• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

GT i-drive 2.0 Build

(repost to top of page)
[youtube]q-wIM2KSmLg[/youtube]
dbaker said:
Great urban jumps, Greg :D What did the intel guy say when he saw all of the lipo bricks with wires?
thanks. dessert camo dude said over radio: "Looks like just RC batteries in here..." smartest one of whole bunch. :wink:

btw, i'd pumped the tires up to 60 psi before the commute, no good for the muddy path!

my suspension will need some attention next... i need a new valve thing for the rear (fox) shock. the valve cover won't come off and i'd squirt WD40 on it, but last time, as you noted, it penetrated the shrader valve on my propane tanks, so i'm not sure that the right move. so when i used pliers to remove the valve cover, the entire nut started turning (and air started escaping). so i'd hate to try again and completely deflate it, without having another valve thingy handy and no lbs seem to have them. time to research 'valve thingy'...

love that camera angle G.
I am looking foward to running some footage with these angle on some Motocross training soon. May be an epic fail, but you allways insire.
T

For a schrader valve, try a local plumbing outfit. We used to have them at the local hardware store(thats long gone now). I have a bunch of them left over from some motorcycle shocks i have in the scrap box. I will check them for compatability tonight with my fox shocks I am playing with.

If I have a match, it yours for the price of a stamp.

Thud said:
love that camera angle G. I am looking foward to running some footage with these angle on some Motocross training soon. May be an epic fail, but you allways insire. T
wow, that's nice. thanks, T! your camera isn't a wide angle so i guess you'd have to mount it further back. problem there is the camera won't be protected w/in area of wheel...

btw, some folks use 1" pvc for surf board mounts, etc. nicer on the body for sure (no splinters, lol), but too flexible? also the further from the main frame, the more wobble... triangle bracing might be ok. but what am i talking about, you're the engineer. :lol: i'm looking forward to the vids!

Great angle! The best one yet in my opinion! you need to take all your cool angles and edit them into one bitchen E-Bike vid with a rockin soundtrack for us to watch!

thanks, whiplash. even though it makes my ankles look like someone's grandmother's? :lol:

anyway, the valve is actually what goes inside, right? the tiny thing that has to get pushed to open when pumped...

so really, i just need to get this valve cover off, but i'm worried that if i hit it w/ wd40 it will cause the actual valve inside to leak. AND, the valve cover/threads may be ruined? because of force using pliers that causes post/nut/what's-it-called to turn and leak...
fox_float_stuck_valve_cover.jpg

WD shouldn't hurt the valve. It's recessed in the stem, anyway.

If the cap won't come off easily in-situ, just unscrew the stem from the shock and deal with it on the bench.

G,
That whole assembly describes a schrader valve. They come in NPT thread & standard machine thread (o-ring sealed) in ASE & metric. your issue is the cap has been crimped onto the threaded body jambing the whole works together.

grab the nut section with a proper wrench & gently grab twist the cap off with a light grip from a vise grip...asjust the preasure untill it grips & comes off, or destroyes the unit as a whole! :twisted:

But do wait till you have a replacment handy. (do you have a high presuer pump to re-charge the shock?)

Another option is to take a file & cut thru the edge of the cap to release some tension on it. use a sharp corner & make a vertical cut across the threads. The cap is soft brass under the thin chrome plate. Ive had to deal with this kind of thing a few times re-building motorcycle suspensions.

thanks, guys! sounds like a plan! i do have the high pressure pump - dude who sold me the bike included it. :wink: (can't believe what i got for $350!) the fox seems like an upgrade as most others appear to have spring...

might be a challenge to find the replacement. i'll start looking. any suggestions? (nevermind, found one)

ps. i'd have thought WD40 wouldn't have been a problem for valves either but ruined two propane tanks by squirting the outer threads only to find some tiny amount must have gotten in the valve and they started leaking immediately...

meanwhile, i'm obsessed with this hole, right around the corner from my office:
20110606-035321.jpg

this is roughly four city blocks. it's now really deep, and the dump trucks drive in and out all day long.

looks like there might be some sweet jumps in there. :lol:

i asked the two dudes at the entrance if i could go in on my bike. they said no way! i said what if i did? they said, you'd probably get yelled at. i said, is that all? that would be fine with me... :lol:

knoxie, you're the big construction safety guy here. what would happen if someone dashed around one of your job sites, mucked around for a minute, then escaped? :mrgreen:

there are some no trespassing signs, violators will be prosecuted, etc. but i'm not going to spend an hour in there...

:shock: When they yell, just say you made a wrong turn! :D

Looks pretty dry. Maybe you can use the tires you have on now. Are they doing haz mat removal?

Dealing with health and safety everyday and having been a construction worker, here is my 2 cents.

If you went in while they were working they would seriously be pissed off. It could mean a whole lot of paper work for the foreman and a big fine for you at the worst. Or getting run over by large equipment. At the least, you are going to get yelled at and they are going think you are an idiot. I really wouldn't suggest it. If I were in charge of the sight and some one came on it with his bike while equipment was working, I would do everything I could to get the cops involved and get him fined.

If you went in at night after they were done working on the other hand. They would probably know someone was in there from the tracks, but it would be hard to do anything about it. If you hurt yourself bad while you were in there, then the paper work would probably start again.

Either way could also mean a fine for the company that is running the site, especially if you get hurt. It is up to them to keep the place and any visitors or workers to the site safe. And to keep any yahoos that might try to get it in out, so they do not hurt themselves.

Clay

Here's another stalk mounted GoPro recording a motorcyclist.

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2010/10/04/bst_gopro_hd_camera.fortune/

I do not wish you the same fate. :shock:

Ambrose

GCinDC said:
thanks, clay. appreciate the feedback. i grew up playing in construction sites, but sometimes need to be reminded that childhood is over. :mrgreen:

or, i could just buy a farm and a bobcat... :twisted:

No worries Greg. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a lot of fun. There is just a place for everything and unfortunately in the city there just aren't enough big piles of dirt and empty space to rip around in. On the other side of the coin, you get some awesome urban terrain to play in and lots of traffic to play with. :)

Clay

guess google has some work to do on their bike routes... those sections i was hauling bike over rocks, steps were here, to get on and off the C&O towpath:
googlebikeroute.jpg

no way to get a proper wrench on the valve nut, but a screwdriver held the nut and generous helping of WD40 eased the corrosion, allowing me (w/ vice grips) to attach the pump. i was happy to see it at 205, since i'd left it at 225 over a year ago! i topped it off at 250 (max suggested by previous owner).
IMG_20110625_130414.jpg

good cam angle,i cant wait to see inside that hub one day. :)

before this week's 'derailleur' mount, i had the gopro under the 'bottom bracket' for a couple weeks. this is pitting that occurred under there in that little time:
IMG_1944.JPG
i'm on my second replacement lens now (for the outer shell - the raw lens still has two large gouges!)

dbaker said:
What is the difference between GoPro Hero HD 960 and the regular GoPro HD camera?
funny that you mention that!!!!

check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://wimp.com/seagullsteals/

I built a ebike with a gt idrive 2!!!

it was ok but the riding position was too bent over and bad for back. ALSO!!!! i drive feeds back the rear suspension damping into the cranks, so actually the saddle stays the same but the pedals move up and down the same as the stones, to avoid uphill bobbling..

therefore it is a bit of a bad choice for an ebike. I just bought this:
all new :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150623482773&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Back