Hardtail eMTB using hub drive as mid drive

Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster, looking to gain some knowledge from the depths of ES. Been interested in bike for a while and finally decided to build one.

The Goal:
-Create a functional mid drive system for short mountainous single track bike trips (max speed: 35mph, range: 20 miles)
-Have it be removable from the bike
-Have it cost less than the current investment ($500)

The bafang systems appealed to me, as well as the CYC stealth, however cost and avalibility put those out of reach. Plus, what is the fun in just taking it out of the box? (besides more bike time, and less cursing in the garage time :D ) Because of this I gravitated toward the hub drive as a mid drive conversions seen on this forum and else where. The small form factor of hub motors (esp. geared) lends themselves well to being used inside the triangle for mid drive config. which in turn allows for much better torque control. THATS THE THEORY AT LEAST!!

The Bike:
2013 Trek X-Caliber size LG
Upgrades:
-2016 Rockshox RECON 120mm (slacked out head angle)
-single speed conversion (eBay narrow-wide up front)
-new brake levers, stem, handlebars, rims, cranks, pedals, paint etc.
The bike cost me $300 in 2014, and I completely overhauled it last year for under $200 using mostly used parts.

Current Parts:
-Greenworks Commercial 82v battery pack GL900 (12.5 ah, 900+Wh, 20s5p) ......$75
-Bafang DC36v motor ( I believe the SWx02) .......$23
Both of these parts were purchased from batteryclearinghouse.com. Other folks on ES have had mixed results with BCH but so far my experience has been stellar. Incredible customer service, good products and great prices. Dan over there has been the best to work with, and I cannot recommend them enough.

Phew! Long winded, I apologize. First post problems. Also, shout out to spinningmagnets and motomech for great posts and content about a lot of these things, as well as all of ES for answering a bunch of my questions already.

Attachments

• IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_3405.jpg
    IMG_3405.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_3406.jpg
    IMG_3406.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 578
Here are some of the questions I am working with and seeking insight on:

72v nom battery...36v motor...? Are you an idiot? While I am a novice, I am under the impression you can over volt a motor pretty significantly with decent results. I am wondering if I am going to shred the plastic reduction gears the first time I use it, and if so, can I remove them and simply run the motor as a direct drive w/o the gears?

With a hub motor as a mid drive, I believe I cannot use a throttle, and need a PAS controller? (no freewheel in BB)

I am not looking to draw more than 30 amps out of the controller, 25 or even 20 would be better for longevity. What controller would ES recommend for 72v contorller(need greater than 84v MOSFETs, I believe 100v is most common size) that has pedal assist, and is not crazy expensive? **most pressing question**

What about the gearing required? I have seen the front brake rotor swapped for a gear, I think I am trying to go that route.

unemployed.Bobcat said:
72v nom battery...36v motor...? Are you an idiot? While I am a novice, I am under the impression you can over volt a motor pretty significantly with decent results. I am wondering if I am going to shred the plastic reduction gears the first time I use it, and if so, can I remove them and simply run the motor as a direct drive w/o the gears?
You could remove the gears, but at that point you have a *really really really fast* DD hub with not all that much torque. You would then need to use external gearing (high-ratio belt/chain sprockets, gearbox, etc) to convert that very high speed motor down to a crank-tolerable speed.

Overvolting itself isn't an issue. Overspeeding it vs the output RPM you want is. Since with a non-freewheeling-cranks system that drives the pedals with the motor, you want an output speed compatible with your feet on the cranks and pedalling speeds, (best done without huge gear ratios between the motor output and the cranks), then doubling the voltage (and still using full throttle) would be a problem.

So as long as you do something (manual or automated) to limit the motor *speed* to something within reasonable gearing between motor and cranks to get reasonable pedal speeds (or you have a system that does not drive the pedals from the motor), then you can use any voltage you want on the motor system.

The Cycle Analyst v3 by Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca is one possible automation system for this purpose.

