HONDA FIT GP5 Batteries.

pmmali

10 mW
HI.
I have Honda FIT GP5 battery pack. one set having 4 modules. each module have 12 cells 48V)

My question is can i build a 60V battery pack( 16 cells with a BMS) with batteries and run a electric scooter.

This battery is enough o run a Electric scooter?i have idea to build 60V pack with this batteries.

Attachments

• 9b02bb2f-4d72-4f5a-8924-89e259480984.jpg
    9b02bb2f-4d72-4f5a-8924-89e259480984.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 457
  • 649a4b08-621e-4d2a-bfaf-99d0c8f01691.jpg
    649a4b08-621e-4d2a-bfaf-99d0c8f01691.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 457
  • a14edd4f-a1b6-4f22-9201-3ca49d30d513.jpg
    a14edd4f-a1b6-4f22-9201-3ca49d30d513.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 457
pmmali said:
I have Honda FIT GP5 battery pack. one set having 4 modules. each module have 12 cells 48V)

My question is can i build a 60V battery pack( 16 cells with a BMS) with batteries and run a electric scooter.

If you have 4 sets of 12 cells, then you have 48 cells. If the pack you need to build requires 16 in series, then 48 / 16 = 3, so you can either build three 16s1p packs, or one 16s2p (and one 16s1p) or one 16s3p pack.

Which pack you need to build depends on some other info you haven't posted yet; see below.

This battery is enough o run a Electric scooter?
What are the batteries capable of? Meaning, how much current can a single cell output, continously, and maximum (and for how long)?

How much capacity (Ah) does each cell have, when new, and how old are these modules (how much degradation do you think they have from usage and time)?

Then: What does your scooter require to run it? How much current does it require, continuously and maximum, and for how long?

Knowing those things, you can determine if the cells are capable of running the scooter. If a single cell cannot output enough current, or does not have enough capacity, then you can parallel multiple cells. How many of them you'd need to do that will depend on those things, so you have to know them first. .

amberwolf said:
pmmali said:

If you have 4 sets of 12 cells, then you have 48 cells. If the pack you need to build requires 16 in series, then 48 / 16 = 3, so you can either build three 16s1p packs, or one 16s2p (and one 16s1p) or one 16s3p pack.

Which pack you need to build depends on some other info you haven't posted yet; see below.

This battery is enough o run a Electric scooter?
What are the batteries capable of? Meaning, how much current can a single cell output, continously, and maximum (and for how long)?

How much capacity (Ah) does each cell have, when new, and how old are these modules (how much degradation do you think they have from usage and time)?

Then: What does your scooter require to run it? How much current does it require, continuously and maximum, and for how long?

Knowing those things, you can determine if the cells are capable of running the scooter. If a single cell cannot output enough current, or does not have enough capacity, then you can parallel multiple cells. How many of them you'd need to do that will depend on those things, so you have to know them first. .

Hi,

First, I don't know much much Ah on Each cell. each module is having 12 cells 40V I have 4 Modules. and I don't have a certain electric scooter. but I am repairing here electric scooters. So if this battery is capable to run an electric Scooter then I can build a 60V or 72V battery pack from this. my main problem is I don't know how much Ah is on each cell. is there any meter to measure the Ah capacity like these batteries?

pmmali said:
First, I don't know much much Ah on Each cell. each module is having 12 cells 40V I have 4 Modules. and I don't have a certain electric scooter. but I am repairing here electric scooters. So if this battery is capable to run an electric Scooter then I can build a 60V or 72V battery pack from this. my main problem is I don't know how much Ah is on each cell. is there any meter to measure the Ah capacity like these batteries?
Any cheap RC wattmeter capable of the voltage and current you need to operate at, probably less than $20 on Amazon, ebay, etc., will measure Ah, once you setup a load to test them. This is one possible meter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PKYILS
but you will need to determine if it is suitable for your testing needs (if not, there are many others).

There are also electronic battery testing loads available; I've never used any of them so I don't know which would be suitable, but a few of the various battery / cell testing / build threads have some discussion of them.

To setup the load, you need to know how many A (amps, current-delivery-capability, not the same as Ah, Amp-hour, which is capacity) the cells can handle, because you don't want to overload them. If you setup too high a load, the cells will sag in voltage more than they should, and heat up more than they should, and won't supply as many Ah as they should be able to (because the excessive voltage sag will cause whatever you use to monitor testing for a safety shutoff, like a BMS, etc., to shutdown too soon).

If you read around the various cell-testing threads in the battery subforum (the one this thread is in), you can see how those tests are done, which may also help you find a way to determine how many A the cells can handle, experimentally, if this information isn't available anywhere based on the cell or pack markings vs information found online, etc., or based on what these packs do in the device or vehicle they came from.

