Fatal Flaw in Chinese LiFePO4 chargers

oatnet

1 MW
All of the LiFe packs I bought have come with what I call the "Flintstones Charger" - the big white plastic 1950's-looking charger with 8 - 12 subchargers inside. I got two more of them with the individual LiFe Cells I bought from Andy/FalconEV, so I have been looking more closely at how they are wired. I think I have found a serious design/implementation flaw with them, but need someone smarter to confirm it.

These Packs are charged with a single positive lead and (12) negative leads. Each charger has up to (12) individual-cell subchargers, each with dedicated '+' and '-' solder-points. However, only the '-' has a wire soldered to it, running to the '-' pole on each cell. The circuit is completed with a single wire from the 1st subcharger's '+' solder point to the packs '+' main discharge lead.

This single '+' lead is what disturbs me. I think that means the subcharger furthest from the '+' lead is actually charging 12 cells in serial, the next one 11 cells, and so on. I also think the cell closest to the '+' lead is getting too much current from all 12 subchargers, and thereby overcharged even when its sub-charger shuts off.

Am I correct in thinking this is way wrong? That both terminals of each cell should be connected to a dedicated subcharger? I can't imagine how a pack could ever be 'balanced' like this, and it certainly explains why it takes SOOoooo long to charge a pack.

Unfortunately, I think that the charger would short if both terminals are wired AND the cells were wired into a string. I wired (2) cells to (2) subchargers using both the '+' and '-' solder points, and they each saw @3.7v, so those charging points work. When I emulate wiring them together in a string by putting a multimeter between the '+' of one cell and '-' of the next, I see 7.4v, so they are not electrically isolated.

My spectulation: these chargers were designed to be combined with a discharge BMS. Instead of being wired into a serial string, each cell should be independently wired to the charge and discharge BMS's, and the discharge BMS would sum the cells to produce 42v. When the discharge BMS's failed (they are crap), chinese pack builders decided to wire the cells in series. When they found out that shorted the charger, they adapted it to the current wiring scheme, and figured the stable LiFePO4 chemistry would suck up the abuse in the short term. When the charging abuse starts to fail cells, the consumer has had the pack long enough for the root cause to be murky.

My current plan is to wire both terminals from each battery to a 24 pin connector using 10ga wiring. I'll build two matching 24-pin connectors, one that pulls both terminals from the charger to connect each cell, and another that connects the cells in a string and has +/- leads at each end. That means I need to build (6) 24-pin connectors for a 72v (84v) pack - ouch.

-JD

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2557

Hey JD.. yep... those chargers SUCK..... :evil:

My solution ( or hopefull solution ) is to use dedicated chargers for each cell, and aparently my schematic should work, i'll let you know by thursday if it does ( might get it done tonight.. but time is short )

I suspect the crap chargers use some resistor arrangement to reduce 1, 2, 3, 4, cell from the series arrangement without having leads to each + and - terminal, but i do not know for sure...

Sorry to hear it, the yesa pack didnt have this charging setup... (luckily)

just a single charger for the 36v pack.

Its highly possible *cough* probably *cough* that they are poorly designed.

We need someone to design hardy chargers that are light, smallish and can be transported with the pack - for commuting and charging at our destinations.

Hi Guys,

Yes they are sh*te. I have two sitting on my bench for the last two weeks.

I am fortunate to have an electronics design engineer for a farther-in-law, Ray, and his opinion was "that's the sort of thing we would have done in the 70's!".

One was rattling when it arrived and I haven't been brave enough to put the packs on our test rig until Ray has the time to backward engineer the charger and BMS to see if it will even work. I may just strip out the cells and build a 72V 20Ah pack and uses Gary's LVC board and a balance charger, to charge the cells individually.

Or, alternatively, chuck it all in the bin :oops:

Ian

ChopperMan said:
I may just strip out the cells and build a 72V 20Ah pack and uses Gary's LVC board and a balance charger, to charge the cells individually.