With a hub motor as a mid drive, I believe I cannot use a throttle, and need a PAS controller? (no freewheel in BB)
There's no technical reason you can't use a throttle, as long as you can control your input to it. ;)

Is there a specific reason to not have a freewheel at the pedals? You can have one if you like, it just complicates the design.

A stokemonkey-style system where the motor drives a leftside crank chainring which drives the BB shaft which drives the rightside chainring doesn't have the possibility of freewheeling cranks without a special crank design (some of them have been designed on ES over the years, dunno if any were made).

But you could drive a rightside chainring that does freewheel without driving the cranks, or you could do an Urban Commuter style drive that passes the pedal chain to the motor and *then* to the wheel, so the pedals drive the motor but hte mtoor doesn't drive the pedals.

There are other variations as well.

Note that there isn't any "easy" existing way to make a middrive thru your rear drivetrain that is easily removable. All the ways I can think of would be harder (most, significantly so) than using a hubmotor in the wheel instead (just pull the wheel and swap it for a regular one; depending on which goals are in what priority order.

There are even ways (see Crossbreak's threads) to modify a geared hubmotor to drive it's axle as a shaft, and mount it by it's casing, if you're up for that level of DIY. Makes a more compact mount and easier to make the mount.

BTW, I can't tell what your pedal gearing actually is now, but if you only have one gear, there's not much point in putting a hubmotor on a bike to drive the pedal drivetrain, instead of in the wheel, unless your intent is just to be able spin the motor really fast with high voltage just so you can gear it back down to get it thru the cranks, but not take advantage of the ability to shift gears for the climbing / non-flat-terrain stuff (which is the usual reason for wanting or needing a middrive).

I am not looking to draw more than 30 amps out of the controller, 25 or even 20 would be better for longevity. What controller would ES recommend for 72v contorller(need greater than 84v MOSFETs, I believe 100v is most common size) that has pedal assist, and is not crazy expensive? **most pressing question**
Before you decide on a controller, you should finalize the mechanical design of the system and decide on all the features it must have so that you can be sure the controller you get supports those, directly or indirectly.

Please also note that most controllers with any form of PAS input control *only* drive at full power whenever they detect any pedalling above whatever their turn-on point is. Full power being the full power of whatever assist level is currently chosen on the display, if it has one and if it has multiple levels of assist.

If you want fine PAS control over the power, and not just on/off full/none, I recommend using a "dumb" throttle-only controller, and then using hte Cycle Analyst v3 to take your control inputs and turn them into a throttle signal for it, so you can tune the system anyway you like.

It will add significantly to the cost of your system, but it is worth the control you can get over the system.

What about the gearing required? I have seen the front brake rotor swapped for a gear, I think I am trying to go that route.

If you are driving the cranks to drive the rear wheel, swapping your front brake rotor out for a gear would not do anything but remove your front braking ability.

You could swap out the rear brake rotor for a gear, but this results in the same thing, only in the rear, because the motor-driven crank chainline does not go to that side, it only goes to the non-brake side.

The only way either of those will work is if you are not driving the cranks with the motor, but instead are driving the wheel directly, and if you are doing that, you might as well just put the motor in the wheel (front or rear)--it will save you a whole lot of work, time, and money making the middrive mounting, and it will also be a lot easier to take the motor off when you don't want it on there. ;)

Now, if you are driving the cranks iwth the motor, and you don't have a freewheel on them, then unless the pedal drivetrain is geared for comfortable pedalling at 35mph (or whatever your max motor-assisted speed is intended to be), you won't be able to put your feet on the pedals while going those speeds, and will need to ride with your feet up and out of the way of the flailing cranks, which will make it difficult to control the bike and balance, etc. ;)

So you need to either:
--gear the pedal drivetrain for that fastest speed, or
--limit your motor speed to not drive the pedals any faster than you can do it yourself safely and comfortably, or
--use a setup that lets the pedals not be driven by the motor

So, all that said, how exactly do you want the bike to operate? How do you want it to react to your input by providing what specific kind and amount of assist, under what specific conditions? What kind of DIY and/or budget limitations do you have?

