GIANT lafree modding questions. ((first project))

lucajo16

10 mW
Hello So I am new to the world of Ebikes and have started my adventure into madness with a twist lite lafree by giant. It was made in 2002 and I paid 1,000 US for it. I have looked online and have seen tons of bikes going a lot faster then what im currently doing and I want to know if anyone has modded one of thies bikes and how fast can I possibly get it. it is used and I know its parts are going to die soon. (( think the motor is slowing down)) and I need to go faster. currently I go about 15 flat land and I need 20-30 to be happy.

http://www.electricvehiclesnw.com/main/lite.htm are the specs here and I would love to hear your opnions on my first possible upgrade project.

I also wanted to mention I am looking for speed rather then distance when modding but I have no clue's as to where to go or what to do. I really need help on this first project so I don't go and kill my bike

lucajo16 said:
Hello So I am new to the world of Ebikes and have started my adventure into madness with a twist lite lafree by giant. It was made in 2002 and I paid 1,000 US for it. I have looked online and have seen tons of bikes going a lot faster then what im currently doing and I want to know if anyone has modded one of thies bikes and how fast can I possibly get it. it is used and I know its parts are going to die soon. (( think the motor is slowing down)) and I need to go faster. currently I go about 15 flat land and I need 20-30 to be happy.

http://www.electricvehiclesnw.com/main/lite.htm are the specs here and I would love to hear your opnions on my first possible upgrade project.

Welcome to the land of the free and electrified.

I too owned a Giant Lite (2005) which had a NMH 24V battery. I had it 2 years and sold it. I upgraded the 4 speed hub to a SRAm 7 speed. It gave a higher top gear. Your battery may be lead acid? Check into FalconEv for Giant replacements. A 26V lithium will get you 2-3 mph and less weight. Gearing will help too for a mid drive. After that, a new bike is the ticket. You are a LONG way from 30mph, my friend, with a Giant lite modification. I went with an Optibike 1100R, but there are cheaper options. Depends on how close to 30mph you want to be.

Good Rides,
D

I actually thought of doing my own build. Its a lith-ion battery so no worries there. weird thing is mine is a 3 speed and its red with a lo jack like bike lock built onto the back wheel. Its weird. I was thinking of doing a overhall on the whole thing once im out of college but I got a spare bike I could build into something now. XD

Back