GNG / CYC X1 Pro 3000w

NexusG said:
They have just received the freewheel 2.0 parts for the pressfit version
It is now possible to order the new freewheel with pressfit bottom bracket
And how this is a good thing?
It will be PITA to remove it.

Hi.
I have both CYC x1pro Gen2 and CYC X1 Stealth in similar frames (Stockli 9.7 Race - mine and Stockli 9.6 Edition my wife's bike). Stealth is somewhat quieter but has lower power settings (same steel gears on both bikes). I have 11/63t Chainring and Sprocket Set in CYC x1pro and 11/53t in Stealth. It is worth buying a 1-4 harness with an output for brake sensors. I connected brake sensors and gear shift sensor. In both CYC engines it is possible to connect 6V lights. The BAC855 controller has a place for pins "23" +6V and "24" GND in the main controller plug (JST PADP-24V-1-S-24). Lights are switched on by long pressing the "+" button. The only problem is that the original JST PADP-24V-1-S-24Pin plug has no wires or contacts inserted in these places (23 and 24). To make it work you have to buy two SPH-001T-P0.5L contacts, tighten the cables, put them in the plug. It is possible to connect lighting up to 500mA. I checked that and the lights work, I bought regular 6V Led lamps for bicycles with a front hub dynamo. Both bicycles have almost the same components. CYC x1pro Gen2 has battery 13s7p and Stealth 13s5p. So far I rode 300km with my CYC x1pro without any problems. After 30km ride (CYC x1pro) on street mode (750W) battery was at 52 volts - almost 100%. I plan to switch to Flywheel 2.0 and have same 11/53T front chainrings and sprockets. Max speed measured on CYC x1pro when riding up a small hill (Race mode 2000W) was 50,7 km/h with little help from my side. Both bikes are at the photo.

Attachments

• 20211010_143422.jpg
    20211010_143422.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,373
Ham said:
My tangent build was very custom with home made motor mounts attaching the motor directly to the frame which was a cheap steel stealth copy similar to the eeb that held about 200 18650's in a custom made pack of vtc5a cells. Through the alfine 8 IGH (I dont see a reason to ever run a cassette set up ever again).

Ham - This is a followup to a post you made a while back about the Alfine 8 and the CYC combination. I wanted to see if it has held up. If it has, I wanted to know what kind of hills you have in your area. How steep? How long the climbs? i’ve been wanting to install an IGH. The 8 Speed hub would be ideal, but I’ve been worried the torque needed to climb hills in my area would destroy the hub. It would be great to know what kind of terrain you are riding on. Thanks!!!

Actually, anyone that can comment on their IGH / CYC combination would be appreciated!! Even though I’m planning to start with lower price range of Shimano & Sturmey Archer, would be good to hear from people that are using Kindernay & Rohloff.

I live in the "Surrey Hills" where the 2012 Olympic road cycling races were held...worth a little look with GoogleFu. Some of the climbs offroad are 1-2km long and fairly brutal in degree. I am no bad ass offroader, I can't perform huge jumps or drops but 30mph runs uphill on the old astro 3220 Alfine 8 set up posed it no issues and the CYC 3kw PAS set up never caused damaging issues.

Most of these motors produce about the same torque as a heavy human rider so they should be OK if the recommended ratios are observed with chainring size to rear sprocket size....

Ecyclist said:
NexusG said:

I don't quite understand
I have a mountain bike with a BB92 bottom bracket so I need to order the CYC X1 pressfit version, I don't have much choice
And that's the case on most modern high-end mountain bikes
Plus, it's actually easy to remove it with a standard pressfit removal tool

After discussing with CYC, a gen 3 version is on the table, with an unofficial release date of Q2 2022. It will include a new torque sensor and ISIS crank set

NexusG said:
Ecyclist said:
NexusG said:

I don't quite understand
I have a mountain bike with a BB92 bottom bracket so I need to order the CYC X1 pressfit version, I don't have much choice
And that's the case on most modern high-end mountain bikes
Plus, it's actually easy to remove it with a standard pressfit removal tool

After discussing with CYC, a gen 3 version is on the table, with an unofficial release date of Q2 2022. It will include a new torque sensor and ISIS crank set
If you say so. :?

It might be more helpful to specify exactly what you are skeptical about

rather than just giving a general sneer

john61ct said:

It was the gullible parroting of a manufacturer's projected delivery date. Anyone who's familiar with this industry or any industry during the pandemic is going to think, um okay right. Sure.

OK great, yes of course it's all vapourware until members report receiving their orders.

I thought maybe the skepticism included the bottom bracket / CYC X1 pressfit version

or the statement

> it's actually easy to remove it with a standard pressfit removal tool

Ham said:
I live in the "Surrey Hills" where the 2012 Olympic road cycling races were held...worth a little look with GoogleFu. Some of the climbs offroad are 1-2km long and fairly brutal in degree. I am no bad ass offroader, I can't perform huge jumps or drops but 30mph runs uphill on the old astro 3220 Alfine 8 set up posed it no issues and the CYC 3kw PAS set up never caused damaging issues.

Most of these motors produce about the same torque as a heavy human rider so they should be OK if the recommended ratios are observed with chainring size to rear sprocket size....

Thanks Ham!