Considering those and listing the requirements in order of importance will help you (and help us help you) design a drive system that will do them, within whatever limitations you have if possible.

unemployed.Bobcat said:
The Goal:
-Create a functional mid drive system for short mountainous single track bike trips (max speed: 35mph, range: 20 miles)
-Have it be removable from the bike

The Bike:
2013 Trek X-Caliber size LG
Upgrades:
-single speed conversion (eBay narrow-wide up front)

Mid-drive and single speed don't usually work well together. You might be able to get away with it with a big mid drive motor, but with a small geared motor, you may be stuck with one slow speed.

unemployed.Bobcat said:

Had to go do some math and stuff for this, so saved it for after the other parts to get them posted quicker.

Best guesstimate is that 35mph on *flat terrain* with no wind and good road surfaces is going to take perhaps 30-40wh/mile or more (and worse under less perfect conditions). THe simulator linked below will help you find out what it might actually take.

35mph on "mountainous single track" is likely to take quite a lot more than that, perhaps several times, depending on actual conditions. You can estimate this from your knowledge of those conditions in the http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html just using any of the small 350w-or-so geared hubmotors listed there in your existing bike's wheelsize, with whatever controller and battery size is necessary to reach those speeds with it on that terrain. Will take a bit of experimentation; here's a starting point that gets you 35mph on flat ground:
https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=MG310_STD&batt=B7223_AC&cont=C40&axis=mph
but at 50wh/mile and overheat in six minutes, putting about 1500w into a ~"350w" (mabye "500w") motor, assuming default of 100w input from you, too, and 220lb total weight rider and bike, and pulls 1800w out of the battery. This one
https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=MG310_STD&batt=B7223_AC&cont=C40&axis=mph&cont_b=C40&motor_b=MG310_STD&batt_b=B7223_AC&gear_b=2.5&bopen=true&grade_b=5
compares that to same thing on a 5% slope, which overheats twice as fast and only goes 32mph, using 1800w (2200w out of the battery) at 70wh/mile. Make that a 10% slope and
https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?motor=MG310_STD&batt=B7223_AC&cont=C40&axis=mph&cont_b=C40&motor_b=MG310_STD&batt_b=B7223_AC&gear_b=2.5&bopen=true&grade_b=10
you get 2 minutes out of it, 29mph, and 2kw into the motor out of 2600w out of the battery, at 92wh/mile. Etc.

When you have what you want setup in the hubmotor version (or just using the above examples), you can turn it into a middrive and play with gearing and battery voltage to do the same thing and see if it makes any difference to the results.

I'm not sure that motor will be able to produce enough power without overheating quickly to do what you're after. If you gear it down enough to not overheat on the mountainous stuff, it won't go the speed you want at the same time. You may find a gearing compromise that works with that motor to do both (or at least close to what you're after), but you'll need to be able to shift gears quite a range to do it, and it wont' be able to do both at the same time.

The simulator will help you find out what size motor, battery and controller you're going to need to do both at the same time. My guess is you'll need something capable of several times the power that motor could handle, and the battery you have may not be sufficient (what is it's max continuous current output capability?

As long as you are willing to accept a much slower speed on the non-flat terrain, you can setup the gearing range on the pedal drivetrain to give you a low enough gear to keep the motor power in a non-destructive range for climbing things, up thru gears for different speeds and slopes, to a high enough gear to get you the 35mph, at least on the flat roads, and probably use this motor driving the pedal drivetrain.

If necessary to keep from melting down, perhaps a 2:1 gearing from the motor to the pedals, so the doubled motor speed at the higher voltage is brought down by half to the necessarily slower pedal speed (which will also double the torque input to the pedal gearing, allowing better climbing for the same motor power load). As long as you have sufficient gearing range in the high gears of the pedal drivetrain, it'll still be able to bring this back up to a higher speed for on-the-flats riding.

Sheldonbrown's site has some gearing calculators; there's also a sticky index thread around here somewhere that has a bunch of calculators in it for different things.

