GNG / CYC X1 Pro 3000w

OK so who here has tried the astro 3220 with this set up? I have one and am considering getting the barebones gearbox but wondering what mods will need to be done to allow it fit and function?

Ham said:
OK so who here has tried the astro 3220 with this set up? I have one and am considering getting the barebones gearbox but wondering what mods will need to be done to allow it fit and function?

Why would you want to use that motor rather than the X1 motor that fits directly?

Simply because I have a 3220 already and the gearbox for this is a good price and the motors are a pretty close match in kv and both 80mm

Ham said:
Simply because I have a 3220 already and the gearbox for this is a good price and the motors are a pretty close match in kv and both 80mm

Too much work for me, but I have considered running a castle creations HV ESC on the motor... I heard good things from someone else that did it. But, I want PAS and throttle, so I ordered a BAC 855.

Ham said:
oooh I have a spare hv160 here too...that could be fun:)

I don't quite know how you can easily convert the analog e-bike throttle signal to a PWM servo signal, but I messaged the person I know that did it... I mean, you could use a microcontroller, but that's a pain.

I'm currently using the 3220 with a castle hv120 through a ca3...tangent kit and its a blast

Ham said:
I'm currently using the 3220 with a castle hv120 through a ca3...tangent kit and its a blast

Neat! That's what he was using. You could do the same thing with the X1 pro.

But, I am planning to try the ASI BAC 855 so that I can use 72V. I already have too much torque, I could use more motor speed so that I don't have to shift and don't have to use small gears.

This entire kit is very appealing. I'd love to see a side by side of this vs tangent

Ham said:
This entire kit is very appealing. I'd love to see a side by side of this vs tangent

The gen 1 controller sucks, but hopefully the gen 2 is getting better. But, I love the level of integration with the stock CYC controllers. They allow very tidy and neat installs. The firmware and app are getting much better with updates. The new app looks good and has logging, real-time dashboard stuff. And the display is nice.

All the mechanical stuff is great and only getting better with new iterations. Probably very similar performance for a lot less money.

I'll be wiring up my Domino throttle when the ASI controller arrives. I would have requested the gen 2 controller, but it doesn't support PAS, only torque sensing. So, I would have had to change out my whole BB, etc.

Ham said:
great info, thanks

Also, it's $938 with torque sensing, vs ??? for the tangent:
https://www.cycmotor.com/product-page/x1-pro-gen-2-36-72v-5000w-extreme-mid-drive-conversion-kit-with-torque-sensor

Yes Tangent is expensive for sure but if it's quicker off the mark then it is worth it :) A comparison vid would be great

Ham said:
Yes Tangent is expensive for sure but if it's quicker off the mark then it is worth it :) A comparison vid would be great

If you want fast, get the CYC with the BAC 2000 controller. Big power. But, you have to figure out where to mount the controller..

n2mb said:
If you want fast, get the CYC with the BAC 2000 controller. Big power
I don't want fast, or at least don't care what top speed is.

But I still need as much torque / power at low rpm (amps) as possible.

So the BAC 2000 still gives a huge advantage there, right?

What about compared to Nuc 24 ?

Precise control, over-temp limiting of current both also very important

john61ct said:
n2mb said:

I would assume huge torque, given that the BAC 2000 supports very high phase amps. I'm not going to try it, since my frame can't take it. It's already bending and creaking with the stock controller at 65A.

n2mb said:
john61ct said:
n2mb said:

I would assume huge torque, given that the BAC 2000 supports very high phase amps. I'm not going to try it, since my frame can't take it. It's already bending and creaking with the stock controller at 65A.

Under what circumstances does your controller pick up 65a? Whatever I do mine says input torque 45a at the very most.

Any time I hit the throttle or pedal at slow speeds in gear 5. I have the gen 1 controller at 52v. Check your settings maybe?

n2mb said:
Any time I hit the throttle or pedal at slow speeds in gear 5. I have the gen 1 controller at 52v. Check your settings maybe?

I have 72v controller with all settings max. It is one of the first ones and faulty in other ways though.

Sadly a RC controller is still the most reliable fastest response controller available for this drive. It is more reliable than the mechanical hardware. My RC esc has uncontrolled phase current, and the latest hardened 219H 11T sprocket deforms and wears extremely quickly even though the controller engages very smoothly. The bolts holding the big 219H sprocket to the chainring also tend to break the heads off after a few hundred miles.

flat tire said:
Sadly a RC controller is still the most reliable fastest response controller available for this drive. It is more reliable than the mechanical hardware. My RC esc has uncontrolled phase current, and the latest hardened 219H 11T sprocket deforms and wears extremely quickly even though the controller engages very smoothly. The bolts holding the big 219H sprocket to the chainring also tend to break the heads off after a few hundred miles.

How much power are you running?

I am looking for bac2000 cyc config file. Anybody has it, pm me or write it here.

n2mb said:
Ham said:

If you want fast, get the CYC with the BAC 2000 controller. Big power. But, you have to figure out where to mount the controller..

I am actually at a stage where I have as much fun if not more fun on the levo hard tail I get use every now and then so not really after big power per se...nice to have for sure though and if the build is cheaper than a levo then why not:)

Trying to find out more info on the gen 2 here and how it works with pas i.e. how smooth it is and different settings etc?

Ham said:
n2mb said:
Ham said:

I am actually at a stage where I have as much fun if not more fun on the levo hard tail I get use every now and then so not really after big power per se...nice to have for sure though and if the build is cheaper than a levo then why not:)

Trying to find out more info on the gen 2 here and how it works with pas i.e. how smooth it is and different settings etc?

That's why I'm going with the BAC855. I don't need huge power. When I'm on the trails, I only use the lowest setting, which is about 600W to 700W continuous. On the road, I use 1500W max while pedaling. I guess if I had a working throttle I might use the full 3.5 kW, but can't use it while pedaling now....

Why do you not use the standard cyc controller for those kind of power requirement? I am very close to getting one of these kits with the standard controller for mostly PAS use and some throttle for fun up the hills

Back