Full Face = Getting yelled at on the bike path

El_Steak

10 kW
I don't know what it is with full-face helmets, but I only get yelled at by other cyclist when I wear them.

I make the same commute every day, most of it on the road, but some parts I have to get on the bike paths to save some time. On the bike paths, I'm pretty considerate and I take it easy. I keep my speeds fairly low and only pass when it is safe. I consider my riding on the path a lot safer than many lycra guys I often follow.

When I wear my regular bike helmet, I never get any dirty looks or yelling, but whenever I wear my full face, I get the full treatment. Usually its something like "Get off the path" or some insult I can barely hear. This morning again this chunky lady in a dress with no helmet told me to get off the path. I told her to have a nice day.

I never got any of this a few years ago, but its more and more frequent now that ebikes are becoming common.

It arrived few times to me... but also because of the full lightning i have on the ebike..

Each time i cross someone that give me comments like yours i stop, and return to see them and explain them why i wear that.

I just can't leave someone keeping a bad oppinion of guys like us and i want them to better understand.

Otherwise these people are the one that will spread bad comment abuot us and maybe encourage us to be banned on the cycle path and road.

Curiously it happen more often to me to be intercept by a cop than to receive coments from these lycra.. Fortunatly, 100% of the time these cops are just impressed by the acceleration they saw and ask questions just like if they would buy one of these ebikes right now :mrgreen:

So... i dont appreciate people expressing bad comment to us when they cross us and i try to solve this issue every time

Fortunately, 75% of the time i convince them that full face helmet is better and safer than their styrofoam jewelry they wear on their head. finally they explain me that they thought i was riding a motorcross due to the helmet they saw... but once they realize that there is no ICE sound and have pedal they shut their mouth!.. just like the cops do

It's a game of respect and interpretation.. and communication :wink:

Doc

Fairly low speeds.

I have a few on my bike trail, in this case walkers who hog the center of the path walking abreast. Passing them at 1 mph is too fast for these particular two bitches. Trying to explain to them that I won't hit them, but somebody else surely will, I get told to hug off.

I figure I have a right to ride at 20 mph on the trail when it's empty, but the the speed that it's ok to pass people is highy variable.

They definitely figure you are a motor vehicle if riding in full face, despite the popularity of full face bmx helmets.

I have yet to see another e-bike, but my 'comments' have went down DRASTICALLY over the years. People used to yell all kinds of things at me a year or two ago, when I was going slower and my bike was more obvious. I generally keep it below 20, especially in neighborhoods or around other cyclists. People are really dumb and assume bikes are going very slow, when they see one going even 20, they think its 'fast'.

I cant recall anyone saying anything at all to me in months. However, theres no bike paths here, and not many lycras. If there are lycras are going fast, I tend to pass them at WOT if they're in the way, never heard anyone yelling. It might help I dont wear a helmet, so I suppose I look more like a casual rider.

This one time... I was doing a rolling burnout as a pack of lycras came around a corner. I would have assumed they would have said something as they passed me, but they just inhaled the smoke as they passed, staring in disbelief.

zomgvtek, maybe you're going so fast that they don't think you'll hear them, so they don't shout, lol..

And yeah, this is why i i do not wear any motorcycle gear and try to look like an ordinary cyclist as much as possible. I'll put a bandana on my face if i want protection from bugs getting in my face etc.

People don't understand us and go off image.

Yes same thing here no matter how slowly some people still tutt and moan :evil: I was cycling along the canal path, perfectly legal, saw a dog and a dog walker ahead so I even got off, I walked past and the dog sunk its fangs in to my leg, it was properly nasty, the owner just said, he doesnt like bikes? WTF I was fuming!!

So now I dont get off and walk past dog walkers, I do give the dogs a wide berth though as it not their fault its the owners for not controlling them properly they are dogs after all.

A lot of the folks I have to squeeze past on the shared paths are so fat thats the main problem :lol: I swear we are going to need to start putting bigger doors in to houses soon, there are some hefty people on the streets here in the UK

One old guy on the path kept seeing me coming and getting about 10 feet off the path. Stopping to ask him what was up, he told me he'd been hit by bikes three times. Guys hauling ass in a tuck not looking.

I told him he never ever had to worry about me, I explained about the motor and told him I had no reason to tuck. Now he sees me coming and doesn't hop off the trail anymore. I also never ever pass him going faster than 2-3 mph. Others that know me, and don't hog the center, etc just get a cherry good morning from me as I pass at 20 mph. If overtaking them from behind, it's more like 10 mph. In a smallish city like I live in, a little bit of courtesy goes a long way, and flows both directions.

It sure sucks, but it's interesting how people take "ownership" of stuff that's not really theirs...

