E-mountain bike trail access - WSJ article

sk8norcal

1 MW
http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-fight-to-ride-electric-mountain-bikes-on-the-trail-1411599454

The Fight to Ride Electric Mountain Bikes on the Trail
Older Adventurers Tangle With Preservationists Over Battery-Aided Bicycles

Michael Kelley has jumped on a mountain bike almost every weekend since off-road bicycles were invented in the late 1970s. This year Mr. Kelley, 71, purchased a new one powered by an electric motor, which pushes him uphill when he gets tired.

"It takes me so long to ride to the tops of the hills now that it wasn't that fun anymore," says Mr. Kelley, who lives in Berkeley, Calif. "I've been riding for decades and I hope to be riding for decades more."

Electric mountain bikes—commonly called e-mountain bikes in the cycling industry—are relatively new to the U.S. market. Manufacturers say the bikes will attract new participants and help older riders like Mr. Kelley stay in the sport.

A look at the handlebar controls for the electric motor on Mr. Kelley's Haibike. ENLARGE
A look at the handlebar controls for the electric motor on Mr. Kelley's Haibike. MICHAL CZERWONKA FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
The bikes, however, have ignited a dispute between manufacturers, mountain bike advocacy groups and riders. The argument hinges on whether the bikes should be allowed on the same trails as traditional mountain bikes.

The debate hasn't slowed early adopters from purchasing the bikes. According to Larry Pizzi, chairman of an industry group called the Electric Bicycle Committee, at least nine companies plan to sell e-mountain bikes in the U.S. in 2015 to meet demand, up from five in 2014.

"They make mountain biking accessible to people who don't want to work hard or can't work hard," says Mr. Pizzi, who also sells e-bikes through his company, Currie Technologies. "It's a huge opportunity to get more people on mountain bikes."

E-mountain bikes carry a hefty sticker price. Felt Bicycles' Lebowske model retails for around $5,800, while Haibike's Xduro line ranges from $4,000 to $9,500.

Whether the bikes crack into cycling's mainstream depends on trail access. In many states, the bikes aren't permitted on many trails because they are considered motorized vehicles, similar to motorcycles.

Mr. Kelley's e-mountain bike uses a lightweight lithium-ion battery. ENLARGE
Mr. Kelley's e-mountain bike uses a lightweight lithium-ion battery. MICHAL CZERWONKA FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
The bikes have yet to win the support of the International Mountain Bicycling Association, mountain biking's lobbying group, which has persuaded land managers such as the National Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management to allow traditional mountain bikes on trails.

Steve Hall, a BLM spokesman, says the agency views e-bikes as motorized vehicles, so they are prohibited from trails designated for foot traffic, horses or mountain bikes.

"If there is significant public interest, the BLM could consider changing the designation," he says. "It's safe to say the consensus in the recreational community right now is that what we regard as mountain bikes don't have motors."

The mountain biking association also has regularly battled with the Sierra Club and other hiking advocacy groups that want to keep mountain bikes off trails. Many land managers now use the distinction "motorized" and "nonmotorized" to regulate trails.

Mr. Kelley's e-mountain bike looks like a traditional mountain bike but uses a pedal-assist motor. ENLARGE
Mr. Kelley's e-mountain bike looks like a traditional mountain bike but uses a pedal-assist motor. MICHAL CZERWONKA FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
Association representatives recently said the group wouldn't lobby land managers on behalf of e-mountain bike manufacturers or riders. "We remain true to the position that mountain biking is a human-powered and nonmotorized sport," says Mike Van Abel, president of the association.

Electric bicycles have been popular in Asia and Europe for decades. U.S. distributors have advertised e-bikes as environmentally conscious commuter vehicles since in the mid-1990s. Fueled by heavy lead-acid batteries, earlier e-bikes often weighed more than 50 pounds and suffered from a lack of power.

Recent advancements in lithium-ion batteries have trimmed weight and new pedal-assisted motors have added oomph to the bikes. European manufacturers began producing e-bikes four years ago that used strong motors, fat tires and shock-absorbing suspension. Unlike their utilitarian predecessors, these e-mountain bikes were designed specifically for recreation, not commuting.