Ok, so that takes care of motor power, and now for the battery:

Assuming the flat roads at 35mph, and the worst-case that the simulator shows (vs my guesstimate) of 50wh/mile, then to get 20 miles of this it would take 50 x 20 = 1000wh (1kWh) of battery, minimum, when it is brand new and well-balanced. What you've got would probably do that, don't know how well since it is not brand new if it came from BCH (it may still be in very good condition and perfectly serviceable, but without full testing, always assume it's imperfect--it will save you heartache later. ;) ).

As it ages it will lose capability and capacity, so I reocmmend adding at least 20-25% to compensate, so even when its 2+ years old it still does what you want. If you still need 20 miles of range, regardless of headwinds or detours, then add at least another 20-25% to compensate for those if you ever have to deal with them, so you could end up needing 1500wh+, which is a pretty big and heavy battery. Call it two of the Greenworks you have there, perhaps.

If the GW pack can handle 40A continuously without much voltage sag, then it'll handle the above simulated scenarios. The more sag it has, the slower the bike would go in the various simulations. (they already account for some sag based on the characteristics of the chosen pack; I just picked the biggest 72Ah pack listed for quickness of setting up).

I feel I have missed noting something, but cant' think of anything else ATM.

This statement I don't understand. If you've already spent a certain amount of money on it, you can't have the total cost be less than that, unless you are selling off parts of it to make that money back, or something else I haven't thought of. :?

You must mean something else, but I don't know what it would be. :/

Wow, amber wolf, and E-HP thanks for the detailed responses. Gave me a lot to think about, and showed me quite a bit of lacking in my explanation. Here are some points of clarification:
E-HP:
singlespeed was the incorrect term, 1x drivetrain is what I should have said. I traded the three gears up front for one narrow wide ring while retaining the rear 9 speed. Great point about mid drive and single speed....just do a hub!

Amberwolf: Thanks for all your comments! here are some things:
-My design will mount the hub motor in the middle of the triangle. Then the front brake rotor on the hub motor will be replaced with a gear that runs a chain to the cranks. Two gears will be mounted on the cranks, one to the motor and one to the rear cassette. Similar to the designs in this ES build:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38553

-thanks for your comments about freewheel BB. I didn't even know such a concept existed. I think I am leaning towards staying away from it because of the complexity you mentioned. I stated that throttle control was out because of the direct link between the motor and the cranks, which would cause throttle to apply odd pressure to the pedals, although maybe I am overstating the affect.

-I am intrigued and slightly confused by your comments reguarding full power PAS...seeming to indicate there are only gross steps when it comes to most PAS systems? I like the sound of using a dumb controller combined with cycle analyst V3... I would like to hear more about that.

-Another point that was left vague. The battery will be in a backpack at this point, it is just easier for the time being.

-finally, concerning the math surrounding the battery and motor on the simulator, I really appreciate that, but if I am honest, burning up these motors is the least of my concerns. They were $23 and are definitely just for prototyping and learning. Long term I would love to build a full suspension version with a better suited motor but I learned long ago not to start with the expense parts when learning to build something. Thus, my hope is to keep battery draw to less than 30 amps, and work the gearing around what I have (i.e. the motor RPM and the 29" tires being constraints and using the gearing to get the max cadence at 70ish RPM) with all other desires, battery life, top speed and such were just given because ES suggested them, and now I know they were way off.

Thanks again guys!!
-uBOB

Oh, and as far as cost, it was simply an obtuse way to say I would like to spend around $500. (I spent $500 to get here, and it seemed like a good number to limit myself to when planning the Ebike) Yet again, not so clear!

unemployed.Bobcat said:
-My design will mount the hub motor in the middle of the triangle. Then the front brake rotor on the hub motor will be replaced with a gear that runs a chain to the cranks. Two gears will be mounted on the cranks, one to the motor and one to the rear cassette.

Similar to the designs in this ES build:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38553
That's a thread about a lot of completely different designs, so you'll need to point to the specific post about the specific one you're referencing.

