• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

help with geared RC setup

flyinmonkie

10 kW
Alright, I am going to open up the door for suggestions for an rc mtb build. It is going to be quite a while off as I am going to slowly collect parts as I can afford them. The plan is as follows, I just want some help with the details.

Requirements:
gears for pedals and motor
50kph to 60kph top speed
able to climb steep hills of up to 500 meters with out overloading the motor (hence gears)
10k to 15k range
reliable everyday use

Components I know I want:
hardtail jump or dirt bike
Matt's reduction unit single stage
Sram dual drive hub
lipo batteries (most likely flightmax 22.2v 5amph)
dual WI freewheel set up on rear hub

Components I need help with:
throttle
controller
interface for throttle and controller
motor (I want an Astro, not sure what size)
voltage to run motor at (22.2 or 44.4v?)

The rough plan:
I want to try a set up with a 24in rear wheel and mount the motor on the back of the seatpost infront of the rear wheel. The batteries will be mounted in the frame. I With the double freewheel set up, I will use a large rear sprocket to get the proper reduction from the single stage. Most likely I'll used 219 or cart chain with the motor.

I want the system to be robust and easy to use. It needs to be up to daily riding as my main transport. It will be road and bike path and not hard offroad ridding.

Like I said, this build will take a long time and hasn't begun yet. I am jsut starting to slowly collect the parts needed. I really just need help with the RC components, like the throttle and throttle interface and the motor and ESC size. I have read the Throttleizer thread and the a lot about fetcher's magic box. I am not sure the advantages and disadvantages of these or the easy of use and assembly.

Cheers for your help guys ahead of time.

Clay

Back