This is super helpful! Knowing that the Alfine 8 can handle the torque generated by CYC motor while climbing steep hills is exactly what I needed to know! I really appreciate this feedback.

Also, i created a thread just for experiences / comments related to IGH's. Feel free to post something there if you want! This is a link:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113864

john61ct said:

How about you scroll up and read my previous post?
You can't be that lazy.

Maybe it's just my lack of comprehension but I do not see any intelligible specific posts from you outlining your objections even reading back a hundred posts.

But never mind if it's too much work, I won't call you lazy...

john61ct said:
Maybe it's just my lack of comprehension but I do not see any intelligible specific posts from you outlining your objections even reading back a hundred posts.

But never mind if it's too much work, I won't call you lazy...
Thank you.
That's why I didn't call you lazy. :bigthumb:

CYC Buyers Beware
I wanted to post this to show potential CYC customers what they may face when buying from CYC
I paid for the X1 Pro on Aug 12, 2021 and it isn’t working 4 months later, this isn’t my first DIY ebike build and I am no stranger to the electronics that are used. The ASI855 controller has been the issue from the start it and would work intermittently and has now stopped completely. CYC have stopped replying to my emails, properly because they don’t want to replace the controller. When it was working, I was doing tests and the throttle cut-out makes it nearly useless.

In case you are in US or Canada have a look at
https://krankedbikes.com/products/hyperdrive-pre-order

If you are based in Europe you can me, hopefully I have a kit here soon to test.

I'm in the process of buying the gen 2 cyc x1 pro and installing it on a Giant Fathom 29" hardtail mountain bike.

With the BAC2000 running at 72v, is it realistic to try and pull 250 Nm of torque and 5kw of power through the standard 11 speed bike cassette and drive train?

I'm worried that this will snap chains and bend derailleurs and brackets.

Has anyone experienced this type of setup? If so what is your advice?

I can downgrade the cassette to an 8speed and use a wider chain. Would this work ?

Im after a middrive unit myself but after seing the magnet a few pages back im gonna wait till theres an ipm version so that issue is put to bed, ive got previous form on expensive motors so i need something strong.

I see the bbshd rotor is upto the task but not sure how choclate the stock gearbox is on them so more research, why cant anyone put a very good system on the table at a decent price.

The cyc looks like a winner just needs fettling on the manufacturing side to get it sweet.

mbgjt1 said:
I'm in the process of buying the gen 2 cyc x1 pro and installing it on a Giant Fathom 29" hardtail mountain bike.

With the BAC2000 running at 72v, is it realistic to try and pull 250 Nm of torque and 5kw of power through the standard 11 speed bike cassette and drive train?

I'm worried that this will snap chains and bend derailleurs and brackets.

Has anyone experienced this type of setup? If so what is your advice?

I can downgrade the cassette to an 8speed and use a wider chain. Would this work ?
I'm running the gen 1 thing on 22s (~91v) and 6kw and the only thing that complains seems to be the one way bearing in the unit that nowadays slips some times at max torque. These torque peaks are generally very short so this doesn't interfere much if any. Also its likely that my bearing is a bit worn by now. Do also consider that even trying to run at these power levels will be hard in real world. I'd say it's often likely you'll be thrown of the bike or loose rear wheel traction before reaching the this max, unless doing relentless max speed runs. I'm only doing offroad riding.

I'd be more worried about the bike frame, since normal XC bikes will flex quite a lot. Also the cassette quickly fuses with the rear adapter piece (if made of aluminium) and has to be replaced at the same time as the cassette... But e-bike rated chains handle this kind of power unbelievable well. Standard chains not so well. Never had any issues with the derailleurs, they merely guide the chain on the way up. Running hard on the gears with few teeth (<15) will wear the them down pretty fast. The flexing may also interfere with the gear selection more here.

Overall this is a super reliable kit, even at these elevated levels of abuse.

Gen 2 has a better one way bearing and a steel output cog, both which I've upgraded to. It hasn't worn noticeably yet but the original gen 1 parts were a lot weaker here.

I have the Cyc Gen 2 running on a Surly Moonlander - so far everything has been running well.

I picked up a couple of issues yesterday and today though:
1. The app password was changed; I received the new code, and the app works and connects to the controller, but shows nothing on the display
2. the voltage shown on the display is 30v, actual voltage is 69v
3. There is a 30H error
4. There is a high-pitched whine from the display.

I will report back if and when these are resolved
cyc.jpg

PRW said:
I have the Cyc Gen 2 running on a Surly Moonlander - so far everything has been running well.

1. The app password was changed; I received the new code, and the app works and connects to the controller, but shows nothing on the display
3. There is a 30H error

cyc.jpg

Have you set the display up using it's menu? Silly suggestion perhaps but often over looked...

Ham said:
PRW said:

3. There is a 30H error

cyc.jpg

Have you set the display up using it's menu? Silly suggestion perhaps but often over looked...
Thanks, yes - it is resolved, the connector to the display was slightly loose - why this would show a reduced voltage, and not just nothing, I am not sure - but it is all sorted out!

hello i have a cyc x pro gen 2 since 2021,and the problem i have is that i have started to get a crunching sound when pedaling as if the bottom bracket was broken,does anyone know what it could be?thank you.

Back