Full suspension bikes compatible with a frame battery

MadRhino said:
That is a Heckler. I have one here, that I had built twice, going on a 3rd with geometry mods, and stiffened swing arm.

That's what I thought at first, but the swingarm pivot point is different. Turns out it's a VP Free.
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-AE/archive/bike/vp-free

2015 rocky mountain altitude 730 large frame. 27.5 wheels. CL price $1100 - this particular bike needs a lot of work and doesn't have particularly high end parts, but a nicer specced model seems like it'd make a good conversion candidate.

leXjxII.jpg

Early Specialized FS bikes had an open front triangle. So did some others. Look for a GT LTS 2 or 3, they have an open front triangle.

My FS bike didn't have an open triangle.

First I put the 52v, 20ah battery in a bag on top of a seatpost rack. That worked well until I stopped on a steep climb, then the front wheel became light, swept to the side and over I went. Actual riding was fine.

Second I put the big squarish battery on top of the top tube. That rode fine but looked funny and noticeable. Top heavy became a problem when stopped.

Third I put the battery on the side of the front triangle and sat slightly sideways. That rode fine and was much better when stopped. Then I put on a pedal extension on the battery side, that caused the crank bolt to loosen, it had to be retightened and Loctited once in a while.

That FS bike had a higher bottom bracket than a rigid bike, so when the seat was adjusted for good pedaling leg extension I had trouble touching toes when stopped on uneven terrain. This caused a few falls when stopped.

Finally I got a Townie that had front suspension and put a suspension seat post on it. This works better for most riding and has just as good a ride on the small stuff. Off a curb is different, FS wins then.

I wondered if the weight of a MAC geared rear hub would be a problem for the rear suspension. It never was a problem, not at all.

2020 Banshee Titan Large frame. Looks like a great candidate aside from the $4k price tag...

7Q13bb6.jpg

20xXX Turner Burner. 150/140 travel. $1800 on CL. XL frame pictured but I bet even a M would hold a 8ah battery.

3oKLxQ4.jpg
v

Okay, I found this FS MtB for thirty bucks and put a rear DD motor on it -- and the battery is in the frame!

PXL_20230402_231157487 (1).jpgPXL_20230402_231157487 (1).jpg
It's a Novara Ponderosa from the mid-2000's with mismatched rims and a UPP battery pack.
It's a roll your own ebike.

Last edited:
Back