Favourite high power hub motor?

Let me know what you find AFTER you do the comparison.

I didn't artificially limit anything, just fed them the same.
Me too. The MAC only lasted 20 seconds when fed the same as the Cromotor, but torque difference is negligible.

Me too. The MAC only lasted 20 seconds when fed the same as the Cromotor, but torque difference is negligible.
We may just be in violent agreement :). At 120A Battery, 360A Phase, 72v I agree with you the torque difference is negligible and the MAC will over heat very quickly but the MAC does still it does actually produce more torquestill .

A battery/BMS that can supply that kind of power, a controller to match, and Phase wires that can handle it are not real common IMO. Nonetheless, the MAC can NOT handle high power levels for a long time without over heating. Using the parameters that my equipment can provide (55A Battery, 220A Phase, and 52v). The MAC has a noticable advantage in torque and does not over heat on level ground:

Although I modeled an 8T MAC, I would not recomend the 8T or the 6T MAC unless you are going to put them in a small diameter wheel. The 10T in a 26" wheel and running it on a 52v battery works pretty good.

I apologize for disrupting the discussion on "Favourite high power hub motor?" so now back to your regularly scheduled program :).

Although I modeled an 8T MAC, I would not recomend the 8T or the 6T MAC unless you are going to put them in a small diameter wheel. The 10T in a 26" wheel and running it on a 52v battery works pretty good.
I'd get a geared hub if I lived in a less hilly environment, to take advantage of its pros, but I know I'd probably kill it in a few rides here. If they can come up with a way to shed heat, that would be a game changer.

I'd get a geared hub if I lived in a less hilly environment, to take advantage of its pros, but I know I'd probably kill it in a few rides here. If they can come up with a way to shed heat, that would be a game changer.

In my MAC, I used distilled water and added Motul MoCool for corrosion protection. Worked great and it wasn't slippery if any leaked on the rear brake rotor.

Prior to the water, I tried low viscosity ATF. It cooled great but I got a tiny amount on my rear rotor and it made it feel like my bike sped up when I applied the brakes.

For a MAC, about 4.5-5.0 ounces is what you need to thermally connect the stator to the housing. A good bit less should work for a DD hub motor.

But in the long run, I chose to not run ANY cooling fluid and put my 10T MAC in a smaller/26" wheel. One nice thing about a MAC is you can change the motor from one wheel to another by just buying an extra shell/housing and lacing it to a different wheel. Back when EM3ev was selling the MAC, I bought a few extra housings and had them lace one to a 26", 27.5", and 29" rims so I can go back and forth depending on what size tire I want to run. My 12T MAC usually goes in the 29" wheel and my 10T usually goes in the 27.5" wheel with a Schwalbe Super Moto-X 27.5x2.8" tire.

When I use the 26" wheel, I run a 26x3.0" Duro Beach Cruiser tire: https://www.amazon.com/Alta-Bicycle...locphy=9011660&hvtargid=pla-673067767644&th=1.

For the 29" wheel, I use a Maxxis DHR II 29x3.0" or a Maxxis Hookworm 29x2.5". The DHR II works great on the pavement but it does wear a little quicker than the other tires I mentioned.

The tires above can be used with any motor. In addition, Schwalbe offers the "Pick Up" that is designed for Cargo bikes so it is pretty tough but the widest size is a 2.6". I have not had good luck with Vee Tires...a couple came apart and a couple got punctured fairly easily...they would probably be OK on a bike without a motor :).

Below is a link to an article written by "Spinningmagnets" that gives info on five relatively high power DD motors that could be used. Not a lot has changed since he wrote it :).

Has anyone had any experience with the Crystalyte H55 series of motors?

It looks like they have a 205mm diameter stator that is 55mm wide and they will supposedly fit in 135mm dropouts:

They come in the "Stealth" B52 and H52...I think :).

I just received the "Leaf" 26" Wide Rim 48/52v kit I ordered. I went with the Leaf because it should have enough copper mass to keep it from easily over heating but at the same time not make the weight distribution front to rear as bad as a big Direct Drive Hub Motor like the QS205/Cromotor/MXUS 3K/etc.

In addition to the torque a MAC produces I sure do like the light weight because with my 14s6p battery mounted in the bike's triangle, the weight distribution is fairly close to 50:50 front to rear so the handling is pretty sweet.

We'll see how well the same bike handles after I get the Leaf kit installed and use the same battery.

Does anybody have any experience with the Crystalyte H5580/H55100 motors?

The H55100 is looking very interesting...135mm OLD and a 55mm stator. I may have to try one after my "Leaf" experiment :).

I just received the "Leaf" 26" Wide Rim 48/52v kit I ordered. I went with the Leaf because it should have enough copper mass to keep it from easily over heating but at the same time not make the weight distribution front to rear as bad as a big Direct Drive Hub Motor like the QS205/Cromotor/MXUS 3K/etc.

In addition to the torque a MAC produces I sure do like the light weight because with my 14s6p battery mounted in the bike's triangle, the weight distribution is fairly close to 50:50 front to rear so the handling is pretty sweet.

We'll see how well the same bike handles after I get the Leaf kit installed and use the same battery.

Have fun bro!

People with ferrofluid have thrashed that thing beyond 8kw by this point and it lived to tell the tale.
I could do 10 mile stretches of 45mph continuous with my vented motor... ferrofluid would be better than that.. probably sustain that perpetually.

Feed it over 60 amps for a good time and don't be shrimpy with the phase amps, it can handle it beyond the point you can't keep the front wheel on the ground :mrgreen:

PS i used to run RC lipo on that thing, YMMV with less powerful batteries

Bro where do you live now ? PM me I hava cristalyte 3540 you can trade me for a battery charger and or something I need that you have in the corner of your garage. PM me

Back