Hand fatigue from a thumb throttle

eSurfer

100 W
I've been commuting to work for two weeks on my newly acquired eBike, and have been enjoying it immensely. However, I'm finding that my hand, especially my thumb, is hurting holding it in the same position to keep the throttle depressed for extended periods. Is there a better solution than a thumb lever throttle? Maybe a twist, or what?

Yes, I find twist throttles easier for long distance - but if you have a thumb throttle (I found riding quads), if you put your hand/ thumb right over the throttle, and just squeeze your hand closed, rather than pushing with your thumb, it is much less tiring

A half twist is a little easier on your hand, but the ultimate solution is to use PAS(pedal assist system)and cruise control with the throttle.
Whether or not your bike has these, I can't say.
I don't see anywhere in your 30 posts where you have bothered to tell us what your ebike is.

PRW said:
Yes, I find twist throttles easier for long distance - but if you have a thumb throttle (I found riding quads), if you put your hand/ thumb right over the throttle, and just squeeze your hand closed, rather than pushing with your thumb, it is much less tiring
+1
Wearing gloves helps the grip and hold also. :wink:

Enable cruise control so you only use the throttle to set initial speed. Almost all modern controllers have CC even if it's not enabled.

I find half twist throttles less fatiguing than a thumb.

You can convert a thumb to add half twist. It's possible to use pvc cement to glue a short section of 1" thick wall Pvc pipe to your thumb throttle. Careful with the glue though, so you don't glue the throttle in the off position.

cruise control would be ideal for rides with long stretches with no stops. Though I've done really long rides, all I ever did was jam the rubber grip hard enough against the throttle to make it sticky. But even without that, you can ride open palmed and very relaxed, using just palm friction to keep the half twist throttle open. For sure, on any ride over 15 miles, you simply cannot ride all day gripping the handlebars real hard.

exercises10655.jpg

1st world problems, eh? But why wouldn’t someone use cruise control? Mine takes over in 2 seconds.

If that’s not option and your thumb gets sore then change how you’re applying (as some mentioned lay your palm over the lever) or use different design throttle.

Personally, I like thumb throttles but not everybody likes what I like.

I have arthritic damage to both hands and cannot hold anything for too long before numbness sets in. I bought a second thumb throttle for the left hand bar and spliced the wires to the ones on the first throttle. The two in parallel work fine and I can seamlessly switch hands. The left throttle is backwards but it wasn't hard getting used to it.

As an alternative to CC, one could always wire a switch in between the throttle +V wire and the sense wire with a resistor, or variable resistor, to simulate a position of the throttle.

On my one ebike with a thumb throttle I twist it high enough that I use the base of my thumb making it somewhere between a thumb throttle and palm throttle...no tired thumb ever in that config and I find it gives me better stable speed throttle control, since none of my bikes (just like no car or moto I've owned) are ridden around at WOT.

Yep, the exact positioning of the thumb throttle is crucial. A fem mm rotation can make a world of difference.

But my favorite throttle ever, was the converted thumb, which was then both thumb and half twist type.

For sure, cruise control is a feature to get if you can.

On some thumb throttles if you tighten them close enough to a rubber grip, they will not easily spring back to closed. It works much like using a throttle lock on a motorcycle. I prefer this setup of a mechanical cruise control. Just make sure you don't let it bite you in the ass! :)

Cruise control that dangerous button I had it stick on in with my vehicle full throttle and I had to let it go and flipping into a tree just stop it. After that I cut the cruise control wire no more cruise control at 5000 watts. Yea when your crashing ditch the bike, just let go and worry about yourself.

eSurfer said:
However, I'm finding that my hand, especially my thumb, is hurting holding it in the same position to keep the throttle depressed for extended periods.

Try this:

Mark the thumb throttle for the place it is at for the normal speed you ride at (cruising).

Turn off the bike.

Loosen the set screw that keeps the throttle body from rotating on the handlebars.

Sit on the bike and hold the bars like normal riding position.

Rotate the throttle body itself around so that your thumb tip ends up in a comfortable spot that lines up with the mark on the body for cruise position.

Tigthen the set screw.

Test ride it and see if it's better, and readjust as needed till it's right.

For myself, I set up the controls so I can grip with my hand or thumb, for long cruises, but I don't have to rest on the bars for my trike or bike configurations.

999zip999 said:
Cruise control that dangerous button I had it stick on in with my vehicle full throttle and I had to let it go and flipping into a tree just stop it. After that I cut the cruise control wire no more cruise control at 5000 watts. Yea when your crashing ditch the bike, just let go and worry about yourself.
Pull either one of the ebrakes to disengage the motor and CC. Push the CC button again to disengage it (assuming you're not using the stupid automatic CC that sets holding throttle in same position for X number of seconds). Hit the throttle again. That will even disengage the automatic CC. Hit the kill switch. Pull one side of the battery connection.

amberwolf said:
eSurfer said:
However, I'm finding that my hand, especially my thumb, is hurting holding it in the same position to keep the throttle depressed for extended periods.

Try this:

Mark the thumb throttle for the place it is at for the normal speed you ride at (cruising).

Turn off the bike.

Loosen the set screw that keeps the throttle body from rotating on the handlebars.

Sit on the bike and hold the bars like normal riding position.

Rotate the throttle body itself around so that your thumb tip ends up in a comfortable spot that lines up with the mark on the body for cruise position.

Tigthen the set screw.

Test ride it and see if it's better, and readjust as needed till it's right.

For myself, I set up the controls so I can grip with my hand or thumb, for long cruises, but I don't have to rest on the bars for my trike or bike configurations.

Yes, you are right. That helped a lot. Thanks.

I was continuing to get thumb and hand pain so I finally did something about that thumb throttle. Went on eBay and bought a regular twist throttle for $15, installed easily and I'm loving my eBike again. So much more comfortable that I'm asking myself why I didn't do this a long time ago.

I had lots of pain, after a couple miles, with my thumb throttle. After about 300 miles of off and on riding, the pain went away.

The trigger throttle on my Subaru Robin powered gas bike has never caused pain.

That said, I'd rather have a twist grip throttle, like on the motorcycle.

Increase PAS.
To many n00bs crash bike by not shutting them down when moving the bike around and end up twisting the throttle and BAM! Repair work at best.
One of my bikes has PAS level so high i just have to lightly pedal to get to speed.

tomjasz said:
Increase PAS.
To many n00bs crash bike by not shutting them down when moving the bike around and end up twisting the throttle and BAM! Repair work at best.
One of my bikes has PAS level so high i just have to lightly pedal to get to speed.

My low-end conversion job doesn't have PAS. Would love to have it, but don't want it bad enough to spend the money for a new system. $15 on eBay for a twist throttle and I am golden.

Back