• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Ezip izip Currie AL trails to modify uk

Ginettaman

1 µW
Hi, I'm a new member and new to e bikes and want to learn not just fork out lots of money for expensive ebikes. I've bought a vintage lead acid 24v brushed motor bike to play with and get working. I've bought new batteries and fixed a broken throttle and it worked but it's very slow. I've found a larger motor sprocket from China but sadly that just reduced torque although it's a little quicker. After a few rides it's broken sadly. When I switch the rocker switch on the motor suddenly starts and shoots the bike forward for a split second. It has also blown several fuses so I've been told a Mosfet in the controller may have blown? As such I've found a shorted irf3205 mosfet so I've ordered some replacements to try. I'm now awaiting the mosfets but not sure if the others are they same type as I can't read the faint print on them. 4 in total.
I like the idea of trying to get the bike to go a little faster and maybe get the motor to have a freewheel? I understand the bikes are more common in the US so hope to learn from what other have done to improve the old ebikes? I can't really justify lithium unless I can get it running better.

This sounds like a Currie Ezip with the external motor with chain drive.

Look up Drkangle, pretty complete and thorough rundown on how to mod these, a little over 20 mph is about all you will get and must assist heavily up hills if you do the speed mod. He is an excellent source of info on these kits. No longer manufactured.

You may also want to look up latecurtis and note his builds, then do not do ANYTHING the way he did it.

Back