Gas sprockets tough enough for electric

Jestronix

10 kW
Hi guys,

Are these a good option for a true high power mid? I guess they cause issues with disc brakes, but are these guys tough? From what I can see the chain is larger, the ones used on the 80cc models.

I'm thinking of a direct drive setup, no gears,

images

Depends on tooth loading on the front sprocket not rear sprocket (rear sprocket had a longer radius and distributes loads over more engaged teeth).

liveforphysics said:
Depends on tooth loading on the front sprocket not rear sprocket (rear sprocket had a longer radius and distributes loads over more engaged teeth).

So now where to find a bullet proof sprocket 18T ?

That's an adapter that clamps around a cylindrical hub center. There are four arms that pass through the spokes to attach to a sprocket. All I can say is that the gasser guys have been having fairly good luck with them. They often use a clutch, but...for an electrical motor I would suggest a jackshaft, which incorporates a freewheel.

2-3kw range I guess and certainly they are not driving instant torque through them. I need to find someone that has done a conversion

There's at least 6 categories here http://custommotoredbicycles.com/ I'd look into depending on what you want/need. I like #35 for my drivetrain and it holds up great to alot of torque. Apparently recompense likes HD bike chain on his 10x kw bikes, so it's all in what you want and design for.
The majority of 40/4xx chains/sprockets common on gas bikes (like that site) will be more than enough, with the weakpoint potentially being hub/fw integration or motor mounting.

Even one of those adapters that attach to spokes would be fine if you watch the torque, imo.

Back