The Haibike, from Germany's Winora Group, was one of the first e-mountain bikes to hit the market, in 2010. They reached the U.S. in 2014.

Susanne Puello, the company's chief executive, says some manufacturers laughed at the concept. Elderly riders were first to buy e-mountain bikes, she says, but they quickly attracted younger buyers.

Lapierre Bicycles will debut its Overvolt line of e-mountain bikes in the U.S. in 2015. At least nine companies plan to sell them in the U.S. in 2015, up from five in 2014. ENLARGE
Lapierre Bicycles will debut its Overvolt line of e-mountain bikes in the U.S. in 2015. At least nine companies plan to sell them in the U.S. in 2015, up from five in 2014. LAPIERRE BICYCLES
"We saw right away there was a huge interest from cyclists, so you really can't make fun of it," Ms. Puello says. Sales of e-mountain bikes generate 40% of the Winora Group's total annual revenues of $256 million.

It's no surprise that U.S. distributors see an opportunity to jump-start flat bicycle sales, which have vacillated between $5.8 billion and $6.1 billion a year since 2005, according to the National Bicycle Dealers Association.

Lifelong motorcycle rider Don Kelley, a general contractor in Winnetka, Calif., who isn't related to Michael Kelley, says the e-mountain bikes hooked him on mountain biking. He disputes the argument that e-mountain bikes are similar to motorcycles. "People think you hit the gas and the bike just takes off and that's not even close," he says. "It assists you when you pedal. It slowly picks up speed."

Still, opponents remain concerned about everything from trail damage to safety. "There are trails for ATVs and motorcycles that would be very appropriate for e-bikes," says Emil Walcek, a 65-year-old advertising executive who mountain bikes near Atlanta. "I suspect with the additional power, e-bikes will have a greater impact on the trails."

The trail-use debate has kept some manufacturers from jumping on the e-mountain bike bandwagon. Giant Bicycles, one of the world's largest bike manufacturers, sells an e-mountain bike in Europe but hasn't brought the product to the U.S. Andrew Juskaitis, senior product marketing manager for Giant, says he will do whatever he can to keep the bike away from U.S. riders.

"All you need is one rider to get busted riding an e-bike on a restricted trail and it will set off a maelstrom of anti-mountain biking sentiment," Mr. Juskaitis says. "It's going to create access issues that are already tenuous."

Mr. Pizzi of the Electric Bicycle Committee has proposed a compromise. At a recent IMBA meeting in Colorado, Mr. Pizzi presented a plan for discussing e-mountain bikes with land managers. Under the plan, bikes powered by pedal-assist motors that travel no faster than 20 miles an hour would have the same trail access as traditional mountain bikes.

Michael Kelley also attended the IMBA meeting to promote the bicycles. Mr. Kelley helped found the group, served as an original board member in 1988 and still works as a local policy advocate in Northern California. He admits he is in the minority on e-mountain bikes, but believes age could persuade others to change their views.

"I'm not in favor of restricting mountain biking to a small demographic of limited age range," Mr. Kelley says. "If explored prudently, I think these bikes could expand our population."

Corrections & Amplifications

An earlier version misstated the higher end of the range of annual U.S. bicycle sales since 2005, according to the National Bicycle Dealers Association. It is $6.1 billion, not $6.1 million. (Sept. 25, 2014)

E-bikes are the new underdogs in the bicycleen world. It seems it wasn't all that long ago that MTBs were the scourge. Now a Federal Agency, the BLM has joined forces with the MTB'ers to eliminate us from "their" trails. There is no advocacy group for e-bikes that is organized well enough to defend us. There will be more restrictions coming.

My wife and I ride our off-road trikes in Moab (as well as other BLM/Forest Service areas in UT, CO and AZ). Before this restriction I have ridden on some of these trails that are now off-limits with e-assist. Not any more, I saw this coming and have built a pusher trailer for my trike. I can disconnect it so I can ride "their" trails legally.

It aggravates me that older Americans will be denied access to wilderness areas because we ain't 30 sumthing years old in Spandex with lungs of steel.

