HELP! I'm about to pay $1600 for a 1500w stand up scooter?!

Philosopher

100 mW
If I were to give you about $1600 and you could only spend it on either a Stand-Up Scooter or a powered Mountain Board, (or something like that) AND you had to have it at your house within a week or two, what would you do?

I am shopping for a stand up scooter that can consistently go 20 miles on a charge at about 30 mph, over mostly paved rolling terrain with some bigger hills. I like good brakes, decent suspension, a brushless motor, and the ability to be a bit rough on it. I also like the ability to go off road, through the park, and along maintained dirt trails. On a scooter I'd like 12" tires or maybe a bit larger. A 20+ mile range and enough speed so it stays exciting and fun are the most important things for me.

I am seriously thinking about dropping $1600 for one of these 1500w stand up scooters LINK, and I am wondering if the community would recommend something different. The 1500w scooter looks decent on paper and seems to have at least a 'pretty good' version of most everything I want. That means a brushless motor and a solid battery: the seller claims "48v 20ah LifePo4 Lithium 60a high output (Most advance battery available.)" It has dual disc brakes, mediocre suspension, slightly larger wheels, and is more or less just like my older 48v 1000w lithium one, except this is bit bigger/faster/better. It also is immediately available, so I could get back on the road in a few days. BUT it is expensive, and at $1600, It seems likely there should be some other, possibly better options out there. Or similar choices for less $$.
Lithium-1500-Brushless-homepage-384x427.jpg

My best/most recent sccoter was a 48v 1000w lithium scooter from the same guys. LINK. I was getting about 10-13 miles on a charge. I ride standing up (with no seat). I'm about 180lbs, I pretty much go full throttle all the time (GPS verified at about 26 MPH), and this is over rolling terrain with a few big hills. Over the last few dozen charges I noticed its range starting to decrease (it occasionally left me stranded when it shouldn't have....), and then the motor burned up.
I considered repairing/upgrading with a brushless motor + controller except I suspect the battery is also starting to go out on me.... I'd hate to end up spending close to 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of an exceptionally good scooter when only doing repairs on this rather beat up old one -- even if I bought a new battery, motor, and controller the suspension, tires, sprockets, brakes, etc will still be worn out, plus all the other misc wear and tear.

Are there above-average commercially available scooters/ mountain boards out there that are actually awesome with 20+ mile range?

I'm only aware of the really expensive 48v 1500w scooter I already mentioned.
Is there anything else like that out there? Are there more cost effective ways to make this happen? I can't help but lust over the stunning Mountain Board board member 'nowind' made for himself. LINK
To answer the "why don't you just build your own" question: I think I could build my own, but I don't want to at this time. It is my experience from more than 25 years of building vintage race motorcycles that fabrication projects usually end up costing about twice as much and taking four times as long as expected. (And that is when I already know what I'm doing and everything goes correctly....) My life is really busy and I don't have the time to straight up make something at this time. I want something to enjoy NOW, and then maybe enjoy building something later when I'm not itching for a ride.

I hope some of you were able to read all that and can help out!

Peace and grease,
Phil

I think super scooter sales is your best bet. Sure it is quite expensive, but in the end it is better than building one if you hate building and maintaining. The skateboard build can also be expensive and the etow doesnt see to fit your needs of 30mph. The 1500W can comfortably get you up to 35mph.

I would keep the power lower than what he sells it at. The 1500W is capable of up to 2KW and that can really damage the chain and gears over time. I had to switch it out with better higher quality chain and gears to do fast acceleration all day. I also would recommend to lube up the chain regularly. Keep the range at full throttle to a minimal amd it should be a reliable ride.

I think super scooter sales is your best bet. Sure it is quite expensive, but in the end it is better than building one if you hate building and maintaining. The skateboard build can also be expensive and the etow doesnt see to fit your needs of 30mph. The 1500W can comfortably get you up to 35mph.

I would keep the power lower than what he sells it at. The 1500W is capable of up to 2KW and that can really damage the chain and gears over time. I had to switch it out with better higher quality chain and gears to do fast acceleration all day. I also would recommend to lube up the chain regularly. Keep the range at full throttle to a minimal amd it should be a reliable ride.

