Generator from brushless motor?

dozentrio

10 kW
Hi guys,

I need some help and advice from people with a better grasp on electronics than I have. I'm trying to use a 3-phase brushless motor (RC motor) as a generator for a series-hybrid vehicle and don't know what kind of electronics are best suited for my purpose. I want to use the RC motor to keep a battery fully charged.

Some things I know

I have 9 kW mechanical power readily available at 6000-8000 rpm
I have a big RC motor, or a couple smaller ones on a single shaft, that can run continuously at that power. The Kv of the motor can be picked so that the voltage would be 65-70 volts if it runs at 8000 rpm. I.e. suitable for charging my battery.
I have a 60V (14s) LiPo battery that I can charge at 2C, maybe 5C burst.
I have a load that's highly variable and might burst to 20+ kW.

The battery's there as a buffer. The genset can't output 20 kW but it CAN supply more than the average power consumption. A reasonably efficient system should be able to output at least 7 kW (assuming 2kW losses from the 9kW mechanical power I started with).

What electronics can I use to take the electrical output from the RC motor to keep the battery charged?
I don't want to overcharge the LiPo battery. I'm pretty sure I can't go above the 4.2 v/cell limit during charging. I can monitor the charge rate and the draw rate and keep track of how much energy is in the battery-- so I'll know if it needs genset power or not. I think this is necesssary because simply looking at the battery voltage is an unreliable indicator of state of charge. Under load, the voltage will sag a bit. Doesn't mean the battery's empty. There won't be opportunities to look at the 'resting voltage' of the battery.

So, can I simply stick a 3-phase rectifier on the RC motor, and PWM the connection with some mosfets? Is this an 'active rectifier'?
It might be functional/effective to use an ebike motor controller in regen mode, but I don't think it's ideal.

Does anyone know the best way to approach this?

Since the RPM will (may?) vary lots, you will need to have something that can convert the widely-varying voltage out of your motor into that needed for charging a single-voltage battery.

Possibly the best option is a DC-DC converter that can limit current, with it's input votlage range at least as wide as that of the motor's output, and it's output voltage set to the max charge voltage you want, and it's output current limit set to the max charge current you want.

Then you can use a 3-phase rectifier on your motor's output, and enough capacitance to smooth that out to flat DC for the converter.

BTW, there may be more useful info for you in the various other threads about using a hub as a generator:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=motor+generator&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
not all of them are relevant, but it's one possible quick search for such threads.

If you could keep the motor at a single speed (would need some kind of speed control to increase speed under load to create the right voltage), within a close tolerance, you could leave the output unrectifited, and set the RPM to have it output 115VAC per phase, and then use a set of 230VAC-powered current-limiting PSUs like the Meanwell HLG LED PSUs.

The catch is that the frequency of the AC will probably not be anywhere near 50-60hz, and I don't know if that will be a problem for those PSUs.

My output RPM can be controlled. I'm saying I can pick a value between 6000 to 8000 RPM and stay relatively close to that. Probably it would be 8000 RPM to maximize power...

And yes, I think the frequency will be a big issue. If I'm using an RC motor with something like 10+ poles, at 8000 RPM, I get 80,000 Hz :shock:

Back