My wife and I are kinda new to the ebike thing but we rode a week ago on the Burke-Giman trail, 8 miles RT, 16 'person-miles'. Both of us had street cloths on, bike helmets and bike gloves. Speeds were 15-17 MPH average (speed limit is 15...) and we passed lotsa people, always with a 'on your left' called out before passing. Not one single comment, no funny looks that I can remember either.

I think the comments about it being the way you dress are apt.

I've had plenty of guys blow by me on the trails here in the Seattle area in lycra (in pelatons no less) doing way more than 15 MPH with narry a bell or voice signal to let me know they were passing.

Tony

A non-full-face helmet is a merely a gesture.

Full-face or no helmet for me. To hell with anyone's thoughts on the matter.

^^^ +1 why worry what others think, got over this early on in the peace when i realised %t has no real impact on me at all what others think of me our what/how I go about doing things, sure is less stressful saves a crap load of money to.

KiM

What is wrong with trying to protect your head (even if you're riding with no motor)??? What is uncool about that??? For example, up here we like hockey. Despite all the unbelievable wealth of information about head injuries in hockey, 99.999% of pro hockey refuse to wear full face helemts and most of them dont even tie it up properly!!! Yet, dangerous blows to the head happen ALL THE TIME in hockey. Resulting in concussions that can have who knows what kind of repercussion later on. Well, I guess some people would rather look cool...DUH!!!

***el_steak, i've had the pleasure of trying your 24s bike and I totally understand the full face!!!

I don't understand why you guys are riding your e-bikes on bike paths anyway, they're motor vehicles. Streets are much wider and easier to pass on too 8)

At least here in AZ, they are specifically *not* motor vehicles. ;) But most of the time I'd rather ride in the street, as long as it's not on the major roads.

That said, I've not been yelled at or anything else with my FF on, whether on street or canal path, on DayGlo Avenger or on CrazyBike2 or on the much more normal-looking The Velcro Eclipse. I have had some odd looks by people trying to figure out what I was, when on CB2, but that's all. I have probably had dirty looks from people but I dont' really notice most stuff like that anyway (and I still have trouble reading expressions of people I don't know well).

I don't ride with the FF during the hot part of the year, which is often more than half of it, simply because even with the front of it open, it's just way too hot except when moving at 18-20MPH. Anything lower than that, and it's just an oven. When stopped in traffic, I get woozy enough that I'm afraid I'd pass out if it were longer than a minute, and some of the traffic lights can take 2-3 minutes to cycle thru, and even longer during certain times of day when each direction gets a chance separately, so there are FOUR cycles to go thru for each actual cycle. Bad enough on a regular bike helmet with all the holes in it, or even just bareheaded, but with a FF (especially black like mine currently is).... :shock: :(

If I was riding a motorcycle or moped, allowed to go faster than 20MPH, I'd probably be wearing the FF all the time, regardless, and likely full leathers with plates and whatnot.

If I had the time to spend on it, I'd rig up a cooling system for it that hopefully wouldn't badly compromise it's protection ability--active liquid cooling or something, like some of the cooling jackets I have been told about for underneath MC and racing protection gear and such.

Sometiems I wish I was wearing the FF all the time anyway, like my crash yesterday (monday) apparently into some bushes and gravel at the boundary of a parking lot...even with my bicycle helmet, I still feel like I got whacked with a baseball bat right over the ear, and I can't remember most of yesterday, including from just before the crash up to well after I was home. I probably wouldn't know I *had* crashed if I hadn't posted about it, and had people at work asking me if I was feeling better. :roll:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=447763#p447763
If I wasn't wearing *any* helmet, I'd hazard that it would be much worse, but I don't really know since I don't know what happened. But still, if I had been wearing the FF, I doubt I would have any head injury right now.

So...if you've got a FF, use it anyway. :)

Many of those who walk/hike these paths automatically assume that you're riding a motorcycle or "motor vehicle" whenever you wear a full face helmet. Another problem is that certain local "bike path" laws actually supersede the State and Federal laws that define a "motor vehicle". This, of course, can result in the prohibition of any and all motor equipped bicycles/vehicles on these paths.

BTW, certain people used to "yell" at those of us who rode regular mountain bikes on dirt paths and trails back in the "early days" of MTBing. This did seem to abate over time tho...

They do make bicycle full face helmets--motocross style. That might get you less hassle. Of course, you could also just wear the motorcycle version that's DOT/CE/Snell certified. I prefer motocross style helmets when on a motorcycle unless the weather is cold. Lots of air flow and a visor to keep the sun out of my eyes.
bicycle version:
bell_bellistic_blu_blu_2008.jpg

motorcycle version:
2011-Bell-MX-1-Stewart-Signature-Helmet.jpg

In general, people don't like change.