If it's about the very first one by Bzhwindtalker, then that one drives the rightside crank via a second chainring (whcih you don't have) inboard of the chainring that drives the rear wheel. AFAICT those two chainrings are both mounted on a freewheel (probably the white industries or ENO) that's on a "trials crank" that is threaded for a standard freewheel like that used on rear wheels. Thus, the cranks are not driven by the motor but the motor will drive the rear, and the cranks can also drive the rear.

I can't tell if there is a freewheel on the motor casing or not; if there is not the cranks do always drive the motor, if there is then they only drive the rear wheel.

Regarding swapping out the brake rotor on the motor:

That's on the left side of the motor. If you put a sprocket there instead, the only way *this* kind of motor (geared freewheeling hub) can drive a chain with it is if your chain to the pedal chainrings is on the left side, too, like a Stokemonkey (which precludes a standard freewheeling crank). It does, however, make it easier for you to add teh sprocket to the cranks--just change the left crank for a right crank with chainwheel on it. ;)

If you flip the motor so the rotor mount is on the right side where the normal chainwheels are, the freewheel inside the motor (often called a clutch) prevents the motor from driving the casing and thus the rotor/sprocket. YOu *can* open the motor and lock the clutch (welding, etc) so it can drive the casing either way, if necessary.

And not that it matters much, but this may make it easier to get things across, if you think about terminology before using it ;) I realize it's fairly pedantic to say at this point (you may find I'm like that :lol: ), but I'm just putting this out there to see if it steers how you think about things down a more detailed path (which you'll need when doing and documenting this project). The motor itself doesn't have a front (or rear) brake rotor, because it's just one motor for one wheel that is not going to be in the front or the rear but in the middle. ;) Yes, it is usually used *as* a front motor, so technically in that usage it would be the front rotor...but the motor itself can also be used on the rear. (albeit, without a pedal chain to it in the normal way; but it can be done and even have a DIY freewheel added). If it matters, I edit a post sometimes dozens of times before it's "posted", trying not to leave anything unclear. (not that I'm perfect at that, either :oops:) (I've also *never* been accused of overthinking anything. ;)

-thanks for your comments about freewheel BB. I didn't even know such a concept existed. I think I am leaning towards staying away from it because of the complexity you mentioned. I stated that throttle control was out because of the direct link between the motor and the cranks, which would cause throttle to apply odd pressure to the pedals, although maybe I am overstating the affect.
The throttle will only apply the pressure you choose, and you have complete variable control over that in realtime, so you can vary it to match your cadence, etc.

Any PAS control you have will almost certainly have a significant response lag between your pedalling input change (cadence and/or torque) and the motor system's change in operation. Most systems need to use both torque and cadence to do the controlling, and to detect cadence it takes time to count magnets passing a sensor and realize the speed changed...the more magnets the less lag, but it's always still there to some degree.

Now...here's a catch: If you do NOT have freewheeling cranks (where the magnet that drives the PAS sensor is actually on the cranks, not the chainrings driven by the motor), you probably shouldn't use cadence-based PAS, because the motor will keep driving the cranks (and thus the cadence sensor) even without your feet on them, so it will NEVER STOP. ;)

(Not completely true; you *can* stop it using hte ebrake input, which then, once the motor stops the cranks, will be "reset" to no input and wont' self-drive again until you pedal again...but it wont' stop *by itself* when you stop pedalling, and that could cause a loss of control and a crash/etc if it ever surprises you for any reason).

Torque based PAS *might* work more safely, as long as the sensor you use is detecting the difference in tension across the cranks and the motor drives the right side with the pedal chain, or the sensor is detecting the actual pedal / crank pressure/tension.

But a throttle is probably your best simple and certain option to control a non-freewheeling-cranks system.

-I am intrigued and slightly confused by your comments reguarding full power PAS...seeming to indicate there are only gross steps when it comes to most PAS systems?
That's somewhat correct. Let's take an imaginary typical common multilevel cadence-detection-PAS controlled system with a handlebar display, where the levels are different speeds (some use different watts instead). I'll use arbitrarily simple numbers for everything; a real system might be divided up differently.

