Grin does it again!

amberwolf said:
Not in the budget at all, but it's still an interesting idea, and gives me an idea for how I might modify an existing hubmotor to take an IGH. ;)

totally... I'm kinda curious why I haven't seen this done already on this site... the mental mockup model tells me only a handful of custom parts are required to mate an appropriate hub with an IGH.

My guess is that anyone that thought of it didn't really need to have it in the motor itself, or decided it was more work than it was worth, since it doesn't give the *motor* gearing.

I don't know that I'll ever get around to it either, but now that I've had the thought, my mind has been pondering all day while I've been at work about it, and spit out an idea how I might do it with parts I have here already, and not have to even buy a large-diameter bearing for the one side cover to go around the IGH body on the one side (so the phase/hall/etc wires can go around the IGH since they can't go thru the axle anymore).

Here's a link to the thread I just made to consider the idea; I'll get at least crude sketches up as soon as I can draw them out.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75874

FWIW: It is probably possible to give a *geared* motor an internal IGH, if you have a wide enough frame space for it (probably not on a normal bike frame, but something like my trike...), but it is probably a better idea to use such a motor outside the wheel and just run it thru the IGH. ;)

Leebolectric said:
Seems perfect for fat bikes, as they are the ones that need a derailleur-less chainline most.

Well, yes... but if the hub has a traditional 43mm to 52mm chainline, then the chain will have to depart the rear sprocket at an angle to clear the tire. This is much harder for a chain to do if there isn't a derailleur guiding the chain back into the rear sprocket. I ran across this with a recent Luna cargo fatbike build. The single speed chain primary didn't work without a derailleur to reconcile the lateral discrepancy between the ring and the rear sprocket.

Internal gear hubs are just about reliable enough to do the job of transmitting human power. I've broken a couple of really nice ones because I can put out more power than the average human. So before we can seriously consider driving such hubs with several times the power and torque of an average cyclist, the hubs will have to become substantially heavier and stronger.

Does nobody else here remember the Sachs/SRAM Sparc 5 speed hub with motor?

Chalo said:
Does nobody else here remember the Sachs/SRAM Sparc 5 speed hub with motor?
Embarassing, but you're right: I had forgotten about this one (which while before my time here, at the time was more or less dismissed because it doesn't put the motor power thru the gears, and was a tiny <200w motor, IIRC).

Here's a thread from 2008 about it
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3045
and it's been mentioned now and then if you search on "sparc".

There are some pics of it's internals at the very bottom of this very intreresting page here:
http://www.rideyourbike.com/sramIGH.shtml

which I've also attached below
View attachment 2
sparcguts2.jpg
sparcguts3.jpg

Well I have been thinking about this the past days. While the idea is refreshing the outcome as it stands are kind of nothing really. I can think of various ways to put an IGH to work then inside a hubmotor. What about just lacing up a rim to a IGH and run the hub as mid drive? Or use the IGH as a jackshaft?

If someone can think of a way to modify that hub/IGH combo to actually let the IGH change the RPM of the hub I can see it become useful to a much wider customer base.

For someone wanting a clean drivetrain, this looks like a great solution.

Since it's a direct drive, would it hold up if 2000w were pushed through it?

macribs said:
... What about just lacing up a rim to a IGH and run the hub as mid drive? Or use the IGH as a jackshaft?

I'm pretty sure several of our board members, including me have done this on trikes. There's lots of room on a trike to do all sorts of silly things.
I run a geared Bafang and the pedals through the input of a Davinci CVT used as a jackshaft on my looong trike for about 4 years now (pedal chains' on a freewheel)
I am currently running a MXUS geared into the input of a 3-speed Sturmey-Archer (although I expect the IGH to eventually fail) on my 3rd trike. The hub is also a jackshaft.

johnxsi said:
Since it's a direct drive, would it hold up if 2000w were pushed through it?

It's an electric motor. Probably, at least for a while.

If you're keeping track of temperatures, you should be fine. Heat is the killer.

There has been very little information about this motor on the Sphere. Well I have installed one on a KMX trike and I am pleased with the results. If you are a speed freak you can look elsewhere but this is a nice motor that will do the job silently. It is also nice not dealing with a derailleur.

The build thread and motor evaluation is here:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93873&p=1409401#p1409401

I note that GRIN is getting their levels back up to par.

Well the long wait is finally over as the containers trickle in. We're back to having full stock of Downtube and LiGo batteries, CA3 devices, rims, and many other parts for sending out complete kit systems again. The only key item missing now are the Baserunner_L10 motor controllers for medium to high power kits, and those are expected sometime in August.

However among hub motors, the TDCM IGH motors are still "out of stocK". Does anyone know if these are still being manufactured or if this was one of those ideas that did not survive the marketplace.

LewTwo said:
I note that GRIN is getting their levels back up to par.

Well the long wait is finally over as the containers trickle in. We're back to having full stock of Downtube and LiGo batteries, CA3 devices, rims, and many other parts for sending out complete kit systems again. The only key item missing now are the Baserunner_L10 motor controllers for medium to high power kits, and those are expected sometime in August.

However among hub motors, the TDCM IGH motors are still "out of stocK". Does anyone know if these are still being manufactured or if this was one of those ideas that did not survive the marketplace.

Bump

Back