You can thank the stealth bombers and all the rest of the 5000 watt bikes for this I have been riding HMBA trails ( a member of INMB ) all summer long I ride with a hande cap placarded on the back of my seat , and take a lot of time answering questions and talking to other riders explaining that I am a long time mt biker that now cant ride a normal mt bike . I am also very polite on the trail I will stop and talk to other riders I was told by other HMBA riders that I have been noticed and the club is looking in to E-bikes and there leaning to if the E bike can spin the tires then no it won,t be allowed on the trails .

I ride local BLM trails that ban me with no problems whatsoever. However, I don't take a 3000w+ bike up there on a weekend when it's going to be crowded. :wink:

Nobody has yet objected to a guy with white hair riding a "bike" power level ebike on those BLM trails. They can see my bike doesn't throw rocks or rut up the trails like a real motorcycle does. I make sure people I meet understand my bike meets that federal definition of ebike, and so far the MTB crowd is buying it that my bike is legally a bike. It's all bullshit, but they are buying it. 8) In my state, there is no such thing as an ebike. All motorized bikes are motor vehicles in NM. Mopeds.

Unfortunately that area is now a National Park. I can't wait for the enforcement dicks to arrive. Hopefully it will be years before that gets funded. Maybe by then enough of us boomers will be sick, and will demand use of lower powered ebikes to be legal on the trails. But I'm not holding my breath, I'll be dead before this gets truly straightened out.

FWIW, the current BLM signage prohibits motor vehicles. Not motorized. On my local paved multi use paths, motorized vehicles are banned. So far not one cop gives a shit, as long as I ride like a gentleman.

Attitude is the key, I'm sure Moab has suffered at least a few a holes on Stealth Bombers, or similarly powered flyweight motorcycles with pedals. Being virtually the only guy riding those BLM trails on an ebike helps a lot. The locals have never seen an a hole on a bomber, just tons of a holes on Hondas and 4x4's. Compared to a rock crawler jeep tearing up the bike trail, I'm no problem at all.

MTBs in socal have a somewhat tenuous existence with the sierra club and equestrians trying to have us characterized as motorcycles. I ride a fairly stealthy ebike and, even on legal trails, just pedal when encountering other bikes or hikers/walkers. There was an outcry on the local MTB forum when an ebike was discovered in a woodsy area several months ago. I fear that a proliferation of ebikes on local trails might give the MTB enemies an upper hand in the somewhat continuous battle.

I don't think anyone has a legitimate problem with genuinely disabled folks using quiet, slow electric bicycles on bike/ped trails. At the same time, I think the only people who want to allow e-motorcycles on trails where ICE motorcycles are already banned are the e-motorcycle riders themselves.

If e-motorcyclists are not considerate, they will create more and more access restrictions for all e-bikers. Bicyclists have earned a lot of privileges and access benefits by being clean, quiet, safe, and efficient. E-bikes can, for all practical purposes, share these benefits-- as long as they operate within the bicycle envelope. Push those limits hard enough though, and e-bikes will no longer enjoy the same privileges as bicycles.

If riding like a cyclist is not enough for you, man up and make yours a legal e-motorcycle.

gogo said:
Objectivity is forced by the ADA laws which trump any 'no motorized vehicle' rules:
http://www.americantrails.org/resources/accessible/power-mobility-questions-answers.html#whe

Basically this makes freedom the default for trail use and any restriction on use has to be based on an articulated and specific rational. Arbitrary rules are prohibited and regulatory entities aren't allowed to question the nature of disability status claims.

Thanks for the link. Good information.

It appears this rule (ADA) applies only to State and local agencies.
Q. Who does this new rule apply to?
A. The Department of Justice (DOJ) has amended its regulation implementing Title II and Title III of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Title II applies to State and local governments,

The ADA doesn't apply to Federal agencies.
Q. Does the DOJ ADA rule also apply to Federal agencies?
A. The National Forest System, the National Park Service, the US Fish and Wildlife Service, and the other Federal land management agencies are not under the 1990 ADA and therefore the ADA rule does not apply directly to them. Federal agencies are under the 1968 Architectural Barriers Act (ABA).....

