• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Ezip trailz modification to 36v 10ah

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/36v10plnplba.html

So i just bought the above battery for my eZip men's Trails, I purchased from a seperate site, Amazon, for just under $100. The 24v manufacture battery is wearing out. I would like a lithium battery but it's cost makes it unattainable. Will this work with my bike with a new 36v controller and throttle?

I'm pretty sure I need a new controller and throttle but I'm not positive. Does anyone have any ideas? I thought that the ones from the following link were affordable, but I'm not sure if they are compatible with the battery because of the 30ah max???, I'm really not sure:
http://www.thesuperkids.com/36vo5twth36v.html

Obviously cost is an issue. Will that setup work with the ezip 400 W motor? Any other deals out there that would work for my situation?

There are a number of threads about ezips and modifications/upgrades, you might want to check them out and see if they have your answers.

A question I have in return, though: Why would you buy something before you know if it will work on your setup?

amberwolf said:
There are a number of threads about ezips and modifications/upgrades, you might want to check them out and see if they have your answers.

A question I have in return, though: Why would you buy something before you know if it will work on your setup?

I bought it because it was so cheap. Also if I want it can just take out 2 of the 3 batteries and replace the 2 OEM batteries in my plastic case. But I want to go faster. That's why I bought it. . . It's my impression that more volts equals more power equals more speed. . . so thanks for directing me to the ezip links and being really amiable about it.

I have an eZip trailz 2011.

I am getting a 36v 10a battery (SLA, i know but I'm short on $). I know I need a new controller at 36volt but the questions is what amperage controller do I need for the new battery? Also will the throttle work at all or will it deliver power but the indicator light won't work? So do I need a new throttle or will the current throttle suffice?

Thanks!

(moderator edit: merged your new thread with your original thread about the same conversion. Please dont' start multiple threads about the same issue; it makes it difficult for anyone to help you as they have to find info about what's been asked and answered in multiple places, or waste time/effort of all parties re-asking/answering the same things).

Good luck on this. I have an e-Zip Trailz as well. I can't be much help to as I'm just not all that savvy on the technical details of e-motors. (but I keep on trying to learn)

Still, I'll offer what advice I can.

I'd just stick with 24 volts, myself. 12 volt/10 amp-hr batteries can be found pretty cheap. I've spotted pairs for as little as $50-55 on ebay. 36 volts would get you more speed (I think), but at the cost of dealing with unfamiliar hardware that might or might not even work.

DarkAngel's threads are a great place to look for info. (My hat's off to him) I do find, though, that they tend to be a bit more technical than I can easily deal with. But I keep coming back and reading in the hope of gaining a bit more knowledge. The downside is that this eats up a lot of calendar. But if you just stuck with the stock set-up while investing the time it takes to learn, then that's liable to be your best way. You'll still have a working e-bike until the day comes that you don't have to ask whether a controller you're considering will work or not.

Have fun.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/36v10plnplba.html

Just purchased this battery and a charger and I'm upgrading from 24 to 36 even if it's SLA. I have an Ezip trailz 2011 with 450 Watt motor. I know I need a new controller. Should I get a 36 volt 25a controller or a 36 volt 30a controller? Will it make a big difference or cut out more or something like that?

It is my understanding that the stock 24 volt throttle is compatible with everything minus the indicator light, is this correct?

Thanks any help and or links are much appreciated.

(moderator edit: merged your second new thread with your original thread about the same conversion. Please stop creating new threads for this. If people have advice for you, they will post it if you are patient. if you can't wait for answers, simply bump your original thread by posting in it again.)

Since that is a set of three lead acid batteries, if nothing else you can just remove one of them in the meantime, till you sort out what to do.

I am also not expert enough to tell you much about the Ezips, but in general, 20-30 amps would be the max I'd try to pull out of that battery even for very brief periods. In lead, a 10 ah battery is very very small. If you put a very big controller on it and ride fast, you'll just murder the battery fairly quick.

It's basicly intended for use at less than 400w. 400w will just get you to 20 mph cruising for most ebikes. So for that small battery to take you far, you'll need to use it at 200w, traveling 15 mph or so.

So what I'm trying to say is, though you can put a 36v 20 amp controller on that bike, pulling the full 720 watts it can provide won't be kind to that size battery.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ezip-Trailz-Men-s-Electric-Bike/15773448 I see this is not the hubmotor zip bike, but the currie motor type. Can't you buy various strength motors for these?

Digging a little, I now see that like I thought, this is a brushed motor.

So you are looking for a 36v brushed controller of about 500w max. Some of the sites, like superkids, seemed to say thier brushless controller would match the Ezip trails motor. You need a brushed controller for sure.

Back