Thanks for your replies!
Looks like with these scooters, at faster speeds, I am likely to get about 1 mile per battery Amp Hour, with the 20ah battery going about 20 miles...
These 1200w scooters with 36v 16ah battery are a smidgen less money, but would also probably go the distance I require: [http://scooterwholesales.com/product/super-turbo-chrome-1200-watt-lithium-electric-scooter/]LINK[/url]

I guess the only reason I can justify spending so much $$ for a scooter is that my old one proved itself to be legit transportation. Fabulously fun too.

Peace and grease,
-Phil.

I am still shopping for a FAST, LONG RANGE stand up electric scooter. However, I found where I can get some CHEAP replacement parts for my current scooter, and went a head and ordered them.

Meanwhile THIS 1500w 48v Lithium Scooter just popped up on evilBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191540444261?

It appears to be the exact same as the "super scooter" one, but a bit less $$.

-Phil

You'd have more fun on a dog scooter with 20" wheels and a basic ebike kit on it. Google "Diggler" to get an example. There are lots of cheap dog/push scooters around and they are easy to electrify. I did one and loved it until I realized it was illegal in British Columbia.

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
You'd have more fun on a dog scooter with 20" wheels and a basic ebike kit on it. Google "Diggler" to get an example. There are lots of cheap dog/push scooters around and they are easy to electrify. I did one and loved it until I realized it was illegal in British Columbia.

Hrmm.. Good idea. I've been thinking of making an electric BMX bike.. I do like the kick scooters too. Not sure what to get lol.

I did it. Should arrive soon. pretty excited.
Decided to buy one for now, then plan for how to build the next one. If the next one is better the Mrs can get this one. ♥

Either way, I need something rad in my life right now, and I am super excited.

Philosopher

I got this standing kick scooters from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171732317273
For me, I am already familiar with them, and don't have time for a project before a vacation next week. I have a big backpack and its perfect for groceries and beer runs.

Backpack=excellent, just sling from handles. Weight lower down = more stable (than eg on back of rider).

Le Sigh. Isn't it always that the more important a thing it, the more likely it will get botched up?
From UPS... "A mechanical failure has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Your delivery has been rescheduled for the next business day."
So instead of arriving yesterday, it will be a few extra days.
Patience is a virtue, and I know I am being a bit petty, but I sure am excited about getting the scooter and its hard to wait.
Plus I am leaving on a week long vacation for the beach in one day, and I really really want to bring the scooter to cruise along the boardwalk, etc. Hope it arrives soon!

peace and grease,
-Steve

Hehe... "mechanical failure". At one point I watched our Canada Post guys bowl packages the length of a transport truck trailer floor, from back to front. I'll guess yer UPS guys having fun riding around in the warehouse or something.
G'Luck!

silviasol said:
Try to find a goped with dead batteries. If you search for a few months you will probably find one under $500. You would have to build your own pack but the controller is compatible with 7 series lipo.

the problem with this is the math.
lets say you DO find a goped for $400.
then you have to put in a Torkinator for enough power with the hills hes talking about.. another $500+
then you need to build a 20ah pack... min cost is $400.. but probably more.
and then you still need to regear it properly ($50) and have a charger for it.

Thats $1350 right there, and a ton of work.. plus digging for parts.. plus its a used scooter.

I think I went over this with him before... this scooter actually seems like a bargain if its really as good as the internet videos make it out to be. Im curious to see what he says when he gets it.

(but mine will still be faster. :mrgreen: )

It looks like I will be refunded shipping. Maybe. But if I am, I will have only paid $1320 for this scooter new.

That is a happy thought.

Yah. "Upgrade" such a dirty word.

