Five 12 volt batteries need charging????

Victorious1

10 mW
Hello, I've got five 12 volt batteries (non-stock) in my GIO 500+ electric scooter. I have been charging the 4 stock (48 volt) batteries with the stock charger and using a 2 amp car battery charger on the 5th battery and it was getting to be a pain so now I have acquired a 60 volt charger that connects at the same place as the 48 volt charger plug but now I need to rearrange the wires so that it charges all 5 batteries at the same time, but, I'm not sure how to connect it correctly. I am guessing that if I run a wire to the first positive in the battery series and a wire to the last negative in the series and make sure that the polarity matches at the charger plug then all should be OK.

Is everyone here in agreement with this or is there something I'm missing?

people here po-po SLA and GIOS cause they think there wiser and smarter now....your right,not missing anything.Cheers

I guess I forgot to mention that if you are going to reply to my post then please show some form of intelligence please. I was told that folks here are really smart and helpful and the reply above certainly counters what I have been told about this forum.

It doesn't matter what kind of batteries you have, they all wire the same way. In your case;
PNPNP
Batteries =60V nominal, using 5 12V batteries. P=positive, N=negative.
NPNPN

Victorious1 said:
I am guessing that if I run a wire to the first positive in the battery series and a wire to the last negative in the series and make sure that the polarity matches at the charger plug then all should be OK.

Is everyone here in agreement with this or is there something I'm missing?
Should be just that simple. If you have added the battery on the positive end, all you need do is move the charger port's positive wire from the negative end of the added battery to the postive end of hte added battery.

The opposite would be done if you added the battery at the negative end of the chain.

Sometimes we do wise off here, rather than just post wisdom. But you do have it right, just hook the charger to the same terminals your controller is hooked to on the string of batterys. The + and - on the ends of the string of batteries.

It's true, most of us prefer a regular bike frame to a scooter type ebike. We are trying to still look like a bike, on our homemade motorcycles. :mrgreen:

Sometimes we do wise off here, rather than just post wisdom. But you do have it right, just hook the charger to the same terminals your controller is hooked to on the string of batterys. The + and - on the ends of the string of batteries.

It's true, most of us prefer a regular bike frame to a scooter type ebike. We are trying to still look like a bike, on our homemade motorcycles. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info guys. I would have went for the regular bike frame, but, it would be difficult for our dog to ride comfortably on the bar in front of me, instead, on the scooter type frame he can ride down at my feet and get on and off on his own. Also, it would be akward to carry a full load of groceries on a regular bike frame, even with baskets, so wife and I settled on scooter type frames and we are loving it. I guess you could say that the scooter type frame is like the pickup truck of bikes, not as sleek as a regular type bike, but, definetely better as a utility vehicle. Lithium batteries are in the works when these SLA's die, plus I have an old mountain bike that I will be converting to electric when I get the spare time.

Back