EXESS HP-E180 Bafang Ultra Max Enduro bike

HK12K said:
If you gave a chimpanzee half the asking price I bet they could cobble together something faster and with better range.

Why buy a Lambo with an 80HP engine.
Makes no sense.

Sure them $8K ebikes look like the shits giggles, but wimpy power is chump. People with money dont care.

The base EXESS HP-E180 isn't so bad. Not many FS bikes with Ultra under 60 pounds. Compare the specs to the Frey EX. Add Magura MT7 and a carbon frame. I don't think it's unreasonable to think Frey might charge $5K shipped for a similarly spec'd bike if they offered a carbon frame, which they don't. Now add the upgraded controller which is a game changer. Nobody else is offering it yet. You can buy a $5K Ultra from Luna with substandard torque sensing and power delivery, shrug.

When compared with the traditional name brand bikes, no, the prices really don't seem terribly shocking for what you get. On the flipside however my bike will put out 14kw, do 80kph before even turning on field weakening, with double the capacity and room for 4x more... and I sure as heck didn't spend 10k+ CAD for the privilege. Not that they're particularly comparable bikes, but still.

But as they say, different strokes for different folks.

I do very much wonder if they'll be able to get parts for the Ultra. That seems to have been an issue up until now as far I can recall hearing, but I'd hope they would have come to some agreement.

I don't mean to sound like I'm poo-pooing the thing. It looks to be a nice piece of kit and I'm sure it's an absolute blast, but the price and the size of the pack really do have me cringing a bit.

Speaking of the pack, do they disclose what cells are in there?

For WW, I assume it's similar to the spare they offer.

https://wattwagons.com/products/archon-x1-3000w-compatible-shark-52v-14ah-battery-including-5a-charger-shipping-may-2020

728 watt hours, 50amp continuous BMS
LG HG2 cells, 52v 14ah 14s6p

HK12K said:
Frankly, if I'm spending $8500 on a bike I'd probably just go and finance a Zero. You're right though, bicycle pricea are absolutely egregious, and that's not even considering the powered models. I could afford it outright, I just don't see the value.

Why an electric motorcycle, when a gas motorcycle would be a better purchase price wise as a tank of gas would fill to $20 and get you how many 100's of distance units. Sure the Zero, instant torque, but worrying about range if its an issue with Zero. How far can it go. Go gas then.

$3k nice diy ebike
$5k gas motorcycle

Joe, did you upgrade to manitou fork and If so, why did you choose it?
[/quote]

No, I bought a frameset.....frame, shock & motor. I put on a 180mm Lyrik fork.

markz said:
HK12K said:
Frankly, if I'm spending $8500 on a bike I'd probably just go and finance a Zero. You're right though, bicycle pricea are absolutely egregious, and that's not even considering the powered models. I could afford it outright, I just don't see the value.

Why an electric motorcycle, when a gas motorcycle would be a better purchase price wise as a tank of gas would fill to $20 and get you how many 100's of distance units. Sure the Zero, instant torque, but worrying about range if its an issue with Zero. How far can it go. Go gas then.

$3k nice diy ebike
$5k gas motorcycle

So I can yank the fairings, add pedals, and be king of the mixed use paths of course! Jk, lol.

joe would love to hear more about the exess bike

i am going to put the archon in my wattwagon next month, you have had the stock ultra and the archon now, correct?

how much of a difference in smoothness of the pas and efficiency are you seeing?

Yes, I had the original controller last year & have had the new Archon/Exess controller for the last 2 months.

The smoothness & power are a significant improvement. While the original controller was quite satisfactory, the new one is a revelation. I ride on trails that vary from relatively slow to about a 30 mph max. speed at places & the pas is seamless with almost no overrun. The power increase is stunning. There is an urgency to accelerate under light loads that wasn't there with the Exess controller.

There is absolutely no comparison to a standard Bosch/Specialized/Shimano 250w/500W bike. The new controller in ECO 2 is MUCH more powerful & all the SPORT settings are ridiculously fast. Like I have said before, this is not a bike for tight trails or for a novice rider..it is weapon to go FAST & to ride with your friends on mainstream ebikes, you'd be wasting your money.

Efficiency...that's a tough call. At the same time I started riding the new controller, I mounted a 21ah battery. Last year, with a 14.5ah battery I could drain it to about 20% in about 1.5 hrs (15 -18 miles). With the new battery/controller, at the same distance I'm now at about 50% - 60% & I feel I can do about 40 fast miles on a full battery. Of course, I'm going faster than before as well.

The Exess bike itself is a very competent enduro bike in its own right with geometry well able to cope with the power. Getting on it after work is the highlight of my day & the concentration required to avoid close up tree inspections is a great stress reliever. I rode pedal mtbs for many years & the riding was at its heart mostly about fitness. The more you rode, the fitter you got & the faster you could ride. This is just about the joy of riding.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up

mine should be done next month, that’s the plan right now and I will do a write up on how mine is doing on the wattwagon

I have over 1000 miles on the stock now and will probably have 1300 at least by the time we change it so for my bike I should have some good feedback on if there is an efficiency change etc.

Excited to get this done

Joe, what version of the Exess controller do you have? 1000W or 2300W? Just wondering how much of the increase in power at PAS 2 has to do with the nominal rating. My understanding is the 2300W version can be tuned back to 1000W if desired. I personally don't have any desire for more power on my Ultra, just want the other benefits. Looks like Watt Wagons is offering upgrades now.

https://wattwagons.com/pages/archon-x1-controller

I have the 2300w version. I suggest you talk to Pushkar re: 1000w version.

Just curious...if you only want 1000w why not get the Bafang M500 or M600 which are lighter motors capable of delivering that power level with a wider variety of frame options?

I have a M600, it's closer to 500W nominal. It has about half the power of my 1000W Ultra. Also, the M600 can't be programmed by the user and I'm not enamored with the torque sensing.

Can you clarify on programming, do you have any ability to tune the 2300W settings? Just curious what Exess provided. I ended up ordering a 2300W upgrade from Watt Wagons for my Frey CC and will report back. I will be able to program it down to 1000W or 750W so figured it was worth investing a little more to have flexibility and offer feedback to others, plus I think development of this controller is important so happy to support it.

Until I saw the video you posted from Watt Wagons I wasn't aware that the new controller was programmable by the end user. I don't see any need for my use.

On my "smell the roses" days I use ECO 2 or 3 & the days I wish to get rowdy, I use Sport 1 or 2.

This thread seems to have gone cold this year and there is not much happening on the Exess website, everything seems to be 2019- Does anyone have any updates on the company or the bikes?

Back