It has 5 levels of PAS, plus a 0 level that disables it, and it turns on at that 0 level so you can't accidentally make it take off while mounting hte bike. ;)

To use it, you press an up arrow on the display, and it changes to the first level; that has a 5mph speed limit, so as soon as you start pedalling (well, as soon as it detects you pedalling) then it will apply whatever power is needed to make the motor spin at the speed that makes the wheelspeed sensor read 5MPH.

To go faster you press the up arrow again, and it goes to level 2, which has a 10mph speed limit, which it will maintain by auto applying whatever power is needed to do that.

And so on up to level 5, which has a 25mph speed limit.

When you stop pedalling, it stops applying motor power.

If you want to go some other speed than one of those five speeds, controled only with the PAS, you have to pedal, stop pedaling, pedal, stop pedalling, over and over, so that it will burst up in speed and then coast down, over and over. There's no fine control wtih the PAS.

Now, many of those systems have throttles, too, so you can set the PAS to either a level below the speed you want to maintain and then use the throttle to hold the speed, or turn off the PAS by setting it to level 0 (which usually leaves the throttle working).

Most of these have significant delays between start/stop of pedalling and start/stop of motor, when solely controlled by the PAS cadence sensor.

I like the sound of using a dumb controller combined with cycle analyst V3... I would like to hear more about that.
The best source of info is the https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-analyst-3.html page. There's written documentation, picutres, and videos.

But basically, the CAv3 is a computer that takes in various sensor input (ebrake lever switch, throttle, wheelspeed sensor (whcih can be used for motor RPM instead), thermal sensor, battery current sensor, battery voltage sensor, PAS cadence and torque sensors, etc) and then outputs a throttle signal based on your chosen settings and limits. It also monitors battery usage and capacity, etc., and other statistics.

Now, the CAv3 can use several different PAS (and throttle) modes, and even different sensor types for PAS.

If you use cadence control (simple, cheap, it's what I'm still using on SB Cruiser), you can have the actual cadence control the actual speed, or the power or the current. (I use it for the speed). There is a lag for both starting up and shutting off, but it can be set very small.

If you use pedal-torque control (more complicated and expensive), you can have the force on the pedals (more or less) control the motor. This can work in tandem with the cadence to provide different operational modes or a different feel to the control system.

YOu can have a throttle as well, in either method. I have one both for startup from a stop under most conditions since I can't push hard enough anymore to start going without hurting too much, and for full control during those rare (but increasingly less so) times I just can't pedal for one painful reason or another.

There are other things you can DIY and repurpose inputs and limits for; for instance, you can use an analog input to get a signal from an analog inclinometer (or an analog output from an arduino/etc that reads a digital one) and change the power or current limit/etc when on steeper hills to allow more power at those times vs on flat roads. (probably not necessary, but just one thing I could think of in a minute as an undocumented DIY usage).

-finally, concerning the math surrounding the battery and motor on the simulator, I really appreciate that, but if I am honest, burning up these motors is the least of my concerns.
No problem, but you still should determine the power usage you will have to do the things you want to do under the conditions you want to do them under, in order to make this do anything like what you want it to do.

You can just experimentally determine all this, but you'll spend a lot more money either blowing stuff up or buying things that don't do what you want and then having to buy more expensive parts to replace them. This can greatly increase the cost of a "cheap" project, fairly rapidly. (ask me how I know :oops: )

It might be possible to do exactly what you want, first time around, no wasted money or time, if we know exactly what you want the bike to do for you and how you want it to do that. But you'll need to think about and list those expectations, and the specific conditions under which they have to happen. ;)

amberwolf said:
Since with a non-freewheeling-cranks system that drives the pedals with the motor, you want an output speed compatible with your feet on the cranks and pedalling speeds, (best done without huge gear ratios between the motor output and the cranks), then doubling the voltage (and still using full throttle) would be a problem.

