First time group ride organizer need help!

mani

10 µW
im looking to create a group to group ride ebikes in my city, i see lots of group rides from LA, NY, san francisco, miami but in my city in canada there's no group ride for ebike riders, so i want to create one to enjoy this summer with fellow ebikers.
it'll be the first time for me to organize such a group so im looking for pointers tips and all that will be helpful to have a successful group ride.
i started with creating this list:
  1. Safety First: Always wear a helmet and obey traffic laws. Keep a safe distance from other riders and pedestrians.
  2. Ride Responsibly: Be aware of your surroundings and ride within your skill level. Avoid risky maneuvers or sudden stops.
  3. Stay Together: Wait for slower riders at designated stops. Communicate with hand signals and verbal cues to alert others of obstacles.
  4. Bring Essentials: Carry water, snacks, a basic tool kit, and a charged phone. Dress appropriately for weather conditions.
  5. Respect Others: Yield to pedestrians and other trail users. Avoid excessive noise and maintain a positive attitude.
  6. Have Fun: Enjoy the ride and encourage others. Share tips and experiences to enhance everyone's enjoyment.
  7. Leave No Trace: Pack out what you pack in. Respect the environment and leave trails cleaner than you found them.
  8. Be Prepared: Know basic bike maintenance and repair skills. Bring spare tubes, a pump, and tools for minor adjustments.
  9. Follow Group Guidelines: Listen to ride leaders and adhere to group rules. Communicate any concerns or issues promptly.
anything i should add? also little worried about range anxiety...how long should the ride be? i have a double batteries (35 ah) setup but im guessing most people will have just one, don't want to leave any one behind!
any help would be much appreciated

Regarding range, you'd have to discuss that with each specific group of riders on every ride. It's not just about battery, its' about specific rider capability; some people can stay in the saddle (or seat, etc) longer than others. If you want a ride that includes *everyone* from start to finish, it's probably going to be a lot shorter than some riders will want it to be.

But even with just battery, you'd have to ask each rider what their average long distance might be, under the specific conditions that the ride you're going to do will be. If they normally ride where it's only perfectly flat, perfect roads, no wind, and at low speeds, but your ride will be in any conditions more adverse than that, their range will be reduced, potentially significantly or even greatly,

You might want to create possible routes for different types of riders/bikes, to organize different events based on capability--especially so you don't have to satisfy at the same time people that really want to just see the sights and ride for the fun of riding around slowly, vs those that want to joyride at higher speeds just for the fun of riding quickly without much of the scenery/etc mattering to them, etc.

Regarding legal stuff, you should probably make sure that wherever you're going to ride actually allows ebikes, and that all the bikes in the group are actually "ebikes" by whatever local definition you have (lots of people's ebikes are actually scooters, mopeds, or motorcycles, according to various local definitions), *and* that groups or riders are not disallowed. (some places restrict the number of people that can gather in one place or in one event, or number of riders/bikes/etc in a group or event, etc., or they may require advance notice or permits, etc).

You may want to scout routes ahead of time both for suitability for a particular ride or set of riders, and for acceptance of such a group by the other users of the route and/or residents, etc. That way you can avoid conflicts with whatever people don't like ebikes (or cyclists in general), etc.

Is there a protocol if someone has a mechanical problem or flat, or experiences a medical issue?
im still at the early stage of preparation so i didn't address that yet, but im wondering what protocol could be set in place in case someone ebike stop working, im guessing he'll have to call a friend or an uber to pick him.

I wouldn't get too crazy with the rules at first. I would recommend finding a group of like minded people first and then have a meeting to discuss the potential routes, rules, and schedule. One approach would be to find a local ebike shop as a sponsor and put up posters advertising an inaugural meeting.

Back