(Chuckle chuckle)

Going 30mph for 20 miles? That's tough. I've been riding e-bikes for over 3 years and to do that, you have to carry a lot of battery. 1 mile at 48v is about 1 amp drain on your batteries. You will need a solid 20 amp battery pack that is 48v. That's roughly 15-20lbs of lipos. Also, you can only do this on a brushless motor setup. I was considering buy one of those scooters, but decided not to. I opted on upgrading my current scooter with a brushless hub motor in the future. An ebike might be better due to the weight of the batteries. If you don't mind carrying that kind of weight, then go for it. Do not put the batteries in that seat rack. The weight over time will break it.

pixelzpusher said:
Going 30mph for 20 miles? That's tough. I've been riding e-bikes for over 3 years and to do that, you have to carry a lot of battery. 1 mile at 48v is about 1 amp drain on your batteries. You will need a solid 20 amp battery pack that is 48v. That's roughly 15-20lbs of lipos. Also, you can only do this on a brushless motor setup. I was considering buy one of those scooters, but decided not to. I opted on upgrading my current scooter with a brushless hub motor in the future. An ebike might be better due to the weight of the batteries. If you don't mind carrying that kind of weight, then go for it. Do not put the batteries in that seat rack. The weight over time will break it.

actually when you stick all the batteries under the deck of a scooter, you barely notice the weight while riding.... MUCH nicer than when you stick the same weight in the triangle of an ebike. Its nice and low.
think bowling ball on the bottom of a stick, vs bowling bar 3/4 up a stick... you dont notice the weight too much... thats why so many of these scooters have 30+lbs of lead.

your 1ah per mile sounds promising to me... I have 20+ah @ 66v... (16s lipo) and I am only expecting 12mi range or so... at 40ish mph.

anyway, enough of a threadjack... glad you got shipping money back.. really hoping you get the scooter soon and give a review.

I have not gotten anything yet, neither a shipping refund ( that will take a while and the seller is already protesting...), nor the scooter - but that might arrive tomorrow.

This scooter boasts 1500w, brushless 48v 20ah power, so I am hopping for 20 miles on a charge at about 30 mph. We shall see. I hope!

Lebowski said:
you can get a Honda SuperCUB clone for 1600$ ! Seems very expensive to me...

Unfortunately, this one seems to believe 20 miles @ 30 MPH with 20Ah battery. Oh well, we tried...

Ykick said:
Lebowski said:
you can get a Honda SuperCUB clone for 1600$ ! Seems very expensive to me...

Unfortunately, this one seems to believe 20 miles @ 30 MPH with 20Ah battery. Oh well, we tried...
Ykick, can you help me here, since I am new to these things. What would be required to go 30 mph for 20 miles?
All the sellers advertise a potential 40 mile range. I thought setting my expectations at 50% of their claims would be safe.
My old 1000w 48v 12ah lithiun scooter used to go about 13 miles at full throttle on a full chage. Now it only goes about 9 miles. It sees that approx 1 mile per ah seems to fit for that one. But it was also all not monitored use - my only power indicators were the three silly LED lights on the throttle. That an my GPS for speed and distance e.

When the company advertises potential 40 mile range, that's at about half throttle. On my ebike, I was able to go 50 miles at about half throttle. That was about double the range my battery pack was capable of. On a 20 amp pack at 48v, you will be able to travel about 20 miles at full throttle. This is true only to the extent you are not going uphill a lot and you don't have a lot of stops. Starting and stopping will drain your battery quickly as the most amps used are from a dead stop to full speed.

Also, keep this in mind. When you drain a battery, you want to only drain it to about 75%. Beyond that, your battery will have to work much harder to maintain the amps and that extra work translates into heat. If your battery is capable of cranking out 50 amps, it's easy when it has 20 amps capacity. At 5 amps capacity, it struggles to do that and a battery that struggles means a shorter life span. This comes from real world experience. After learning this the hard way flying electric RC airplanes, I now keep 25% minimum left over in my packs. This results in 3 years average lifespan for my lipo packs. Lifepo4 batteries will last even longer.

If you plan on going 20 miles at full throttle, I suggest getting a bigger pack. If you don't care about battery longevity, then keep the 20amp pack and max out the range. Lifepo4 packs cost more, but save you money in the long run vs lipos. Lipos are the best bang for the buck, but they don't have the cycle life.

Back