HELP! I'm about to pay $1600 for a 1500w stand up scooter?!

I got the scooter, but had to immediately leave town for two weeks. I have some unboxing pics and questions soon to follow.

there is a special power system used on the Enterprise that used dilithium crystals. that may get you the range you need.

dilithium is better because you get twice the miles than from monolithium.

there is a special power system used on the Enterprise that used dilithium crystals. that may get you the range you need.

this made me giggle, so hard.
dnmun said:

Hi Philosopher. Wish I had seen your thread earlier. I would have recommended an E-Twow S2. It has KERS, which helps with the range.

Philosopher said:
If I were to give you about $1600 and you could only spend it on either a Stand-Up Scooter or a powered Mountain Board, (or something like that) AND you had to have it at your house within a week or two, what would you do?

I am shopping for a stand up scooter that can consistently go 20 miles on a charge at about 30 mph, over mostly paved rolling terrain with some bigger hills. I like good brakes, decent suspension, a brushless motor, and the ability to be a bit rough on it. I also like the ability to go off road, through the park, and along maintained dirt trails. On a scooter I'd like 12" tires or maybe a bit larger. A 20+ mile range and enough speed so it stays exciting and fun are the most important things for me.

I am seriously thinking about dropping $1600 for one of these 1500w stand up scooters LINK, and I am wondering if the community would recommend something different. The 1500w scooter looks decent on paper and seems to have at least a 'pretty good' version of most everything I want. That means a brushless motor and a solid battery: the seller claims "48v 20ah LifePo4 Lithium 60a high output (Most advance battery available.)" It has dual disc brakes, mediocre suspension, slightly larger wheels, and is more or less just like my older 48v 1000w lithium one, except this is bit bigger/faster/better. It also is immediately available, so I could get back on the road in a few days. BUT it is expensive, and at $1600, It seems likely there should be some other, possibly better options out there. Or similar choices for less $$.
Lithium-1500-Brushless-homepage-384x427.jpg

My best/most recent sccoter was a 48v 1000w lithium scooter from the same guys. LINK. I was getting about 10-13 miles on a charge. I ride standing up (with no seat). I'm about 180lbs, I pretty much go full throttle all the time (GPS verified at about 26 MPH), and this is over rolling terrain with a few big hills. Over the last few dozen charges I noticed its range starting to decrease (it occasionally left me stranded when it shouldn't have....), and then the motor burned up.
I considered repairing/upgrading with a brushless motor + controller except I suspect the battery is also starting to go out on me.... I'd hate to end up spending close to 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of an exceptionally good scooter when only doing repairs on this rather beat up old one -- even if I bought a new battery, motor, and controller the suspension, tires, sprockets, brakes, etc will still be worn out, plus all the other misc wear and tear.

Are there above-average commercially available scooters/ mountain boards out there that are actually awesome with 20+ mile range?

I'm only aware of the really expensive 48v 1500w scooter I already mentioned.
Is there anything else like that out there? Are there more cost effective ways to make this happen? I can't help but lust over the stunning Mountain Board board member 'nowind' made for himself. LINK
To answer the "why don't you just build your own" question: I think I could build my own, but I don't want to at this time. It is my experience from more than 25 years of building vintage race motorcycles that fabrication projects usually end up costing about twice as much and taking four times as long as expected. (And that is when I already know what I'm doing and everything goes correctly....) My life is really busy and I don't have the time to straight up make something at this time. I want something to enjoy NOW, and then maybe enjoy building something later when I'm not itching for a ride.

I hope some of you were able to read all that and can help out!

Peace and grease,
Phil

If this model has a chain drive, it will not last long if not fully enclosed from rain/grit and bathed in oil.

For that much riding, you will wear this out quickly. Speaking from experience. This style of scooter has a practical range of 5 kms. Your knees will be damaged unless the shocks are "awesome".

30MPH is not safe for this type of scooter. Been there, done that.

The motor doesn't look brushless.

Have owned many Currie (aka Schwinn, Mongoose) scooters long time ago, and those were wonderful and fun. None of them are suitable for 20-mile daily commutes.
http://www.electrikmotion.com/Schwinnscootersmain.htm

There are mega-expensive $7000 standup kick electric scooters that may do what you want. Lookup YouTube, Indegogo (somewhat a scam site) and Kickstarter. Don't buy anthing expensive that doesn't have real people reviews.

Back