Got busted for riding my ebike

Rule by majority.

Arrange a majority.

Start organising with other voters until you are the majority. Complaining isn't organising - it requires actually talking and listening.

Democracy is constant work. It's not 'set and forget'.
I'm shocked by looking at the number of laws/rules/regulations there are over ebikes in Australia. I guess those are supported by the majority?

Sorry to hear this Fechter!
CA Policing is the worst - very predatory..

Did your bike look very obviously electric or was it a stealthy build?

They apparently have very strict motor vehicle traffic laws and enforcement, too. None of this "15MPH over the limit is OK" stuff like we have here.

I'm shocked by looking at the number of laws/rules/regulations there are over ebikes in Australia. I guess those are supported by the majority?

I was out riding recently on one of the trails above my house and got pulled over by a park ranger. He wrote me a ticket for having a "motorized vehicle" on park land. I explained to him that under California state law, ebikes are considered bicycles and not motorized vehicles. He wrote me the ticket anyway.

I researched the posted rules, and after about an hour of searching, I found that sure enough, the stupid parks system here has specifically prohibited ebikes from the unpaved trails in their district. I was unaware of this and for the past 8 years thought riding my bike was OK. I have passed by park rangers many times in the past and the just waved and smiled.

The ticket was $509!

I'm not sure what their rationale for banning ebikes is, but my guess it's a bunch of Karens that just want the trails for themselves and don't want to share with anyone else. They ranger that wrote me the ticket said that "people" were complaining about the ebikes. My observation is about half the bikes I see on the trails are ebikes.

In searching out the rules, I ran across the Electric Mountain Bike Association, which has been pushing to change the rules, mostly in southern California.
I gave them a generous donation to help their cause. If it can work down there, it can work here, and hopefully the idea spreads.

Their website is here: Electric Mountain Bike Association

They also have a petition going to get the rules changed. Please sign the petition if you want to help get ebikes allowed on park lands.
ebike petition

I'm sure they could use donations if you are inclined also.
Hello, Thanks for your work on this forum.
Today is the first time I have read about your experience.
I have experience with tickets during this age we are living through and I hope you have not just paid it becuase:
Consider: Writing a letter in your own words and in your own hand writing signed stamped and mailed USPS to the judge who will actually decide what will happen to you and will determine if the ranger had reason to interact with you that day upon his/her interpretation of the regulation in that situation in hindsight and be judged according to the book.
You may well find that a donation to a 501C of your choice will be advised. Good Luck

What about electric scooters? Those things are really dangerous. Seen a pair of kids riding one tandem going 35 MPH here. No protective gear.
I agree;some scooters can travel up to 65 mph. I haven't seen any laws about them in CA (although there must be something).

1688142822538.png

My bike is a fat tire bike with a BBSHD. It does stand out, which I think is part of the reason the ranger stopped me.

After researching the park rules, it does clearly state that ebikes are not allowed on these particular fire roads. Why, I'm not sure. I'd like to get the rules changed. Apparently there are people riding things like Sur-rons and Stealth Bombers on the trails. I don't think bikes like those should be allowed either.

Meanwhile, it looks like I can claim my bike is a "other power driven mobility device" since I'm old and I have health issues that prevent me from riding a regular bike up the hills. In the rules there is an exception for OPDMDs. Even when I was a lot younger and in good shape, I couldn't get very far on a regular bike. The hills are just too steep.

Fechter, as another victim of too many calendars past, I’m hoping you will elaborate on the success of the mobility device excuse. Would it help to carry a letter from a MD?
There are places where the rules change on fire roads and trails as they cross jurisdictional boundaries and you can find that ten miles into a ride you are suddenly breaking the rules.

Fechter looks like an electric motorcycle to me Sorry. You need to go for the homeless look make it so ugly no one wants to steal it or look at it. Make it so ugly people's heads turn away that's what I do at 43 mph.
I mean if you're ugly enough nobody wants to look at you.
Fetcher you must look like Rock Hudson going down there on your electric motorcycle.
If I was you I'd go for the hunchback of Notre Dame look one high eye one big eye a fake bump on your back and a wart on your nose with hair coming out
I'm just saying.
Make a fund I donate some money under $5

If your pic is shot in the area you received the ticket, then it's tempting me to break the rules too. Either that or pull my mountain bike down from the rafters. The health thing is interesting. If that works out, that may be the workaround. Good luck!