Can you tell me more about this LVC board/balance charger? I am eager for a different solution.

-JD

As usual, I wrote too much in my example above and muddied my question. Here is a diagram of the charger/36vpack setup - can anyone confirm that as-built:

1) The subcharger furthest from the single positive lead will drop a single-cell charge of 3.7v across the entire 42v pack, resulting in very very very slow charging for that cell.

2) The the cell closest to the positive lead will be charged by all 12 sub-chargers. As a result it is charging at too high a rate, as well as getting a flow of negative ions long after its own sub-charger has shut down, resulting in overcharging.

-JD

Attachments

• bad_chargers.jpg
    bad_chargers.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,212
I can't for the life of me see how this could work. What I did was use ten of the chargers ypedal found at VoltPhreaks, and then wired them into two standard RC-type balancer plugs:

10-cell%20a123%20Charger-Balancer.jpg

Eachof these charger outputs are wired in series, but each jucntion between the positive of one and the negative of the next one, is connected to each cell junction, so the end result is that each cell is independently charged to about 3.7V.

-- Gary

ChopperMan said:
Just had a look at the VoltPeak chargers. I will need 24 chargers and they will take 10 hours to do the 72V 20Ah pack. And at $230 plus shipping to the UK, not really a viable option :(

I agree, at 2A, it would take awhile. What we need to do is to scale up this concept to at least 10A. Either that or have a "smart" charger that can monitor/charge each cell/cell block, and shut it off when full.

Thanks for the recommendation Gaston, I remember when you ordered the individual chargers. I like the idea and may end up there, but that adds $300/pack. Besides, I already have a stack of chargers that may be functional when wired as designed, not as basterdized.

The 12-individual-charger solution is pretty much the same design as the Flintstone chargers - except that the individual chargers are isolated so they can be used in a series pack. I originally planned on wiring a flintstone the same way you are, until I saw 7v when I dropped a multimeter between two cells.

GGoodrum said:
I can't for the life of me see how this could work.
-- Gary

I know what you mean - this looks ridiculous to me and I am no wizard. It actually does charge packs, but it takes a looooong time and (I believe) damages cells.

-JD

I know it ain't pretty, and i sure as hell don't like it, but at least it should " work " for now until i find something better. :(

My 2nd plan is to find a big heavy regulated power supply to dump big-amps into the pack for bulk charge, and then use the single cell chargers to ballance the end of charge.

oatnet said:
As usual, I wrote too much in my example above and muddied my question. Here is a diagram of the charger/36vpack setup - can anyone confirm that as-built:

1) The subcharger furthest from the single positive lead will drop a single-cell charge of 3.7v across the entire 42v pack, resulting in very very very slow charging for that cell.

2) The the cell closest to the positive lead will be charged by all 12 sub-chargers. As a result it is charging at too high a rate, as well as getting a flow of negative ions long after its own sub-charger has shut down, resulting in overcharging.

-JD

It should be reconnected as :

Attachments

• bad_chargers_101 mod.jpg
    bad_chargers_101 mod.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,161
Ypedal said:
My 2nd plan is to find a big heavy regulated power supply to dump big-amps into the pack for bulk charge, and then use the single cell chargers to ballance the end of charge.

This is actually what I do, if I'm in a hurry. I can get the packs to about 80-85% with SLA chargers, and then switch to this to top them off. Most days I have plenty of time, and I don't usually fully deplete the packs. Also, it is pretty convenient not having to do to unhook anything from the bike. :)

-- Gary

The7 said:
It should be reconnected as :

That would work on separate, isolated chargers like Gastons, but this would tie the subcharger's positive and negative leads together and short it (hence the 7.4v of current on a multimeter between two charging cells). All 12 subchargers are located on the same PCB so reconnection is not an option... About all I have to work with is a '+' and '-' solder point on each subcharger; connecting these directly to individual batteries is fine, but when the individual batteries are connected in series, battery #12's negative shorts to battery #11's positive, #11 to #10, etc.