Same for using them in a scooter (or anything else)--you have to know what the cells are capable of before you can use them safely/reliably.

If you don't know the details of a pack or cells, you can just use them however you want to, but they may not perform the way you want them to.

Are they prismatic ? Rectangular with a nut on the positive side and a nut on the negative side ? If so they are they are 5ah.
Where is the rest of the battery ?
What scooter ?
What controller ?
What voltage and amps is the controller?
Please answer all questions. Yes all.
You would need more cells for a full size scooter, motorcycle size ? How heavy ?

:bigthumb: :bigthumb:
amberwolf said:
pmmali said:
Any cheap RC wattmeter capable of the voltage and current you need to operate at, probably less than $20 on Amazon, ebay, etc., will measure Ah, once you setup a load to test them. This is one possible meter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PKYILS
but you will need to determine if it is suitable for your testing needs (if not, there are many others).

There are also electronic battery testing loads available; I've never used any of them so I don't know which would be suitable, but a few of the various battery / cell testing / build threads have some discussion of them.

To setup the load, you need to know how many A (amps, current-delivery-capability, not the same as Ah, Amp-hour, which is capacity) the cells can handle, because you don't want to overload them. If you setup too high a load, the cells will sag in voltage more than they should, and heat up more than they should, and won't supply as many Ah as they should be able to (because the excessive voltage sag will cause whatever you use to monitor testing for a safety shutoff, like a BMS, etc., to shutdown too soon).

If you read around the various cell-testing threads in the battery subforum (the one this thread is in), you can see how those tests are done, which may also help you find a way to determine how many A the cells can handle, experimentally, if this information isn't available anywhere based on the cell or pack markings vs information found online, etc., or based on what these packs do in the device or vehicle they came from.

Same for using them in a scooter (or anything else)--you have to know what the cells are capable of before you can use them safely/reliably.

If you don't know the details of a pack or cells, you can just use them however you want to, but they may not perform the way you want them to.

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: Thank you so much again for your detailed answer.

999zip999 said:
Are they prismatic ? Rectangular with a nut on the positive side and a nut on the negative side ? If so they are they are 5ah.
Where is the rest of the battery ?
What scooter ?
What controller ?
Please answer all questions. Yes all.
You would need more cells for a full size scooter, motorcycle size ? How heavy ?

Rectangular with a nut on the positive side and a nut on the negative side?
Yes. Image attached. but I don’t know how long time it was used. the person who sold me this Fully Battery Pack me with 4 sets and wires lot of unknown Panasonic components. told me it was imported from Japan from a one-year used car. just disassemble and take out 4 Battery packs. Total 4 Battery Packs. each pack having 12 cells ( 48V)

Where is the rest of the battery?
(4 packs total 48 cells I have it)
What scooter?
I don't have a curtain scooter. I am a mechanic. doing minor repairs on electrical scooters. I just wondering, can I make a 60V or 72V battery pack and run any Electric scooter( without Parrales batteries)

What controller?
above two questions i will give you a Controller and Motor specs image

Once again. i have given Controller and motor description just for reference. and i am not going to use on this battery. my question is. if this battery is good enough to run a bike at-least 50KM per charge. then ill get all batteries like this and assemble battery packs as per customer request. my main concern is i want to assemble a battery without Parallel. just series the batteries for the Voltage 48V 12 Cells, 60V 16cells, 72V 20 cells like this

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Controller.jpg
    Controller.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 348
Nice that there screw tops. You would need to take apart a see why a cell looks like. As we are only guessing what they really are.
But a battery for that would need to be a 60v 20ah pack. for range and longevity. Small batteries big load equals short life.
Thanks for controllers specs. Important.
Will walk you through it. But after we see one cell. How much room for battery do you have ?

Do you have a voltmeter set above voltage bor 60v or more as not to make smoke. Each cell should be above 3.0 or so. Check cell voltage on each cell starting with neg end as #1.
1. 3.1v
2.;. 3.25v
3.;. 4.0v
12. Xxx volts
On a piece of paper for each pack.
Write it down important. Very.
Look up a picture of a pismatic cell and is it the one you got ? Do you have those ?
You might have to build a 72v for the controller for lvc maybe 62volts maybe ???

pmmali said:
my question is. if this battery is good enough to run a bike at-least 50KM per charge.
Insufficient information still to make a range estimate.

Need to know:
Ah of battery
Controller and motor ratings
Average and maximum speeds
Severity and amount of hills
Severity and amount of headwinds
Stop and go or steady cruise?
Weight of bicycle and rider and any cargo
How much the rider contributes (strong pedaling? no pedaling?)
Type of bicycle

All these factors are needed to reliably compute estimated range.