Methinks no motorized anything (wheelchairs included) for Moab MTB trails. BLM rules it so.

Chalo is right in that THe 5000watt bombers and Q bikes are goanna make E bikes get noticed in a bad way my local club has already noticed me but in a good way 99% thinks its cool a old mt biker that is handie cap can enjoy the tails , but the battle is looming.

rider95 said:
You can thank the stealth bombers and all the rest of the 5000 watt bikes for this.

dogman dan said:
I ride local BLM trails that ban me with no problems whatsoever. However, I don't take a 3000w+ bike up there on a weekend when it's going to be crowded. :wink:

Nobody has yet objected to a guy with white hair riding a "bike" power level ebike on those BLM trails.

There's the very first matter to be dealt with. The difference between a Stealth Bomber, which would indeed belong witb the motorcycles and ATV's that aren't all as power as it or as light; and the 250-500w pedal assist bikes. But the mountain bike crowd will see them all as Stealth Bombers. If you can't change that thinking, you can't affect anything.

Its always the person who drives it. Its not much more dangerouse than bicycling up to a point.
They should only keep some persons "crazies" from the trail and not the whole ebike communitry.
I am glad that they don't have such plans here. So i slow always to slowpass pedestrians.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
looks like the federal BLM has joined IMBA in banning e-bikes from mtn bike trails.. :evil:

BLM bans electric bikes on non-motorized trails :
http://reviews.mtbr.com/moab-blm-bans-electric-bikes-on-non-motorized-trails

saw this in the comments,
claims to be president of Currie,

As a disclaimer, I work for an eBike company (Currie Technologies), so take my comments as you will. Ebikes are relativley new to off-road trails and there are all sorts of different types out there - throttle only, throttle and pedal assist combined, pedal assist only, and all of them with different power outputs. Each of them has their place as a bicycle and appropriate on different types of bicycling infrastructure. Its my opinion that the current generation of pedal-assist only eMTB's are not any different from an impact perspective then a normal mountain bike and its my hope that once they are appropriately categorized, this type will have the privilege to go anywhere a normal bike is allowed. Earlier this summer the Bicycle Products Suppliers Association (BPSA) started working on eBike standards to help identify different classifications of eBikes so consumers, land managers, and bicycle advocacy groups can then have informed and intelligent dialog about how and where they can be used. We are still in the middle of that process, and the dialog with land mangers at the local and national level is just starting to take place. The good news with the Moab BLM office's announcement is that there are still tons of trails open to eMTB's. In the '80s and mid-90s Moab was being overrun by mountain bikes and the BLM office took steps to identify where they could be ridden. They are just doing their job and I think that at this time, this is the correct decision.

I have a Cromotor on my bike, and it has probably hit up to 10,000 watts at times, the thing is here in the UK iv never had a problem, as I dont ride any faster than the lycra clad groups on the roads, and off road I slow down to walking pace for pedestrians and horses etc, as my bike is rather heavy @ 52kg, so wouldnt want that hitting someone at speed. Luckily I very rarely see anyone else out when riding, so its highly unlikely il ever hit anyone, but I always slow down for people, I think thats where a lot of these people in the USA are going wrong, as no one likes being sprayed with gravel, and having to dive in the bushes etc. All the people I meet usually say hello and are friendly, at the last charity biking event I did I had a big group of people around me afterwards fascinated, and asking questions about the bike.

crea2k said:
I have a Cromotor on my bike, and it has probably hit up to 10,000 watts at times, the thing is here in the UK iv never had a problem, as I dont ride any faster than the lycra clad groups on the roads, and off road I slow down to walking pace for pedestrians and horses etc, as my bike is rather heavy @ 52kg, so wouldnt want that hitting someone at speed. Luckily I very rarely see anyone else out when riding, so its highly unlikely il ever hit anyone, but I always slow down for people, I think thats where a lot of these people in the USA are going wrong, as no one likes being sprayed with gravel, and having to dive in the bushes etc. All the people I meet usually say hello and are friendly, at the last charity biking event I did I had a big group of people around me afterwards fascinated, and asking questions about the bike.
You, Sir, are a Gentleman. Rules or not, those are the proper ways to behave toward others.