Ypedal said:
I know it ain't pretty,

Oh hey Gaston, I was not knocking your solution! I'm just cheap and trying to make something of these chargers, since that is what everyone seems to be getting with the Chinese LiFe. If the problem is only that they are miswired and they work when wired correctly, I'd be happy.

Can you post a lid-off picture of your charger that blows the fuse each time, from the side of the ? I'd be interested to see how it was wired.

Hmmm... I wonder if I get 42v between sub charger 1 '-' and sub charger 12 '+', and just charge the whole string. I'll have to test that later.

-JD

I'm not so sure the yesa chargers are great as there's is only one wire in one wire out, the full charge is series conected causing the closest cells to charge at a higher rate than the last cell, hopefully this Life stuff is robust but it seems to me they charge no differently than sla, I've had cells bubbling!!

:( what the heck do us people who are non electronic engineers do when we want to ballance our cells?
You guys scare me when talkin bout chargers not work'n like they should.
Think I'll check each cell with my trusty multimeter.

one black wire and 12 red ones

If hooked up correctly final charge is 44V and 3.65V per cell

what the heck do us people who are non electronic engineers do when we want to ballance our cells?
I've been thinking of buying a couple of these for a 12s pack: http://www.astroflight.com/store/st...oducts:af-106-123&sid=0001QavhGJGP9yoVRE8O2Q7
I know they get good reviews from the RC crowd.
What I'd like to know is could I use a pair of these while charging a 12s pack with three 12V/3.5A lead-acid battery chargers? This would make a relatively cheap charging/balancing combination.
The chargers are three-stage, charging at 14.8V and floating at 13.8.
14.8V is perfect for four A123 or LifeBatt cells. I'm not sure though whether I would need to watch the cells when they near the end of the charge. I would guess that once the chargers switch to the float stage there is no risk of overcharging LiFe cells, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. Can anyone confirm or tell me I'm hopelessly misguided (Gary??)

http://www.slkelectronics.com/lipodapter/index.htm

One of these will take care of the endcharge cutoff...

green hornet said:
one black wire and 12 red ones - If hooked up correctly final charge is 44V and 3.65V per cell

Hi Andy!

I haven't cracked the chargers I got from you yet, in your photo it does appear it is using the '+' terminal instead of the '-' one on my other chargers. On the long-cell 2c prisimatic LiFe, they were only charging to 42v - I haven't built the packs using your 5c stubby prismatic cells yet.

However, look at the charger furthest from the '-' pole in your diagram. There are (12) batteries in serial between the charger's positive lead and the 13th-wire negative lead - that means the one charger is seeing a 42v load and applying a 3.7v charge to it, so it takes a LOOONG time to charge that cell. Conversly, the cell closest to the negative lead is getting current from all 12 chargers:

1/12th of 3.7v from the 12th subcharger
1/11th of 3.7v from the 11th subcharger
1/10th of 3.7v from the 10th subcharger
1/9th of 3.7v from the 9th subcharger
1/8th of 3.7v from the 8th subcharger
1/7th of 3.7v from the 7th subcharger
1/6th of 3.7v from the 6th subcharger
1/5th of 3.7v from the 5th subcharger
1/4th of 3.7v from the 4th subcharger
1/3th of 3.7v from the 3rd subcharger
1/2th of 3.7v from the 2nd subcharger
100% of 3.7v from the 1st subcharger

As you can see, the some of all those series charges adds up to far more current than the cell is intended to recieve - the first 3 chargers alone double the charging current to cell #1. In addition, when the battery #1 is charged and subcharger #1 cuts out, it continues to recieve current from chargers #2 - #12 because it is still in series with them.

So I would contend (with my limited skills) that cells closest to the negative pole are subjected to charging at too high a rate, as well as overcharging long after the battery is full. I also contend that these abuses will reduce cycle life, perhaps dramatically and catostrophically.

-JD

I dont have an EE degree to answer your Q. All i know is, all cells measured the same V when charging was finished.

Back