That's the way to build a good bike, but for now you can just ask whether

car_weight x car_range x 1/3 (= pack used) x 1/2 (= capacity remaining) >> bike_laden_weight x 50Km

So, very probably a big Yes.

Nice grab where did you find that pack? Were their more? You have (my eyes don't deceive me that is) you have EH5's they are 5AH each cell and have a voltage range of 4.2v to 2.7v
These are in my top 3 favorite cells because they are perfect for car audio where you need to supply absolutely ridiculous amperage with not much space to spare
They are the newer version of the one I have which is eh4 and the ones I have come out to about 4.7AH each and then I've got the third generation which is newer than the blue wrapped ones you have which come from the Honda insight I believe the 2018 to 2020 models which are 5Ah but usually test right at 5.5AH each

People like the EH4 and EH5 cuz the aluminum casing is a lot thicker than on the Honda insight ones they don't require near as heavy duty of a compression case

It's funny because I'm actually planing on using one of my EH4 10 packs in my Uber scoot 1000 which these are completely over kill because they are capable of 300 amps each and or 60c! And the newest ones from the Honda insight China rates them at 75c which I personally would never subject a battery to that kind of power draw but it's nice to know it's there when you need it

In fact I built a 45 amp hour battery at the Honda insight ones and I bought a spot welder off AliExpress one of the better ones the only downside was it did not have over charge protection circuitry they assumed you were going to have a battery small enough to be the limiting factor so that you don't blow the spot motor which they didn't think was going to happen because all the mosfets can bind gives it a maximum amperage of 3,700 amps under 16.8v and they're betting on nobody having a battery that can deliver them

Well when you have 38 cells that are 75 c rated put together ready to rock and roll at 15.5v I was giving a wake up call when I set the spot water to the lowest setting and proceeded to spot weld two razor blades together and upon doing so the two razor blades exploded as the world went through both of them shooting Sparks across the table and not onto my lap the 10 gauge leads got extremely hot even though they're only a foot long and the 4 gauge ofc running to the battery got warm and two of the mosfets blew up meaning it delivered more than 3,700 amps of power at 15.5v and the spotwater destroyed itself right off the bat needless to say please make extremely powerful batteries they can deliver their power extremely fast

I also hooked up my full bridge amplifier rated and tested to do 3500 watts RMS at 2 ohms at 14.4v and I hooked it up to the battery as a standalone no trickle charger no nothing just the battery by itself at 15.5 volts and at 1 ohm which the amplifier is not rated for 1 ohm but it didn't fry surprisingly and I unfortunately have no idea how much power it made but I'm guessing it was quite a bit more than 3500 RMS seeing as it was at 15 5v and 1ohm

Anyway I hooked it up to my American Bass xmaxxx monster 15" rated at 4,000 watts RMS and let it rip with a 25 HZ sine wave and it looked like that sub was trying to leave its own frame and box it almost destroyed the sub and I did a full out 30 second 25 Hertz burp during the burp it dropped from 15.5v to 15.2v then bounced back to 15.5v within 2sec after I stopped playing it absolutely amazing it didn't even break a sweat and it was probably delivering somewhere around 4500 Watts RMS

Thor great that was the 5ah I thought I didn't know they can produce that much power. I find these type of cells last a long time. If used within reason.
So he needs 4p 20s for a 72v 20ah pack for his scooter. Or 80 cells. For range. But could run these cells in 2p as the great cell can take it. But that would limit range at 10ah.
Thor glad that you don't live next to me.
As TURN IT DOWN TO WHAT ?

999zip999 said:
Thor great that was the 5ah I thought I didn't know they can produce that much power. I find these type of cells last a long time. If used within reason.
So he needs 4p 20s for a 72v 20ah pack for his scooter. Or 80 cells. For range. But could run these cells in 2p as the great cell can take it. But that would limit range at 10ah.
Thor glad that you don't live next to me.
As TURN IT DOWN TO WHAT ?

Lol I always keep the bass off when I'm within 3blocks from the house lolz

The problem with him using 80cells is that would be a pack bigger then the scooter lol he would probably be better with something like the A123B 26650 3.3v cells they do 50a constant and 120a for 10sec and that's each cell
I've got a out 100 of them they are great cells you can't kill them and they are small enough that I can just barely squeeze 30AH module using the A123B cells into the battery compartment in my Uber scoot 1000 where was I can only fit 5ah worth of EH4 cells /one 10 cell module so clearly a huge difference in practicality

I'm just making a compartment under my seat that will hold a module of EH4 cells as like a back up for if I run out of battery and 8m not home yet I can flip a switch and have a fresh 5ah pack to hopefully be able to make it home to the charger lol

Back