I enjoy messing up with people a bit by doing things differently. Be it some stuck up lady on a bike or some fat retard in a rusted pick up truck, its always fun to tick them off a bit.

However, I'm concerned about the backlash against ebikes I am seeing more and more in the region. Ebikes are becoming more common and people that hate change are starting to stir up some shit here. In Ottawa / Gatineau, there were talks recently by the NCC to ban ebikes (maybe just the scooter-type?) on the bike paths because a few vocal people are complaining.

It kinda reminds me 20 years ago when snow boards started to appear on the ski hills. There was a lot of backlash from the old-school skiers who blamed every problem in the world on those pesky snow boarders. I remember the snow boards being segregated to their own slopes at my local ski center so they would not mingle with the regular skiers! Fortunately its a thing of the past now. I hope the same will happen with ebikes as they become more common.

Oh and here's the helmet (red one), its a downhill bike helmet, not a motorcycle one:

pryme-al-full-face-helmet-lg-xl-58-62-cm-satin-red.jpg

When I'm on my motorcycle I ride all the gear, all the time. This morning when I rode in (30 mi. of freeway and side streets) with armored coat, full-face helmet, gauntlet gloves, boots and jeans, I felt naked because I wasn't wearing armored overpants or my Aerostich armored suit, but the afternoons are hot sitting in stop and go. I refuse to ride without a full-face helmet and almost never ride with the chin-guard flipped up, especially at speed, though I see many do that (even cops!)

I remember riding in college with just a 3/4 helmet, t-shirt, shorts and running shoes and shudder, thinking of what could have happened.

On the bike I never, ever ride without a helmet, even just up and down the cul-de-sac: stuff happens.

I understand those who are riding faster wanting full-face helmets and so on and applaud them, but I never intend to ride those speeds. 20 MPH is fast enough for me on a bike. My fast-wind motor gets me more acceleration when I need it.

My goal is to blend in and be in stealth-mode as much as possible, at least until e-bikes in general are more accepted.

YMMV. Ride safe,

Tony

amberwolf said:
Sometimes I wish I was wearing the FF all the time anyway, like my crash yesterday (monday) apparently into some bushes and gravel at the boundary of a parking lot...even with my bicycle helmet, I still feel like I got whacked with a baseball bat right over the ear, and I can't remember most of yesterday, including from just before the crash up to well after I was home... :)

Amberwolf, I'm glad you're "okay", and wish everyone was like you. I cannot belioeve the number of bicyclists I see without helmets.

Best,

Tony

I ride full face all the time. I'm probably the only person in Vegas who does, especially when it's 110 out. I find it's just as cool as a normal Styrofoam shell helmet because I rarely drop below 20mph on my 5 mile commute. I thought people would look at me strange but no one seems to even notice. No one even seems to notice my bike is electric either. On the streets I usually go 30-34mph (35mph limit) and cooling is a non issue with the full face.

Every day I see scooter riders with no helmet at all, makes me cringe. Even if I got negative comments or strange looks, I'd still wear the full face. I like my head.

zombiess said:
I like my head.
Had a nice chuckle!. I like what goes on in your head. You seem like a sensible young man, quoth me with Aunt Bee leer. (g)

I get a lot of this too. Except it is with people on horses. They think that they can take their horses onto the trails and dig the trails up into a mud-swamp with their horses, and leave piles of horses-crap everywhere, but that a guy on an electric BMX is a menace??? And even more of a menace because of some body armour or helmet?? Idiots.

The Mighty Volt said:
I get a lot of this too. Except it is with people on horses. They think that they can take their horses onto the trails and dig the trails up into a mud-swamp with their horses, and leave piles of horses-crap everywhere, but that a guy on an electric BMX is a menace??? And even more of a menace because of some body armour or helmet?? Idiots.

Horses are easily spooked. Just sayin'...

They are. Perhaps in the interest of trail maintenance horses should be banned. or perhaps schedule days for horses and days for bikes. We have some nice mtb singletrack here, that locals worked hard with the blm to build and maintain. Once in a great while a horse rider uses them, and trashes them much much much worse than the occasional moto cross bike that gets on the trail. Pretty harsh, when it's worse than moto x bikes.

TonyReynolds said:
The Mighty Volt said:

Horses are easily spooked. Just sayin'...
Oh I know....but here is the thing....a horse is as easily spooked by somebody sitting on a bench rustling a newspaper as they are by a silent, parked Ebike and a guy in a helmet who is twiddling his thumbs waiting for them to hurry up and pass.

A squirrel sprinting across a horses path will spook him.

Back