So if the CA and dumb controller is used, it seems like the throttle range can be adjusted, so full throttle is only providing 36V (or whatever works best RPM wise) to the motor. That way the motor will run at the design voltage and you'd have the full throttle travel. Would that work?

E-HP said:
amberwolf said:
Since with a non-freewheeling-cranks system that drives the pedals with the motor, you want an output speed compatible with your feet on the cranks and pedalling speeds, (best done without huge gear ratios between the motor output and the cranks), then doubling the voltage (and still using full throttle) would be a problem.

So if the CA and dumb controller is used, it seems like the throttle range can be adjusted, so full throttle is only providing 36V (or whatever works best RPM wise) to the motor. That way the motor will run at the design voltage and you'd have the full throttle travel. Would that work?

If the motor is geared "1:1" (or whatever gets pedal speeds at the motor's nominal 36v rating) then yes. This is what I proposed (without any detail specifying method so it probably wasn't clear*** :oops: ) in the paragraphs following the quoted bit above. ;) (see below)

So as long as you do something (manual or automated) to limit the motor *speed* to something within reasonable gearing between motor and cranks to get reasonable pedal speeds (or you have a system that does not drive the pedals from the motor), then you can use any voltage you want on the motor system.

The Cycle Analyst v3 by Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca is one possible automation system for this purpose.

***I didn't go into detail because I didn't yet know if the OP would return to read replies (often they don't) and didn't know enough about how the OP wanted to implement anything yet. ;)

You might consider this setup I used on my chopper;
content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/16485534543411571757562.jpg
The chain on the right goes to the pedals via a freewheel, same as a normal hub setup. Chain on he left goes to the wheel via a fixed sprocket. The freewheel acts as a locknut for the fixie sprocket since motor torque is trying to undo it. You can run throttle or PAS and keep your gears.

AussieRider

Ok, thanks all for the replies. E-HP had the excellent summation,which I appreciated.
E-HP wrote: ↑Mar 29 2022 12:46am
amberwolf wrote: ↑Mar 28 2022 3:34pm

To further clarify some of amberwolf's points:

- A second chain ring is simple to add to the existing cranks, as it originally had a 3x drive train, then I removed two of them.
-your point about the motor orientation and freewheel in the motor is very well taken. I did not even think about any sort of clutch mechanism in the motor...I was simply banking on reversing the polarity to change the direction of rotation. Is disabling said clutch difficult? Are there other flaws that arise without a clutch?
-It does seem that adding some sort of BB freewheel might be beneficial, even though I don't like the added complexity. Any brands or models to look into? (Im pretty sure it is a 68mm BB but I will check.)
it's fairly pedantic to say at this point (you may find I'm like that :lol: ), but I'm just putting this out there to see if it steers how you think about things down a more detailed path (which you'll need when doing and documenting this project).
-Not too pedantic to say, language is so fluid, but on a message board like this, clarity is the name of the game. I am striving to be clearer with each post.
- I messed around with the Grin calculator, but was unable to determine the RPM (no load or otherwise) of my motor. Any suggestions?
-finally, any recommendations on dumb controllers? It needs to run 72v and it seems like that is about it if I utilize the v3 CA. I know that is a screaming oversimplification, but the v3 seems to rather helpful.

AussieRider: I had a hard time getting your picture to load, but I am assuming you are referencing the orientation in this thread?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75714&hilit=chopper
(Beautiful work by the way)
I had never considered such an orientation, and it is unconventional, but it just might work!! I still have to fix the motor orientation (see above) and see if the chain path from the middle of the triangle to the rear cassette will work (much different geo. on my bike) but I am definitely intrigued!
A simple solution, just change the location to put the motor freewheel in the middle, instead of one end of the chain train. Thanks.

unemployed.Bobcat said:
-your point about the motor orientation and freewheel in the motor is very well taken. I did not even think about any sort of clutch mechanism in the motor...I was simply banking on reversing the polarity to change the direction of rotation. Is disabling said clutch difficult?
disabling the clutch just requires ensuring the inner piece always drives the outer one (or vice-versa) and cannot slip or rotate separately. Generally they look like this, in some similar form:
mini31[1].jpg
A number of methods ahve been used, with welding it being the most certain. It's generally greased or oiled, so the first thing you'd probably do is remove the gears adn bearings from it, then totally degrease and clean the clutch itself (don't do that to the gears or bearings).