The first thing that pops into my mind is that an ebike would make it that much easier to get 'fresh' bodies and supplies to the places that need maintenance.

Thanks ! :) , I come from a motocross background and used to ride motorcross bikes all the time all over the countryside and everything, we used to slow down for people and horses etc, but you could see a lot of people wernt too impress with the noise they made other than anything else. My ebikes probably as powerful as my old motorcross bike when turned up to full power, but doesnt make any sound at all, so far so good, people on horses say good morning to me, and walkers do too and iv never had a complaint.

The way I see it, if you try and piss people off by tearing past them at high speed and scare the hell out of horse riders you are asking to have the wrong attention brought to you. Most of the times when I ride with a group I ride with other mountain bikers anyway so barely break 5-10mph.

Even when I ride motocross style and give it some throttle when by myself I only do it when no one else is about, one because I dont want any police that might be hanging around in the countryside seeing me, as ebikes are only supposed to do 15mph here and also I dont want to be riding into people, dogs or horses at high speed, a deer jumped out in front of me the other day, and you dont want to be hitting those at high speed, so even when no one is about you still have to be careful and keep your eyes peeled.

I think as long as you respect other trail users I cant see the problem. Im not sure why they have banned ebikes in Mohab though, as dont horses use those same trails too ?, if so horses do waaaaaay more damage than ebikes, I know here, you can tell where the horses have been as the ground looks like its been dug up with a tractor.

Luckily no trail centres have banned ebikes in the UK that I know of, the rumour about Bike Park Wales was just that, a rumour , as they put on thier facebook page that they dont have a problem with ebikes as long as they are in full working condition and the brakes work, so thats good to see, plus a lot of the others like Dalby Forest trails actually hire out ebikes to the public anyway, so I think they are pretty safe for the time being.

Horses have untouchable access rights in many parts of the United States. Here in Texas they have an unrestricted right to traffic lanes, for instance. There are a number of factors to this, but none of them apply to e-bikes: Horse owners and riders are mostly wealthy and white, with better than usual influence on policy. Horseback riding has a great deal of historical legacy and mystique. Horses are used ceremonially by law enforcement, and also to bully people in crowds and other non-automotive environments.

It's not clear to me whether it's possible for e-bikers and equestrians to form an alliance over trail access issues, but I suspect not. And none of the entrenched privileges of horse riding, legal or traditional, transfer over to e-cycling.

The 250w limit says we (in the uk) won't get this sort of bother. 250w bikes perform no better than the average rider. There is little reason to single them out.

Where a class of ebikes exist that perform differently to an ordinary bike, then you have grounds to single them out. Casting a shadow over the legitimacy of all ebikes.

Chalo said:
Horses have untouchable access rights in many parts of the United States. Here in Texas they have an unrestricted right to traffic lanes, for instance. There are a number of factors to this, but none of them apply to e-bikes: Horse owners and riders are mostly wealthy and white, with better than usual influence on policy. Horseback riding has a great deal of historical legacy and mystique. Horses are used ceremonially by law enforcement, and also to bully people in crowds and other non-automotive environments.

It's not clear to me whether it's possible for e-bikers and equestrians to form an alliance over trail access issues, but I suspect not. And none of the entrenched privileges of horse riding, legal or traditional, transfer over to e-cycling.

It is quite weird, as it only takes a few horses to mash up the ground more than a motocross bike

That's certainly my experience riding bicycles where both horses and motocross bikes have previously been.

Now if this was ebikes or motorcross bikes there would be hell to play, but because its horses its fine, quite where the logic in that is I don't know, plus ebikers don't randomly take a crap in the middle of the trails either.

horse.jpg

Ah the horse ppl they seem to hate everyone who doesn't sleep n eat every thing horses' and do more damage to the trails then any other trail user , even motocoss bikes don,t tear up a trail like horse's do only big 4 wheel drive,s do more damage . Hikers can,t even use a trail after horse's

Keeping your ebike stealthy and quiet goes a long ways. When I road my cyclone setup, I would get noticed. My BMC rarely gets noticed.

Back