike that some bikes should replace their power module and logic module if they have excessive parasitic battery drain. Anyone hear of this? Any help to get it running would be appreciated. Where is a good place to get batteries. Thanks!

I don't know that very bike, but I've had quite a few of the rejects from the stores and lemons people couldn't get going, every single one has been minor. The green light on just means that the power reaches the green light while you're charging. The bad batteries I've found have had loose or corroded connections on brand new bikes, bad fuses, you pull it apart and you can SEE the problem about every time. This bad module might not be hooked up right, I've seen it. When it's fixed it charges right up. Oh, sometimes there's this HIDDEN on/off switch for the battery, not necessarily labeled and I'm the first to find it. (One store dumped I think 14 for around $20 each because of this.) I've been told "I have (CXX) training in electric vehicles and that controller is bad. . . ." but the controller works fine for me when I get that broken wire at the controller fixed.

The one thing with anything defective from China, you gotta be patient. It's real easy to throw up your hands, but that's how they become available for $20, people get too flustered to fix even little things.

Not half bad looking a bike.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14417&start=15

the battery case contains 2 12 volt 12 amp hour sealed lead acid batteries wired in series. there is also a 40 amp(?) fuse inside. The batteries are pretty standard and available from almost any dealer. The green light on the charger indicates full charge, it shows as red while charging.

It could be as simple as replacing a fuse, or wiggling a connector on a main wire.

Get a voltmeter, and check the voltage of the battery pack. There should be two big contacts on the bottom of the battery box once you remove it from the bike. Replacing the two 12 ah sla's inside the box should be fairly easy.

To test just the motor, you put a 12v battery in contact with the two big thick wires that go to the motor. If the motor spins, it's good. It's a brushed Heinzmann motor. There is also two thin wires to the motor that go to a temperature switch. This turns off the bike if the motor is about to overheat. Any cut or loss of contact in those two wires will keep the motor from running.

Original controllers for this bike are hard to find now, but worst case senario is that you have to replace the controller and the throttle with generic ones. Then rig up a new switch for the lights if you want to keep em.

Where to get batteries? Well, you could drive to Las Cruces NM, and buy some in the walmart. I wonder how long a drive that woudl be? You could be in Australia, or China, or Europe. The generic answer is that shipping sla's is costly, so look for a battery retailer that ships from close as possible to where in the world you live.

Sorry, if the sarcasm was heavy, but some of us are getting pretty tired of guessing which retailer is on your continent.

Back