48v vs. 36v integration/duality

RayD8r

10 µW
Greetings, new member here who's still a bit confused. I bought an e-bike conversion kit for my mtb. It specifies a 48v 13ah battery with integrated controller, 500watt brushless motor (750 watt peak).
  • Integrated Controller:Sine wave controller,JYT brand,Low voltage protection: 39V, Rated current: 10A, Max. current: 20A. Waterproof connecters: motor, PAS sensor, and 4 in 1 cable.
  • 48V13Ah Hailong battery: controller inside,with 30A BMS,Charging Fuse 10A and Discharging Fuse 50A,Long Life 1000+cycles,High Power cells With Power Switch,USB port,Safety lock,LED Battery Level Light
  • LED display:LED display with speed/PAS/battery indicator; Cable: 30cm W/O connector. 5 Assist levels, and 6km/h traction with holding Down Button; IP65; Size: L58mm*W28mm*H44mm
  • PAS Sensor(Left installation):Cable:53cm W/O connector 8 signals output Model: BZ-4(8)
  • Brake Lever:Wuxing Brand, with immediate interruption of the power. Cable:30cm W/O connector.
  • Throttle:Wuxing Brand,Thumb throttle. Cable:30cm W/O connector.
  • Waterproof Connection cable (4 in 1):4 in 1 waterproof connectors(quick release) Cable:150cm W/O connectors.
These are the specs from the listing. I have found a super deal on 36v batteries @ $16 each. Can't find any 48v battery deals anywhere near that cheap and would like to have a spare battery. I have done a bit of reading on how these things work and my understanding so far is that I would need a 36v controller to use a 36v battery. My question is, If I buy 36v batteries and a controller, will it work with the rest of the components? I understand that the motor should be fine, I just won't get as much power from it, which is fine. I'm not a heavy guy and the hills I usually have to go up aren't super steep. Correct that if it's wrong. I'm curious about the throttle, brake cutoffs, PAS sensor, wiring, etc.

I will be using PAS mode most often, probably 90% of the time I'm using the motor at all. I only want this to help me up hills, the rest of the time it will be off

I have also read that, I think(?) there are controllers that will work with either voltage or both but not clear on that however would be ideal so long as what I need wouldn't run more than another 48v battery. Thanks in advance for any advise.

If you can make the necessary changes to get a 36V controller and battery to work, it will have 25% less power and 25% less top speed.

A $16 ebike battery will be very unsatisfying, with many problems

It's on clearance, closeout whatever but it's normally $129 and there are only a few left.

I appreciate the concern but my question isn't about the quality of the battery, I'm looking for information on what I would need for a specific controller and if it will work with the wiring and other controls on the kit I have.

I am able to solder connections on the wiring if need be in case the actual connectors aren't compatible and I am also able up make any connections I make myself water tight.

Last edited:
OK, I see where this is going. Another forum where a person can't just get an answer to the question they asked. I used to rely on forums as a resource for decent information when I have questions but something changed a few years ago. At first I thought it was an isolated thing but then it just kept spreading and now it's across the board. It figures, noting that's good can stay that way. As soon as the goons find out about it and word goes around, out the window goes the helpfulness and in comes the flood of nonsense. The few newsgroups that have a place to be are now ridiculously expensive for what they are and are probably also riddled with bs and jokers and people who don't know what they're talking about and others that can't answer a simple question without analyzing every possible detail but doesn't even come close to answering anything that was asked. If everybody is expected to know everything, than what, exactly is the purpose of these forums anyway? Just for a bunch of know it alls to throw information that they all supposedly know already around? And if it's all about reading other threads that have already been discussed, there should be a much better organizing and indexing system than just a search box, especially if you expect people to "donate" or "contribute". People who pay for knowledge at least have a structured and organized system to access for such knowledge. If we have to pay for it and work to find it, isn't that a little much to expect? Whatever, I'll figure it out on my own, just as I have for the last few years since forums went to $#1+.

Guess I should have just Googled it. Pretty simple, all I need is a dual voltage controller. They run from $30 ish and up, the one for my specs is between $40 to $65. Maybe I don't need to bother you forum snobs anymore, just be a bit more creative with my Google search terms.

OK, I see where this is going. Another forum where a person can't just get an answer to the question they asked. I used to rely on forums as a resource for decent information when I have questions but something changed a few years ago. At first I thought it was an isolated thing but then it just kept spreading and now it's across the board. It figures, noting that's good can stay that way. As soon as the goons find out about it and word goes around, out the window goes the helpfulness and in comes the flood of nonsense. The few newsgroups that have a place to be are now ridiculously expensive for what they are and are probably also riddled with bs and jokers and people who don't know what they're talking about and others that can't answer a simple question without analyzing every possible detail but doesn't even come close to answering anything that was asked. If everybody is expected to know everything, than what, exactly is the purpose of these forums anyway? Just for a bunch of know it alls to throw information that they all supposedly know already around? And if it's all about reading other threads that have already been discussed, there should be a much better organizing and indexing system than just a search box, especially if you expect people to "donate" or "contribute". People who pay for knowledge at least have a structured and organized system to access for such knowledge. If we have to pay for it and work to find it, isn't that a little much to expect? Whatever, I'll figure it out on my own, just as I have for the last few years since forums went to $#1+.
i completely agree. most days i dont bother posting whatsoever because the egotistical jerks ( everywhere on the net, not just here ) are always there to correct something, anything. before i read your second posted i was going to suggest exactly that. on the other hand, if you manage to track down a 48-72v controller, you could link 2 or 4 of those 36v batteries together to make 72v (i.e. 2S or 2S2P ) and over-volt the piss out of your motor and possibly burn it up. Good news would be that youd have a lot of fun and it would be fast as sh&T until then. Rock on..

Back