Filling the spaces in the clutch including the space around and behind the clutch rollers with epoxy has been done; dont' recall how well it worked.

Inserting "wedges" behind the rollers (where the springs are) to force them to stay engaged with the core, has also been done (dont' rememeber resutls).

Welding the inner to the outer piece..

Others I dont' recall ATM.

One thread about locking a clutch:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91643

Are there other flaws that arise without a clutch?
Since yours isn't in a wheel, only that any pedal backdriving of the unpowered motor would then have to actually drive the internals, which can be a fair bit of drag on a geared hubmotor.

If it were in a wheel, it would add that drag to just coasting on the bike, but since it's not, and there is a freewheel between the wheel and the motor via the chain/rear cluster, it won't drag on the wheel itself.

-It does seem that adding some sort of BB freewheel might be beneficial, even though I don't like the added complexity. Any brands or models to look into? (Im pretty sure it is a 68mm BB but I will check.)

Doesnt' really matter what width the BB is, since the freewheel doesn't go there--it goes on the crank itself. So what matters is the kind of crank (square taper, octalink, etc), so you can get a "trials" crank that has a freewheel-threaded section on it. Then you put the freewheel on that (like the single-speed type freewheels on BMX, etc, like the White Industries ENO, etc, but with sprocket holes instead of teeth, or make a plate that bolts to the teeth), and then you bolt your chainrings to that freewheel. THat lets the chainring rotate without driving the cranks, but the cranks can still drive the chainrings.

The catch is that these freewheels are not designed to carry a load while the pawls are not engaged, so they wear out (or come apart!) faster than normal in this usage. Since they do wear out faster anyway, it may be worth using the cheaper ones and just replace them as needed. (maybe carry a spare with you if you think you'd need one while riding).

Many of these have only a single bearing, so if youc an get one that has bearings on both "ends" (like regular gear-cluster freewheels do), it should last longer as long as it doesn't come apart (like if the retaining ring unscrews itself due to the load on the chainrings that wouldn't be there in it's intended use).

- I messed around with the Grin calculator, but was unable to determine the RPM (no load or otherwise) of my motor. Any suggestions?
The only certain way I know to do that is to hook it up to a controller and test it. ;) There are various phone apps that can measure RPM of a spinning object to varying degrees of accuracy; I haven't tried any particular one yet.
https://www.google.com/search?q=phone+app+to+measure+rpm

If you don't have a controller to do it, perhaps someone else here with one of these motors can do the test for you. The most likely thread to be monitored is this one:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=106233&hilit=%2Adeal%2A
or this one:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110408&p=1617924&hilit=350w+jump+bafang#p1617924
So you could post there asking for what RPM people have measured for their Jump motors.

I'd say I'd do it but it will be almost a month before I will have any time to do so, and I have a lot of stuff to get done on the trike/etc planned for that week, so I don't know that I will be able to promise. :)

-finally, any recommendations on dumb controllers? It needs to run 72v and it seems like that is about it if I utilize the v3 CA. I know that is a screaming oversimplification, but the v3 seems to rather helpful.
I've had good luck with the Grinfineons (one runs the left wheel of my trike every day)...but they are not cheap.

I've also had decent luck with generic "crapshoot" ebay/etc controllers, which *are* cheap...but there's no real documentation or even a guarantee they will have the same specs or functions that are advertised. :/

BTW, I recommend getting the CA-SA version, because it has an external shunt to go between battery and controller, and external wheel speed sensor (whihc you'd need for road speed monitoring as you can't monitor motor speed for this in a middrive like yours), so you don't have to know anything aobut the controller's shunt value to monitor current/etc., and don't need a CA plug on the controller, etc.

Back