EDIT: I'm not sure the ticket is specifically related to regulating ebikes, but a good law to enforce from an accounting perspective. Enforcing this law generates revenue, compared to busting a shoplifter, burglar or car thief, which requires resources. Plus, someone on a nice ebike can likely afford the fine. The perfect crime, to enforce.

Last edited:
I rode the A2B for a couple years before I got the fat bike. Motor overheating was an issue at lower speeds.
There are a lot of very nice areas I can just ride my bike to.

1688192140730.png

Motorized bikes are also banned on some of the trails. I always pedal to get some exercise, but also to avoid too much attention from anyone. Also slowing down helps when there are people around.

Recently I am sighting Surrons in my area. Pretty soon, there will be a crackdown on ebikes and stricter rules.

My friend just bought an ebike and sent me a pic of a no motorized vehicles sign on the bike path by his house. East Bay Regional parks district. The sign wasn't new, but not too old, but the OmniBike law that went into effect 6 months ago removes the ability for cities or local governing bodies to prohibit ebikes on bike paths. They do have that leeway on hiking/equestrian trails. Looking at EBR, it appears to be a local governing body with respect to rules for the parks managed in the area, so at least for the path by his house, seems ebikes should be OK.

At least here in AZ, bicycles are defined as specifically *not* vehicles, so whether they are motorized or not, such signs do not apply to them (regardless of the intent of the sign). One link on the topic: Bicycles are not motor vehicles, and why it matters And since the definition in AZ title 28 doesn't use the word "exclusively" regarding human power, it means that even if it has motor assist, if it is also moved by human power, it is still not a vehicle. (how lawyers will twist everything to their advantage instead of yours, well, I can't comment on that). But just in case, the definition was updated, as discussed here Ebike bill rides again .

So here in AZ, that sign would have to specifically exclude bicycles and/or electric bicycles by name; "motorized vehicles" cannot apply to them.

(of course, if a law was passed banning bicycles or ebikes from some place or path, it wouldn't matter if there was a sign there specific to it, it would just mean that only those keeping up on the laws would know about it, which would almost certainly not include most users of it).

You should check the legal definitions where you are (usually at state level, in the department of transportation definitions) to see if bicycles are classed the same way there.

Note that just like with any other law / definition, this doesn't mean you wouldn't be harassed, ticketed, etc--just that you could use that in a court to (assuming the people are sensible) have it tossed out.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what their rationale for banning ebikes is, but my guess it's a bunch of Karens that just want the trails for themselves and don't want to share with anyone else. They ranger that wrote me the ticket said that "people" were complaining about the ebikes. My observation is about half the bikes I see on the trails are ebikes.
What a bummer, man. Feels like ebiking has finally hit that critical mass inflection point similar to the great ski-vs-snowboard era.

Hopefully it shakes out the same way eventually where everybody just co-exists.

There is no co-existence in the "OC" (CA) where e-MTB's are prohibited from all city, county and state park areas. However, enforcement is minimal in most areas, so they proliferate.

What he bikes are prohibited in Orange county ?
I haven't seen it down here in the southern end. But we're pretty quiet and came down here. I understand in LA or even more in San Francisco where everyone's so compact. Or like the crackdown a few years ago in New York City where all the pizza and Chinese food delivery guys or just riding all over the place they had to shut it down. With all these 12 to 15 year old kids that don't know what they're doing popular lilies and tearing up the grass will have new laws oh yeah you're not supposed to ride an electric e-bike to your after 16.

I live in Fairfield Ca...northern..love China camp haven't been there in awhile, we have a mountain bike park, rockville regional but ebikes are NOT allowed, too bad such a nice park..recently some people were in disagreement and a poll was setup where you payed the waterbill and it was a one question poll. Should ebikes be allowed at Rockville...of course I answered YES.

Well that is the world of today. Everything gets forbidden for everyone if it bothers one or two c**ts who complain loudly enough.

That's been going on worlwide for pretty much anything.

The only way to solve it is to complain louder.

Back